The Sony 40th Anniversary Walkman Thread
Dec 6, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #1,411 of 3,003
The transfer is not the issue though - it's looking up the files on the player after the transfer is done which is frustrating.

When you have 3000+ albums and constantly adding a couple of new ones every week, anytime you need to transfer a new album into the folder structure and then manually finding it from the structure is a PIA. Even with having a powerful search feature, the small size of the players like the R3 and the terrible software keyboard still makes it a chore. This is why you want the software to be automated and make life easy.

With the way the world is doing, I doubt I'll ever get to retire, lol.

The Hiby app builds the file list when you asks it to scan for files but doesn't keep that list updated automatically - this leads to another issue where if you see the song being listed in the player but the file is not actually there or is broken and you won't know it until you try to play it. The rescanning of Walkmans means the list is always going to be correct. So if you card was actually corrupted, the Hiby player doesn't actually let you know it....

Recently added :) And the Walkman app isn't rescanning the database correctly. Nothing but the included music shows up. I have to unseat the card and then it will read it. It's not like it even tells me there's something wrong with the file structure.

Although I've never had a problem like that before. So I was going to check the card for errors and see if that helps.

Dec 6, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #1,412 of 3,003
Recently added :) And the Walkman app isn't rescanning the database correctly. Nothing but the included music shows up. I have to unseat the card and then it will read it. It's not like it even tells me there's something wrong with the file structure.

Although I've never had a problem like that before. So I was going to check the card for errors and see if that helps.

If it doesn't show up it's already letting you know something is wrong with the file or the card, or heck, maybe the card reader is faulty.

For Hiby software because the list isn't updated at all until you force it to update and rebuild the database, you can take out the memory card and the player will still tell you the file is there when in reality it isn't.

I was recently reminded by how terrible this design decision is when I was demoing the R5 and R6 at a shop - I fire up the player and there were a bunch of music I was familiar with listed in the player. I thought to myself "oh cool, maybe I don't need to put in my SD card then", touch the song, only to then see an error message of "file not found" - then randomly hit a bunch of others hoping some were actually on the player - no luck, instantly reminded me why I let the R3 go in the first place.

This is why there is an advantage to the force scanning during boot up or when a card is inserted when the player is powered on.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #1,413 of 3,003
I know Android, so one of the other thing I did was disabled a bunch of stuff, turn off all syncing and automatic updates during and after setup as well as putting the device in Airplane Mode. The standby time is fine after doing the usual optimisation ritual, plus I don't stream. I lost maybe 5% from last night when I went to sleep and woke up again this morning (a little less than 1% per hour).
What about the similar size A55 and non-android ? How's the sound compared to A105 ?

Dec 6, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #1,414 of 3,003
What about the similar size A55 and non-android ? How's the sound compared to A105 ?

The A55 to my ears is tonally a touch warmer than the A100 and the A100 has a slight upper hand in clarity. System smoothness is almost the same IIRC from demo units.

Battery life though the A55 will win hands down if you don't use and EQ or DSP, it's just a shame the tone is not quite what I was looking for because I need a little more clarity in the upper stream without EQing as clarity and detail would be reduced as it goes through the portable amps in analog form and EQing will mean greatly reducing battery life as extra processor cycles are needed to work the EQ (I currently use the A100 in Direct Source mode - no EQing at all), else I would probably have gone with the A50.

Dec 6, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #1,415 of 3,003
The A55 to my ears is tonally a touch warmer than the A100 and the A100 has a slight upper hand in clarity. System smoothness is almost the same IIRC from demo units.

Battery life though the A55 will win hands down if you don't use and EQ or DSP, it's just a shame the tone is not quite what I was looking for because I need a little more clarity in the upper stream without EQing as clarity and detail would be reduced as it goes through the portable amps in analog form and EQing will mean greatly reducing battery life as extra processor cycles are needed to work the EQ (I currently use the A100 in Direct Source mode - no EQing at all), else I would probably have gone with the A50.
Thanks for the comparison. :D

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #1,416 of 3,003
From the ZX507 thread looks like UAPP shows its playing at bit-perfect rate but actual is still 48khz.

Still sounds awesome anyway.

Dec 6, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #1,418 of 3,003
I think UAPP does do 96khz

It was your options I followed but member in ZX507 thread has done more testing with auidoflinger and the logs etc. showing 48khz.

I don't have mine with me today to try the tests again myself.

Dec 7, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #1,421 of 3,003
Even for full albums it's still a terrible situation when playlists can't be read automatically.

For example I have an automatically generated playlist in all of my music library software which is set as "New purchases" - the playlists looks at my music library and automatically keep files that were imported (digitally purchased/ripped etc) into the library in the last 30 days. Sony and AK players can be checked to sync certain playlists and the associated music files with library software upon connection, so I just plug the players in, the software does its magic, I unplug the players, and boom, my newly purchased album fully synced, instantly accessible and cateogrised in a neat playlist, *without me doing anything*.

