The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Mar 28, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #1,921 of 3,003
deleted, wrong post

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,922 of 3,003
The nwa105 sounds quite a better to my ears than the n45 and n55, more detail and a better developed sound stage. And as I said before after having them both twice to make sure, the nwa 105 sounds better than the hiby r3 pro which is a fine sounding unit.

It just has more body and a bigger more 3d sound. And the firmware updates have helped the standby time. I never really had a problem with the battery time, as the other small streaming daps weren't any better than the Sony, those being fiio m6, and ak sr15, both which when using wifi the battery really drained fast.

And the normal battery life is better than both of them using the Sony app. And on par or slightly better using other music apps. Also it charges very fast.

I highly reccomend the a105 if your looking for a tiny great sounding android dap and don't have demanding cans or iems.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,923 of 3,003
On another note, anyone know a quick simple fix for album art not showing up on the Sony app? I'm using another card and I think it used a program last time that fixed the issue and was dead easy to use but I deleted it :frowning2:

Thnx

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #1,925 of 3,003
What do you think about a comparison between the Sony NWA-105 and the AK Norma (SR15)?

Well both are nice, the Sony is smaller and full android and sounds better to my ears, ak sr15 is more coloured sounding in the mids and has a narrower stage. But the norma does have more power and a balanced output.

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #1,928 of 3,003
Do you say, that the significantly cheaper Sony DAP sounds better?

Yes, that's exactly what I said:) As long as you have easy to drive stuff the Sony sounds great. The sr15 sounds really good but like I said the stage on the a105 is bigger and has a better 3d effect and is not as forward- coloured in the mids.

I've had a ton of daps lately and the more $$$ = better sound equation just doesn't jibe. Ibasso dx160 is good sounding too, but I can use the Sony for working out also because it's tiny. Realky no daps-amps I've tested lately have sounded weak or bad, they all sound good.

Just a few sonic flavorings, and of course that's with my ears and gear so you know take it with a grain of sodium.

I've always thought Sony does a great job of portraying a soundstage. There's just something different about their sound.

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,929 of 3,003
Trust you to surface when a negative review turns up, always taking the opportunity to take pot shots at the Sonys, don't you get bored?

Yet you seem to have ignored Techmoan's review where he did a true blind test using an audio switch and he twisted the input cables with enough turns that he can't tell which was which and finds that the one he constantly picked out as sounding better was the A105, even though originally he didn't think the A105 was going to be much of an improvement and was the reason he bought the A55 for doing an actual test comparison because he was testing his theory where he can ditch the more expensive A105 for the cheaper A55.

Technoman's method is a lot less biased than most reviews comparing the A105 to the older models due to his test method.

Uh I prefaced my post by saying based on this persons review!!! But in all fairness when it comes to the A series DAP's if you don't need wifi and streaming then the A55 is probably a better option based on same power but much better battery life. I have yet to read any reviews comparing the A105 and A55 that gives a significant edge to the A105 in sound quality. So if the sound quality is in the same ballpark and you don't need streaming and want to save $180 CDN then go for the A55.

Interesting how any review that rave about the A105 must be wrong in your opinion. Kind of why we all have our own opinions and not just yours.

I don't think you come out and say get the A105 instead of the A55 even if you don't need streaming services? Especially given how much more the A105 is than the A55. I am not making any statements in these posts that is untrue so chill out, just stating my opinion.

Obviously if you want streaming then the A55 is not an option. There is a reason Sony is still selling both models.

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #1,930 of 3,003
Yep there's been a couple of people besides me that noticed the bigger stage of the 105 vs the 45 and 55. I think the more revealing the iems/cans are the bigger difference you notice. Of course it's more money and the non android versions have better battery life.

Well also you can use different music players on the 105 that have a different sound from the Sony app. I guess it depends on how much better sound is worth to you. It's not night and day but I definitely like the sound of the 105 better than the two older gens. And I like the slightly different design aesthetics.

