The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #1,218 of 3,003
It's quite apparent to me now that some people are having problems that I'm not having. Or that some people's definitions of what a problem is - ie, battery life issues - aren't the same at all as what mine are.

The actual biggest problems for me were the battery life with battery saver issue and honestly, the power output. If the resampling issue turns out to be true then obviously that's a crazy big problem but it doesn't seem to be affecting me, and I don't have equipment to measure it in a way that I trust. I just have to go by how I expect apps to work and how things sound to me, which is in line with my expectations for the device.

Obviously I have some serious critical listening rigs and those are on a different level. This is just my portable and I wanted it to work better as a unit than my previous ultra portable solution (a dragonfly that died....rip) and so far it has been. So I'm feeling okay about it.

Is it the best dap for the buck ? Prolly not. Is it the best P/P dap ? prolly not. But it is a sony walkman with some nice features and build :) And maybe some stuff that has to get worked out over time.

Nope I've got no problems since standby time is better. It's a great sounding little andtoid dap that works great, love the Sony sound. If you need more power you can always add an amp.

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #1,220 of 3,003
The thing is that the more i learn about this walkman the less i want it.

its 50% more expensive then the previous generation, the techmoan review basically shows it as a crippled tablet more then a dap, impressions on this thread express that sound quality is similar to the A55, battery life is half of the earlier generation and the only real benefit is wifi for streaming and USB C instead of the horrible WM port sony insisted on before.

Im starting to think that maybe if sony releases a lesser E or S series walkman (those cheap ones that use to be capped at 8 or 16gb) with USB C, it would be my perfect walkman currently.

If you don't need streaming then you don't need this player. Android is currently needed for correct working & offline for streaming services.

I'm finding SQ better than any other DAP/DAC I've had including ZX300, ZX2, X5III, M11, Hiby R5 and also DFR and V30+. I'm even preferring to the Mojo. (but this is with undemanding IEM's, not headphones).

Bonus is I only paid £236 for my Japanese import (No CAP) rather than £320 for UK price on Amazon. A Sony NW-A55L is £180 in UK.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,221 of 3,003
I understand I can use it with an amp. But I'm going for ultraportable which would defeat the purpose..

All I'm saying is my 1988 Sony Walkman A10 cassette player has 50 percent louder power output on it's headphones compared to this little guy. That was a surprise.

I think maybe it's because they want to protect people's hearing nowadays tho. It could get a little louder, I usually play around 100-105 depending on headphones.

Also Happy Thanksgiving :)

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #1,222 of 3,003
Don't know what the update changed but still won't recognise my Sony remote :disappointed:

RMT-NWS20
upload_2019-11-28_20-2-33.jpeg

All other DAP's and phones find it OK.

Anybody know best way to ask right person/dept. at Sony for reason?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #1,223 of 3,003
I understand I can use it with an amp. But I'm going for ultraportable which would defeat the purpose..

All I'm saying is my 1988 Sony Walkman A10 cassette player has 50 percent louder power output on it's headphones compared to this little guy. That was a surprise.

I think maybe it's because they want to protect people's hearing nowadays tho. It could get a little louder, I usually play around 100-105 depending on headphones.

Also Happy Thanksgiving :)

Yep that was just a general statement if anybody wants to drive demanding headphones you can get a nice amp or dragonfly relatively cheap. Because as good as this thing sounds with my iems it wouldn't sound as good as say dx160 for example with senn hd650- 600.

This is perfect for easy to drive stuff, and has low noise.

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #1,228 of 3,003
Yep that was just a general statement if anybody wants to drive demanding headphones you can get a nice amp or dragonfly relatively cheap. Because as good as this thing sounds with my iems it wouldn't sound as good as say dx160 for example with senn hd650- 600.

This is perfect for easy to drive stuff, and has low noise.

I am not thrilled with that logic, I mean to spend this much on a DAP and then need an amp as well. For the cost of the two components why not just buy a more powerful DAP? I finally got rid of my A17 because I got tired of having to carry yet another device with my Q1 DAC/amp. Not exactly the most portable solution for sure. I get that you love the "Sony sound", I do to which is why I am still sticking around this thread. But it still needs to make sense power wise. Plenty of more powerful Android DAP's that would cost about the same as the A105 with or without an amp.

I wonder for example if the Hiby R6 with MSEB could be tweaked to sound like a Sony DAP?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,230 of 3,003
I am not thrilled with that logic, I mean to spend this much on a DAP and then need an amp as well. For the cost of the two components why not just buy a more powerful DAP? I finally got rid of my A17 because I got tired of having to carry yet another device with my Q1 DAC/amp. Not exactly the most portable solution for sure. I get that you love the "Sony sound", I do to which is why I am still sticking around this thread. But it still needs to make sense power wise. Plenty of more powerful Android DAP's that would cost about the same as the A105 with or without an amp.

I wonder for example if the Hiby R6 with MSEB could be tweaked to sound like a Sony DAP?

I don't need a dap :wink: it drives everything I own fine. Just saying it's an option. The cans I mentioned especially hd600 really almost need a dedicated headphone amp to shine.

I really had no intention of getting this player. But psikey loved the sound, so I had to try it. And it sounds really good, much better than I expected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back