None of the Hiby players or Fiio players can do this without doing a bunch of manual computer work (I already do that for my day job, I don't want to do that at home too). Why are they making my music listening experience so cumbersome? It's not like this is vinyl playing where there's a good tactile and emotional experience in handling the vinyl and dropping the needle on the record and admiring the beautiful record sleeve, or taking a CD out from the jewel case and be compelled to also pull out the lyrics booklet to read it (yes I still do that as I purchase many CDs and is recently getting into vinyls, so I'm by no means an instant gratification guy from a pure digital age) - it's manipulating digital files in a cold computer tree hierarchy file structure which induces no emotional joy, so the computer should manipulate those digital files for us, not the other way around.

I just created my first playlist for my Fiio M9 and it was very easy to do. Just created it in MediaMonkey, synced it to the M9 and it put it in the Playlists folder automatically. Tapped on Playlists from the Fiio Player menu and there it was. Just played it in full and no issues whatsoever. Only marginally more complicated than with my old Sony A17 and Sony MediaGo software. I can't speak to the Hiby experience with their DAP's but completely painless experience on the Fiio M9. I use MediaMonkey for all my music transfers to my M9 and it works very well, no more difficult than my experience using Sony MediaGo which of course is now gone. :) Never tried the newer Media Center app but read quite a few negative posts about it.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #1,422 of 3,003
I just created my first playlist for my Fiio M9 and it was very easy to do. Just created it in MediaMonkey, synced it to the M9 and it put it in the Playlists folder automatically. Tapped on Playlists from the Fiio Player menu and there it was. Just played it in full and no issues whatsoever. Only marginally more complicated than with my old Sony A17 and Sony MediaGo software. I can't speak to the Hiby experience with their DAP's but completely painless experience on the Fiio M9. I use MediaMonkey for all my music transfers to my M9 and it works very well, no more difficult than my experience using Sony MediaGo which of course is now gone. :) Never tried the newer Media Center app but read quite a few negative posts about it.

I tried it out of curiosity on r3 and the playlist worked using MM. Pretty easy actually. But I'm not much of a playlist dude myself.

Dec 7, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,423 of 3,003
I tried it out of curiosity on r3 and the playlist worked using MM. Pretty easy actually. But I'm not much of a playlist dude myself.

I am not surprised if Fiio can figure it out then a software company like Hiby should have no problem. I honestly think the Sony loving crowd look for any excuse to stay with Sony. "Oh I had a Fiio DAP 8 years ago and the software was terrible" argument. Yeah because they were bad 8 years ago they must still be bad today.

No I am not a big playlist person either, I listen to them more on my home system. But every once I awhile I'll get into a particular artist for awhile and will put together a playlist for the occasion.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,424 of 3,003
I am not surprised if Fiio can figure it out then a software company like Hiby should have no problem. I honestly think the Sony loving crowd look for any excuse to stay with Sony. "Oh I had a Fiio DAP 8 years ago and the software was terrible" argument. Yeah because they were bad 8 years ago they must still be bad today.

No I am not a big playlist person either, I listen to them more on my home system. But every once I awhile I'll get into a particular artist for awhile and will put together a playlist for the occasion.

And I'm thinking it is you Sony haters that are making excuses to not acknowledge how bad the software of the Chinese DAPs are;

For example this is the "official" method of adding playlists for the M9 both listed on their webpage as well as the procedure given on head-fi as of June 2019 (only several months ago, not years - if the situation has improved since then, good for Fiio!):
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/49382.html
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...c-usb-audio-out.886226/page-131#post-15026843

It still involves manually pressing a bunch of buttons as well as editing file paths - in fact the video of the post shows that it is essentially opening the m3u file and make a local copy of that file in the player by a "select all" > "create playlist" operation - it is FAR from being just a bit more than having to *doing absolutely nothing* of Sony players! Doubly ironic that you use an A17 player (now THAT player is years old) to say people judging Fiio software from 8 years ago. :beyersmile: I think you need to have a bit more self-awareness of how much of a hater you are coming across. (I also know for a fact that while the M9 will open the m3u playlist file, and if you tap the music file it will play that particular music file, however if you try to skip it will throw a file not found error. Which is why you must create a local playlist by manually duplicating the m3u playlist using the operation as shown in the post - this shows the play software may parse the m3u path name for single files but doesn't actually process the entire playlist. Yes I actually tried and researched this extensively before writing off Fiio players, I was not making excuses to stay with Sony)

As for Hiby R3 - yes just checked, still need to manually invoke "import playlist", and you have to cross your fingers that the format of the playlist were written correctly in the first place. That is NOT the definition of easy.

These's are the facts - the Chinese players currently do not have software that is comparable to Sony or AK. It's understandable that for non-playlist users like you that you do not understand how frustrating the process is, but nevertheless feels you have to make an opinion to defend the players YOU bought. For a power-playlist user like me that have created dozens of automatically generated playlists base on artists, date of import, file format, ratings, BPM, genre etc, the software on Chinese DAPs is simply not acceptable because there is no way that they can force me to manually import a dozen playlists every time I sync music to the player. It's people like you that gave them excuses to just have a feature that is "there" but not user friendly that prevents these players from improving their poor software though, think about that for a minute.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #1,425 of 3,003
I agree.

I have a flat forehead from banging my head against the wall with Qobuz on Hiby.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back