The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Nov 28, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #1,202 of 3,003
Either you have a horrible/fake card or there are tons of errors on your card or your 105 is screwed. I'd try another card or scan your current one for errors first.

I'm using a 256 evo and it's not lagging at all on folder view.

The first hit on folders was a miss hit as I'm holding my phone in front of a105

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #1,203 of 3,003
The thing is that the more i learn about this walkman the less i want it.

its 50% more expensive then the previous generation, the techmoan review basically shows it as a crippled tablet more then a dap, impressions on this thread express that sound quality is similar to the A55, battery life is half of the earlier generation and the only real benefit is wifi for streaming and USB C instead of the horrible WM port sony insisted on before.

Im starting to think that maybe if sony releases a lesser E or S series walkman (those cheap ones that use to be capped at 8 or 16gb) with USB C, it would be my perfect walkman currently.

Nov 28, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #1,204 of 3,003
Is the battery draining slower? Or am I tripping? Maybe not.

No, you are correct. 6% in 30 minutes of listening with the same environment as before (Poweramp, LDAC 990, assortment of FLAC Hi-Res & normal + AAC 384 kbps, all on microSD, WiFi off, battery saver off, no notable apps in the background except for Pano Scrobbler & Tasker). This extrapolates to about 8 hours on a full charge, which is well within Sony's official numbers. Will report on idle consumption tomorrow. First inconclusive test - battery stayed on 100% for almost 4 hours without using the player at all, Bluetooth on and disconnected, WiFi off.

Edit: I might know what happened but I did not perform precise testing. Last night, while trying some apps for monitoring CPU usage, I noticed that all 4 cores were always on even when I wasn't using the walkman. But I had it on charge, so I assumed that's the reason. Maybe they really were always on and this update introduced core hotplugging.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,206 of 3,003
No, you are correct. 6% in 30 minutes of listening with the same environment as before (Poweramp, LDAC 990, assortment of FLAC Hi-Res & normal + AAC 384 kbps, all on microSD, WiFi off, battery saver off, no notable apps in the background except for Pano Scrobbler & Tasker). This extrapolates to about 8 hours on a full charge, which is well within Sony's official numbers. Will report on idle consumption tomorrow. First inconclusive test - battery stayed on 100% for almost 4 hours without using the player at all, Bluetooth on and disconnected, WiFi off.

Edit: I might know what happened but I did not perform precise testing. Last night, while trying some apps for monitoring CPU usage, I noticed that all 4 cores were always on even when I wasn't using the walkman. But I had it on charge, so I assumed that's the reason. Maybe they really were always on and this update introduced core hotplugging.

I thought it was draining slower, I noticed it was using all 4 cores too. Well indeed that's good news.

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #1,207 of 3,003
The thing is that the more i learn about this walkman the less i want it.

its 50% more expensive then the previous generation, the techmoan review basically shows it as a crippled tablet more then a dap, impressions on this thread express that sound quality is similar to the A55, battery life is half of the earlier generation and the only real benefit is wifi for streaming and USB C instead of the horrible WM port sony insisted on before.

Im starting to think that maybe if sony releases a lesser E or S series walkman (those cheap ones that use to be capped at 8 or 16gb) with USB C, it would be my perfect walkman currently.

The sound is better than A55.

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #1,208 of 3,003
the browsing of folders is so slow comparing with the NW-a55, that's not acceptable

I have 8,500 tracks on my 512GB EVO and its quick. Also have ~1,000 offline for Spotify & another ~1,000 offline in Tidal.

618XGviQ6%2BL._SX679_.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #1,211 of 3,003
Either you have a horrible/fake card or there are tons of errors on your card or your 105 is screwed. I'd try another card or scan your current one for errors first.

I'm using a 256 evo and it's not lagging at all on folder view.

The first hit on folders was a miss hit as I'm holding my phone in front of a105

ok now I'm officially jealous, I'll try another card

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #1,214 of 3,003
It's quite apparent to me now that some people are having problems that I'm not having. Or that some people's definitions of what a problem is - ie, battery life issues - aren't the same at all as what mine are.

The actual biggest problems for me were the battery life with battery saver issue and honestly, the power output. If the resampling issue turns out to be true then obviously that's a crazy big problem but it doesn't seem to be affecting me, and I don't have equipment to measure it in a way that I trust. I just have to go by how I expect apps to work and how things sound to me, which is in line with my expectations for the device.

Obviously I have some serious critical listening rigs and those are on a different level. This is just my portable and I wanted it to work better as a unit than my previous ultra portable solution (a dragonfly that died....rip) and so far it has been. So I'm feeling okay about it.

Is it the best dap for the buck ? Prolly not. Is it the best P/P dap ? prolly not. But it is a sony walkman with some nice features and build :) And maybe some stuff that has to get worked out over time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back