The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Nov 28, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #1,231 of 3,003
For me, the choice to buy this DAP came down to a few things:

1.) Portability. I don't want some coupled, amp plus dac unit that is a brick in my pocket. I have done this, I know what the experience is. Towards that goal, I know I'm gonna sacrifice some things, mainly being able to drive high end home open headphones.
2.) Sound. I still want it to sound as good as I can get in the smallest possible unit size and weight. Sony has many factors in it's favor including clearaudio, dsse hx, and dsp processors. Sony has put some thought into the hardware components as well.
3.) Capability. I want to still use Tidal. And I want MQA support. All of those things are there. I want to be able to use Audible with this for audiobooks. I want to be able to have the capability of using any streaming service.

Finding the sweet spot in all those areas requires some sacrifices. There are a lot of options but this device hits all of them. It's not the only good choice, we're in a golden age of audio reproduction atm.

Nov 29, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,232 of 3,003
What sort of headphones are you using with the wired output, if you're using it? And how pleased are you with the volume?

I have a pair of Plantronics Voyager 8200 UC at work - obviously not even close to Hi-Fi, however at full volume on both the headphones and the walkman the sound is still terribly soft, both through Poweramp as well as the Sony app. Haven't had volume issues with Bluetooth but then again it has a completely different volume scale anyway.

For USB audio it also provides adequate volume - tested by connecting my BTR3 directly. Battery drain also increases, obviously. It's also worth noting that the Sony app will try to take control of a USB DAC - if you click OK on the dialog asking for permission, there will be no sound coming out of any other app. Baffling.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #1,234 of 3,003
I have 8,500 tracks on my 512GB EVO and its quick. Also have ~1,000 offline for Spotify & another ~1,000 offline in Tidal.

618XGviQ6%2BL._SX679_.jpg
l have more songs and just discovered it would only browse faster with less songs, yet the nw-a55 browsing is very fast with my library

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #1,236 of 3,003
What sort of headphones are you using with the wired output, if you're using it? And how pleased are you with the volume?

I have a pair of Plantronics Voyager 8200 UC at work - obviously not even close to Hi-Fi, however at full volume on both the headphones and the walkman the sound is still terribly soft, both through Poweramp as well as the Sony app. Haven't had volume issues with Bluetooth but then again it has a completely different volume scale anyway.

For USB audio it also provides adequate volume - tested by connecting my BTR3 directly. Battery drain also increases, obviously. It's also worth noting that the Sony app will try to take control of a USB DAC - if you click OK on the dialog asking for permission, there will be no sound coming out of any other app. Baffling.

Can't find the impedance and sensitivity specs of those cans. Either it's to hard to drive for A105 or you have a volume limited UK model.

Nov 29, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #1,239 of 3,003
yes I have more than 30,000 songs, its definitely an issue with the Walkman app because if I browse folders with another app its all fine.

Use the other apps, or return it and use the a55. Or just wait and hope Sony fix it.

I've got tb's of music because I'm older ha ha, but I never keep more than around 5000 on my dap, I just never get to them all, especially with streaming services.

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #1,245 of 3,003
is this supposed to be funny?, I'm asking if anyone has contact information to submit bugs and let Sony know about their errors, I don't think I'm whining, I just asked once, you were very helpful to me in pre
previous posts regarding my issue so I'm surprised you turned rude.

Yes it was supposed to be funny. Just do what any of us would do, Google sony support or look at the documentation that came with your unit.

Or try another card or split some of your songs so it's not so much of a burden on the walkman app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back