The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Nov 30, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #1,246 of 3,003
After playing with my Fiio M9 and listening to it for 4+ hours I think I will be passing on the A105.

For the price I paid I am over the moon happy with this DAP. Except for the reduced battery life the M9 blows the M7 away. No aggravating audio glitch like the M7 and much better sound quality. It may not have the full Android capabilities of the A105 but with all the whitelisted apps available now it should be more than adequate. Since the Fiio Music App still doesn't sort tracks in proper alphabetical order so I might look at installing Neutron or Pulsar at some point. I turned off all the streaming apps, turned down the brightness and minimized the screen off timer and turned off wifi and bluetooth so it will be interesting to see what kind of battery life I will get.

The M9 was not worth $400 CDN but at $280 CDN it definitely is. Unless Sony shocks the heck out of me and offers the A105 in Canada at a killer price I just can't see it being worth an extra $150 over what I paid for the M9, certainly not with 1/3 the power.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #1,247 of 3,003
Hi there!
I'm now just waiting for my brand new Sony NW-A105. (I will use it with a pair of Sennheiser IE800 in-ear headphones.) It will replace the old one, the Sony NWZ-F886. My question is the following: the new gear offers much better sound quality, etc?

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #1,248 of 3,003
Hi there!
I'm now just waiting for my brand new Sony NW-A105. (I will use it with a pair of Sennheiser IE800 in-ear headphones.) It will replace the old one, the Sony NWZ-F886. My question is the following: the new gear offers much better sound quality, etc?

Yes, it's going to sound great with those.

Nov 30, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #1,249 of 3,003
After playing with my Fiio M9 and listening to it for 4+ hours I think I will be passing on the A105.

For the price I paid I am over the moon happy with this DAP. Except for the reduced battery life the M9 blows the M7 away. No aggravating audio glitch like the M7 and much better sound quality. It may not have the full Android capabilities of the A105 but with all the whitelisted apps available now it should be more than adequate. Since the Fiio Music App still doesn't sort tracks in proper alphabetical order so I might look at installing Neutron or Pulsar at some point. I turned off all the streaming apps, turned down the brightness and minimized the screen off timer and turned off wifi and bluetooth so it will be interesting to see what kind of battery life I will get.

The M9 was not worth $400 CDN but at $280 CDN it definitely is. Unless Sony shocks the heck out of me and offers the A105 in Canada at a killer price I just can't see it being worth an extra $150 over what I paid for the M9, certainly not with 1/3 the power.

I'm sure it's nice, and better with fill size headphones. But 2 of us prefer the sound of the Sony a105 compared to the fiio m11 with our iems.

But battery life is just normal for a small dap, unless you use the Sony app and I prefer neutron. Honestly the most complete dap I had was hiby r5. But the Sony does sound better to me.

I am curious about R3 pro because of that supposed massive battery life. But I wouldn't be able to use neutron.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #1,251 of 3,003
Hello world. Finally got my hands on the NW-A100. Updated and upgraded to latest FW. That's an interesting piece of device with a great build quality and a lot of nostalgia for this anniversary edition. From my first testing even though Android is snappy it kinds of become sluggish overtime. The device is slow to start and does have some funny bugs like when you start it up (not resume, cold startup) it displays the wrong time for a few seconds before it updates. Also the audio settings apps is totally crippled with bugs : you have to kill it so you can navigate back to some of the features that for some reasons can't be scrolled after a while. As for the tape animation when playing it's not really smooth when looking at the spinning wheels. Being the Apple user I am things like taping the screen when playing music won't wake up the device, and closing the clamshell won't put it in standby... Oh well...

My main issue at the moment is volume. Whatever headset I use with NW-A100 wether it's old Bose QC15, in ear Bose whatever generation soundsport it is or a beefier MDR-Z7, the volume is just consistently low even cranked to the max with AVLS off. This is EU unit. I like my music loud and well it seems this piece is limited. Did some Googling yesterday and found it wasn't uncommon for Sony DAP to have a FW volume limitation.Is it the case here ? Am I the only one feeling the sound is just too low ?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,252 of 3,003
Hello world. Finally got my hands on the NW-A100. Updated and upgraded to latest FW. That's an interesting piece of device with a great build quality and a lot of nostalgia for this anniversary edition. From my first testing even though Android is snappy it kinds of become sluggish overtime. The device is slow to start and does have some funny bugs like when you start it up (not resume, cold startup) it displays the wrong time for a few seconds before it updates. Also the audio settings apps is totally crippled with bugs : you have to kill it so you can navigate back to some of the features that for some reasons can't be scrolled after a while. As for the tape animation when playing it's not smooth when looking at the spinning wheels. Being the Apple user I am things like taping the screen when playing music won't wake up the device, and closing the clamshell won't put it in standby... Oh well...

My main issue at the moment is volume. Whatever headset I use with NWA-100 wether it's old Bose QC15, in ear Bose whatever generation soundsport it is or a beefier MDR-Z7, the volume is just consistently low even cranked to the max with AVLS off. This is EU unit. I like my music loud and well it seems this piece is limited. Did some Googling yesterday and found it wasn't uncommon for Sony DAP to have a FW volume limitation.Is it the case here ? Am I the only one feeling the sound is just too low ?

Did you update? I don't have any problems with the audio control settings. And yes the EU ones are gimped. This is a common thing for Sony and the UK. I don't know why people don't buy tourist, Japanese, or Asia Pacific models. None of which are volume capped.

You can find tons of people complaining on Amazon UK about the low volume.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,253 of 3,003
Did you update? I don't have any problems with the audio control settings. And yes the EU ones are gimped. This is a common thing for Sony and the UK. I don't know why people don't buy tourist, Japanese, or Asia Pacific models. None of which are volume capped.
Yes everything up to date. The Audio app still surprises me from time to time but as you guess my main issue here is volume. I don't buy Japanese or APAC because well i'm in EU mainland xD So what are the options ? Buying tickets to Tokyo ?

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,254 of 3,003
Yes everything up to date. The Audio app still surprises me from time to time but as you guess my main issue here is volume. I don't buy Japanese or APAC because well i'm in EU mainland xD So what are the options ? Buying tickets to Tokyo ?
ebay

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #1,257 of 3,003

Ebay, Amazon Japan, ali Express, Acessory jack.

I bought mine from Ebay.

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #1,258 of 3,003
I think it was a mistake going for Android....
The Sony OS in my ZX300 works flawless, quick and with style....

Lol there's no problem with the os or the Sony app. It runs fast and smooth for me. And I can use neutron, hiby, fiio, uapp, poweramp, and of course Sony app. And Amazon HD sounds wonderful.

No if you just want a music player zx300 is nice. But if you want streaming and that Sony sound, this is it.

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,259 of 3,003
I think it was a mistake going for Android....
The Sony OS in my ZX300 works flawless, quick and with style....

Well on the pros, you get the universal look & feel and intuitive how to use. Plus all the apps you can think of including Spotify... But yeah not really impressed by the OS side of things (Android UI being not adapted to a small screen).

Nov 30, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,260 of 3,003
Hello all,
I have a question : Does all sony DSP processors, like equalizer or VPT surround (I remember on my old sony DAP that was usefull to mix right and left channel on some old jazz album with extreme stereo recording, not very nice with a headphones) works when streaming music from spotify and other providers, etc ?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back