The Stax SR-507 Thread
Apr 14, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #32 of 361

Quote:
I never listened to the HD800, what are the differences with the 507?

It's hard for me to find words to describe differences.
The Stax definitely have the better mids, and...not a wider soundstage, but a different soundstage. Clean guitars are much more pronounced in the 507s.
The 800s have slightly more bass impact but that doesn't mean the 507s lack.
I think the Stax are overall smoother sounding but they pronounce a sibilance issue I have a bit more than the 800s, maybe that means they are a little brighter than the 800s.
Tonight the 800s were more fun to listen to than the Stax, kinda more 'in your face' than the Stax, fuller, but not to mean better overall, just different.
I don't know how to describe these things.
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #33 of 361
I know, describing listening impressions is never going to be easy.
But it's strange you say the HD800 is more 'in your face' than the 507, I'd have thought the other way around! Actually I think the 507s sound monitor-like and the stage though is not wide or deep is very focused.
What I like most is the timbre accuracy (at least compared to my previous dynamic headphones), which is the quality I care more in any listening setup.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #34 of 361
HD800 is very demamanding with DAC... with different DACs they sound very different, as for 507 they sound different on a different amp's... I listened my 507 with SRM-T1 amp at the beginning of the year and now with my GES they sound quite different, but definitely it's still the sound I listened with SRM-T1 (with HD800 they sound very different with any changes, STAX is not so volatile IMO), but now it's the whole new level, I selled my HE-6 with FHA 1.3 (balanced amp made for HE-6 by russian company MS Audio laboratory, it gives 6 Watt on 50 Ohm in full class A, it's fully discreate and based on J-FET... so I think my HE-6 sounded close to what they capable of) today, because after I got GES I stopped listened to them almost immediatly (it was more than a month ago), the only thing that is better on HE-6 IMO is the bass "pressure", all else is better on SR-507... now I only have electostatic rig and I don't I need anything else
smily_headphones1.gif
, but my plan is to upgrade SR-507 to SR-009 in a few months
tongue_smile.gif

It's only IMHO of course. 
rolleyes.gif
 And sorry for my poor english 
rolleyes.gif

P.S. Probably will have a chance to compare my upgraded GES with KGSS on 507 soon (my friend that lives in my town bought KGSS+507 combo last week, so planning to make a little listening session in near future), expecting interesting results 
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #35 of 361
Maybe I can put aside 2-4pm tomorrow afternoon and have a proper comparison between the two. When the record is turning I just have to quickly chuck on the other set to compare them both.
nd for fum I will compare the next level down - my HD580 vs SR5.
The SR5 will win in a canter, to me they are not a heck of a lot worse than the 507s, even though the 507s are streets ahead for comfort and that is a big thing.
I'd go and do a listen now but everyone's in bed.
It's about time I had a real good comparison, I spend tons of money on this gear and I just say 'oh that's different to that one, which is again different to that one there.'
It was easy in the old days with my DT990, HD650, DT770, SR325...it was like different cans for different songs, EQ settings, almost.
Now I don't even know what I've got.

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #36 of 361

Quote:

As for the sound, it depends on the acoustic music: Bill Evans Trio or Mahler's 2nd Symphony?
Diana Krall or Mozart's Don Giovanni? Beethoven's Op. 127 or Tchaikovsky's Pathetique?
These are just some example of very different acoustic music, some of them will probably fit the 323S better than the 600ltd.
I listen mainly to chamber music and sacred music and I find the 600ltd to sound effortless, less aggressive and with natural low frequencies.

Treebug, you don't live that far from me, why don't you come to my place and listen to my system before committing to the purchase? I wish I had the opportunity to listen to the 600ltd/507 combo before buying the 323S

Thanks for the offer, but I do have a chance of a home demo from the dealer. Interesting your comments concerning the soundstage not being very wide on the 507's as I thought a wide soundstage was a given with Stax kit.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #37 of 361

Quote:
It's hard for me to find words to describe differences.
The Stax definitely have the better mids, and...not a wider soundstage, but a different soundstage. Clean guitars are much more pronounced in the 507s.
The 800s have slightly more bass impact but that doesn't mean the 507s lack.
I think the Stax are overall smoother sounding but they pronounce a sibilance issue I have a bit more than the 800s, maybe that means they are a little brighter than the 800s.
Tonight the 800s were more fun to listen to than the Stax, kinda more 'in your face' than the Stax, fuller, but not to mean better overall, just different.
I don't know how to describe these things.
confused.gif

The blue ERO capacitors & those cheap wires on the transformer are creating sibilance.
You can do some modification or get a better amp for the 507,
I sold the hd800s  without hesitation, after listening to my bloody modded T1S+507 combo.
The 507s beat 800s in most respects, 800s sound rough,veiled ,2D & lifeless when comparing to 507

May 19, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #38 of 361
Have any of you 507 owners heard or owned the Koss ESP-950. I've found the Koss to be a much better headphone than the Lambda series, but I haven't heard the 507 yet and am curious how it compares to the Koss, especially vis-a-vis the older Lambdas like the 404.

Jun 21, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #39 of 361
I have the 507+323S for some time now and I must say I do like them allot, I like them more than the 007 and LCD2. I'm very sensitive to sibilance and bright headphones but this just aren't(O2 were too shouty and fatigue fast) if anything I wish they were a tinny bit more transparent.

I'm curious how they would perform with the 727/717 and the Tube amps, I guess I will have to buy some to find out.

Btw I'm curious, normally what's your vol position ?
Mine is usually 2-2.5.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #41 of 361
Quote:
What's your source BoogieWoogie? I had the same combo (507 + 323) for a few months but then I changed the amp and I got the 600LTD: a bit more body, a bit richer, but tonally is similar.

Its an North Star 192, known for big sound and refined smoothness. I guess I wouldn't mind a bit more body and richer sound specially with the vocals.

Do you remember your pot vol position ? I'm trying to find if I listen to a fairly low lvl compared to the rest.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #42 of 361
About 9 o'clock with the M2tech Young, which has a fairly high output. I actually had to use some Rothwell attenuators to use more pot.
With the 600ltd I'm about 11 o'clock but my dac now is now a Neko D100, which has a lower output.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #44 of 361
I only listen to chamber music :) Usually it's no more than 75db, the 600ltd is less "powerful" (actually less voltage swing) than the 323. With symphonic music the 323 has a greater control over bass (cellos and double bass) but violins are sweeter and richer with the 600.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #45 of 361
I love the sound of my 507, and found it markedly better than the 404LE, that I sold after receiving the 507. The 507 has tighter, heavier and deeper bass, more midrange detail and more delicate treble.
But the construction of the headband is flimsy. Yesterday on the left side op the phones the plastic square, through which the leather headband must be inserted, broke right trough the middle. I glued it back together and glued another piece of plastic on top to strengthen it, and finally I screwed it back on it's place with the tiny screw. I hope it will hold. An expensive headphone should be better contructed than this!
Does anyone know where I could get spare parts for the 507?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back