It's a real good time to get a a45 and a55. I got an a55 for 148 dollars to try out. I returned it because I liked the sound of the 105 better but that was a good deal.

If you're interested in those 2 models check amazon regularly. The price fluctuates quite frequently.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #1,931 of 3,003
The nwa105 sounds quite a better to my ears than the n45 and n55, more detail and a better developed sound stage. And as I said before after having them both twice to make sure, the nwa 105 sounds better than the hiby r3 pro which is a fine sounding unit.

It just has more body and a bigger more 3d sound. And the firmware updates have helped the standby time. I never really had a problem with the battery time, as the other small streaming daps weren't any better than the Sony, those being fiio m6, and ak sr15, both which when using wifi the battery really drained fast.

And the normal battery life is better than both of them using the Sony app. And on par or slightly better using other music apps. Also it charges very fast.

I highly reccomend the a105 if your looking for a tiny great sounding android dap and don't have demanding cans or iems.

Okey so the question is if you don't need streaming is the sound quality difference enough to justify losing the battery life and paying in my case $180 more? If you don't need streaming then Android is pointless and adds alot of useless bloat. If money was no object then maybe I would pay more for the A105 over the A55, but it is in my case.

That is all I am saying, not saying the A105 doesn't sound better but bang for the buck it does not make sense for me to pay for alot of stuff I don't need. I struggle to justify my Fiio M9 as I don't use the wifi or the balanced output and it was $200 CDN less than the A105 will sell for. I probably would have gone for the Shanling M2X if it had been available here. Neither the A55 or A105 is available in Canada yet.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #1,932 of 3,003
Okey so the question is if you don't need streaming is the sound quality difference enough to justify losing the battery life and paying in my case $180 more? If you don't need streaming then Android is pointless and adds alot of useless bloat. If money was no object then maybe I would pay more for the A105 over the A55, but it is in my case.

That is all I am saying, not saying the A105 doesn't sound better but bang for the buck it does not make sense for me to pay for alot of stuff I don't need. I struggle to justify my Fiio M9 as I don't use the wifi or the balanced output and it was $200 CDN less than the A105 will sell for. I probably would have gone for the Shanling M2X if it had been available here. Neither the A55 or A105 is available in Canada yet.

A55 is definitely a better deal and it's a nice dap, so is r3 pro for 200 bucks. But if you can get the A55 cheaper and don't need the extra power I'd get the Sony for sure. There are some annoyances on some of the Chinese daps, I never get bluetooth drop outs on a Sony.

I imagine the Shanling is pretty nice. I've had a couple of Shanlings and they were solid.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #1,933 of 3,003
Uh I prefaced my post by saying based on this persons review!!! But in all fairness when it comes to the A series DAP's if you don't need wifi and streaming then the A55 is probably a better option based on same power but much better battery life. I have yet to read any reviews comparing the A105 and A55 that gives a significant edge to the A105 in sound quality. So if the sound quality is in the same ballpark and you don't need streaming and want to save $180 CDN then go for the A55.

Interesting how any review that rave about the A105 must be wrong in your opinion. Kind of why we all have our own opinions and not just yours.

The issue with most audiophile reviews - especially the A55 vs A105 review you are quoting - is that they are just quick sighted AB testings where they swap headphones on the fly. While most will accept that as the normal review method, they are simply not trustworthy because it lacks a rigid structure and repeatability, as such you can easily dismiss them as just being subjective preferences.

Techmoan's comparison is thorough - he detailed his method in which he volume matched, sync the music playback, and did a complete blind test using an audio switch and twisted wires where he cannot tell the source, and even then he repeated the test dozens of times and can consistently pick out the A105 being better, this means his results are more trustworthy, and his conclusion that the A55 and A105 is at least different sounding ("better" is kind of subjective) is much more believable than the review you are quoting, and hence it refutes your knee-jerk conclusion that Sony hasn't done anything with the A105 and was just content in being the same (it would really help your own reputation if you don't just surface to repeat the same criticism of the Sony device while hold up Chi-Fi devices in the same post, just saying).

