The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Mar 20, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,906 of 3,003
Hello Head-Fiers

Have anyone experienced ‘failed to connect to server. Check your internet connection’ while streaming from Tidal with NW-A105, and BT output to WH1000XM3?

Have been experiencing this after couple of songs played. Have tried factory reset and updated to the latest firmware but issue still persists.

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #1,907 of 3,003
Your a star!

I missed that!

I thought it was just the 3 menu options Internal HiRes Audio, Android Audio, USB Audio. I thought the Top option was just an indicator. Didn't realise you change it there too :triportsad:

Even my MQA file is playing at 88.2kHz.

Tidal via UAPP with MQA also playing back flawlessly.

DSD not playing back bit perfect. Shows 176.4kHz

Hello

I have installed the USB Audio Pro to my Soy NW-A105, and have yet to subscribe to Tidal HIFI. But will do so once my trial is over.

Notice there's an add-on for MQA decoding in the app. Do I need to purchase to decode Tidal's MQA files given that the Sony has that function itself?

Thanks in advance for suggestions to this post! Cheers!

Mar 25, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,908 of 3,003
Just come to Tidal, I put 4000 songs at 201 GB and they still play with MQA encoding (wasnt' always this way for downloaded tracks on my iphone in the past). I just need a set of on board playlists so I don't have to futz with wifi or tethering.

Does anyone know what update 1.21 did ?

Finally getting some joy out of the device with latest updates, knowing about how to use pin mode, auto-off, greenify, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,909 of 3,003
Hello Head-Fiers

Have anyone experienced ‘failed to connect to server. Check your internet connection’ while streaming from Tidal with NW-A105, and BT output to WH1000XM3?

Have been experiencing this after couple of songs played. Have tried factory reset and updated to the latest firmware but issue still persists.

Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I only get that when I have a bad internet connection. Off Wifi, etc or tethering network is weak.

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #1,911 of 3,003
No. If you have Tidal installed Masters will play. As long as your account is paying for them of course.
Thanks tradyblix for the information.

I have Tidal app installed but yet to subscribe to HiFi/Master as my trial has not finis. But in the USB Audio Pro app, there's an add-on for MQA decoding.
Is that a necessary add-on to the DAP to play MQA from USB Audio Pro?

Mar 26, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #1,912 of 3,003
I just updated mine to the latest FW, and since installing, the touchscreen seems totally unresponsive. I can't even swipe up to unlock.

Anyone else have this issue? And is there a button combination to reset? If I press & hold power, I see the option to shut down / restart / screenshot, but I can't restart since the touchscreen is unresponsive...

Edit: It worked fine before the FW update, and I've not got Hold turned on.

Edit: Now fixed - I held the power button for 10 seconds and it rebooted. Screen is fine now. I was worried for a while, there :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #1,913 of 3,003
Mar 27, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #1,914 of 3,003
Hello, I've recently purchased a sony nw a105

Unfortunately, when the screen switches off, it starts sending regular pulses with a constant white noise (as if it were not connected to ground) that should not be present. In addition, every time I turn it on / off / switch the hold button behaves as shown in the video.
When I play music and pause it, the same thing happens.

I state that I have already tried to perform a factory reset, but without resorting to any solution.

I wanted to know if it is "normal" behavior or if instead I have a faulty unit, and therefore I will have to return it.

I attach the videos here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CScZ9yGxw9SRecEgzHN3kR2vuveFJ5jx

Thank you all :)

Mar 27, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #1,915 of 3,003
https://www.minidisc.com.au/blog/so...lkman-review-android-for-better-or-worse.html
Lachlan posted his review of the A100 and ZX507, to note, he's a long time Walkman user, from ZX1, A15, 40, he daily drive his ZX300 for the most part for its long battery champ.

So from this review, basically if you don't need streaming services and want significantly better battery life at a much cheaper price get the A55. Other DAP makers seem to be able to improve sound quality and improve features with each new version but Sony is content to placate buyers with new features and minor UI tweaks while keeping the same old sound.

Mar 27, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #1,916 of 3,003
So from this review, basically if you don't need streaming services and want significantly better battery life at a much cheaper price get the A55. Other DAP makers seem to be able to improve sound quality and improve features with each new version but Sony is content to placate buyers with new features and minor UI tweaks while keeping the same old sound.

Trust you to surface when a negative review turns up, always taking the opportunity to take pot shots at the Sonys, don't you get bored?

Yet you seem to have ignored Techmoan's review where he did a true blind test using an audio switch and he twisted the input cables with enough turns that he can't tell which was which and finds that the one he constantly picked out as sounding better was the A105, even though originally he didn't think the A105 was going to be much of an improvement and was the reason he bought the A55 for doing an actual test comparison because he was testing his theory where he can ditch the more expensive A105 for the cheaper A55.

Technoman's method is a lot less biased than most reviews comparing the A105 to the older models due to his test method.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #1,917 of 3,003
Anyone give me some advice on wireless headphones to go with mine...? I've got a few sets already (Bose QC35 II's, Master & Dynamic MW60's, Flare Audio Pros, AirPod Pro) but none of them support LDAC or AptX HD (as far as I know). I've looked at the Sony WH-1000XM3's, but don't know whether I'd actually hear any difference in using LDAC / AptX HD in real life.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,918 of 3,003
I have used the Sony WH-1000XMs with LDAC on the Sony WM1A, verifying that I was in LDAC mode via the display.

i could hear no improvement over the non-LDAC setting on the same headphone and DAC.

Mar 27, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,919 of 3,003
Spoty only 10K songs?
What about my own library... 58K
15853439650373994041944397469994.jpg

Mar 28, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,920 of 3,003
I have to note, Lachlan is not a proponent of DAP change the sound of a headphone in any big way, unless its under powered. he's way more concerned with features, ports option, UI, Portability, etc.
That's why he owned the ZX300 for its battery life
and bought the A105 for its full android and size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back