I don't think you come out and say get the A105 instead of the A55 even if you don't need streaming services? Especially given how much more the A105 is than the A55. I am not making any statements in these posts that is untrue so chill out, just stating my opinion.

Nope - I've stated repeatedly since the beginning that the A105 is better sounding (okay - more suited to my taste) to my ears, and if the A105 and A55 sounded the same I would have picked the A55 - but alas they don't sound the same, which is why I actually ended up with an A105.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-36#post-15272665
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-95#post-15346825

Again, the much more thorough test as conducted by Techmoan confirms my much less professional and layman impression - when you can do a dozen blind test and get 100% accuracy, then the difference is considered noticeable.

Obviously if you want streaming then the A55 is not an option. There is a reason Sony is still selling both models.

That bit is true, the A55 is now the entry level and the A105 is supposed to be a step higher, Sony did tweak the sound a bit more (whether this is due to the improved material or not - who knows - because the A105 shared more high class components such as resistors and capacitors from its ZX and NW brothers than previous A series) and it seems more rigorous subjective testing can and will reveals this difference.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #1,934 of 3,003
Anyone experiences Tidal track could not go forward the next track and stops at the current track after finish?

Playback with offline tracks via Tidal app.
Have tried factory reset A105, reinstalled Tidal and re-downloaded all the saved tracks but somehow it will stops at the current track and not playing the next track after handful of songs.

Any assistance/suggestions are much appreciated!

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,935 of 3,003
The issue with most audiophile reviews - especially the A55 vs A105 review you are quoting - is that they are just quick sighted AB testings where they swap headphones on the fly. While most will accept that as the normal review method, they are simply not trustworthy because it lacks a rigid structure and repeatability, as such you can easily dismiss them as just being subjective preferences.

Techmoan's comparison is thorough - he detailed his method in which he volume matched, sync the music playback, and did a complete blind test using an audio switch and twisted wires where he cannot tell the source, and even then he repeated the test dozens of times and can consistently pick out the A105 being better, this means his results are more trustworthy, and his conclusion that the A55 and A105 is at least different sounding ("better" is kind of subjective) is much more believable than the review you are quoting, and hence it refutes your knee-jerk conclusion that Sony hasn't done anything with the A105 and was just content in being the same (it would really help your own reputation if you don't just surface to repeat the same criticism of the Sony device while hold up Chi-Fi devices in the same post, just saying).

Nope - I've stated repeatedly since the beginning that the A105 is better sounding (okay - more suited to my taste) to my ears, and if the A105 and A55 sounded the same I would have picked the A55 - but alas they don't sound the same, which is why I actually ended up with an A105.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-36#post-15272665
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...y-walkman-thread.909629/page-95#post-15346825

Again, the much more thorough test as conducted by Techmoan confirms my much less professional and layman impression - when you can do a dozen blind test and get 100% accuracy, then the difference is considered noticeable.

That bit is true, the A55 is now the entry level and the A105 is supposed to be a step higher, Sony did tweak the sound a bit more (whether this is due to the improved material or not - who knows - because the A105 shared more high class components such as resistors and capacitors from its ZX and NW brothers than previous A series) and it seems more rigorous subjective testing can and will reveals this difference.
Again, more context matter, Lachlan is always a bit of a nihilist about cable/dac/amp changes stuff thing. and he still hold that opinion even now when he works in a headphone store with $2K+ DAC/amp/dap and $4K+ headphone/iem he can try to compare himself, unless when it's about driving power, he just doesn't think the difference is worth the fuss compared to the change in functionality (OS, Apps, streaming, Type C, battery life, Size, etc),
Change in transducer is way more substantial when viewed in comparison.

His portable headphone he owns are Z7M2, M70x, Desktop dac/amp CMA400, daily IEM consist of IER Z1R and Andromeda S, DAP stuck on ZX300 and A105 last time I know.
His observation for the hiss on the A105 is noticeable using his Andromeda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back