FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Jun 23, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #1,951 of 2,501
I don’t totally agree. The M9 is very much designed for portable use,with the Fiio music app. Used this way it does everything it should,and does it superbly. The CPU is perfectly adequate for this. However,I speak as someone who doesn’t stream and primarily use the M9 for its excellent Bluetooth. I love it,and I do have the M11 too. They are designed for different needs and I think they are both excellent. I would say that it’s well overdue a firmware update and this is regrettable,Fiio need to look after all their customers and the M9 is still a new device. Makes me wonder if they will abandon the M11 when the new daps scheduled for this year appear. They are meant to be high end and I can assure you firmwear updates for the x7ii appear to be nothing but a memory.

I think you are right. Streaming Spotify, wireless, balanced output, LDAC, APTX-HD, and playing local files all really work well and sound excellent. OK like most big companies FiiO will let you down in terms of support but the hardware and basic software is good. Support is the usual couldn't give a ****. That's always the problem. At the moment they are only supporting the FiiO M11.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,952 of 2,501
Additionally,
Once the product is stable and doing well, it is understood that none of these paired back Android DAPs are ever going to be perfect and bug free. The way I see it, as long as the bugs are more annoyances and rather minor it doesn't matter. We also need to accept that firmware updates are not guaranteed to be ongoing, except of course to address meaningful bugs. I think a few people replied to this question before, but if anybody can refresh my memory, what significant bugs are occurring that need to be addressed? I do agree, it would be nice to see more music players enabled such as Onkyo HF Player and others.

Jun 23, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #1,953 of 2,501
Well I agree. As said the M9 is designed for specific purposes and it does it brilliantly. Used for what is designed for its exceptional. It’s also very stable,reliable. The bugs my device has are more quirks than anything else. For instance certain Bluetooth headphones can’t pause and resume a track,you have to skip forward and back. And that is the M9 doing that,those headphones work as they should on other devices including the M11 and other Bluetooth headsets work on the M9. It’s mildly annoying. However,accepting the point re firwear updates this is very much a new device and should still be evolving. At present the only issue for me is fiio link for iOS. It’s an issue because fiio has promised this and have failed to deliver. Just a personal gripe Others have more fundamental issues but a lot seem to be stretching the device into areas it wasn’t really built for. I have lots of daps,this is one of my favourites.

Jun 23, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #1,954 of 2,501
I hope you like the TFZ No.3. I think your Kanas pros will be much closer to the TFZ than my T3s....but I'm sure you will like the bold sound. Keep us up with how you feel about them.

Hi. I have TFZ no3 on its way, somewhere between western NY and China. I look forward. I also have KPE, Io, and KZ ZS10 Pro. Using M9 & AR M20. They all have their strengths. I hit hifi jackpot with this lineup. I’m still amazed how song quality/tip dependent it all is. Alas, still tinkering with tips (ad naus/infin). I did the barrel mod for KPE nozzles, and this was (finally!) the charm, but room for finer adjustments still. Also have Smabat st10 coming. Too many impulse buys! It’s great tho cuz there are so many nuances to explore in all the possible pairings of the aforementioned. (Not to mention cable swapping...). I feel like I’m still in the initial stages with this gear. Glad the Bose, B&W, et al. consumer hyped, over priced/poor quality earphone days are behind me. Oh yeah love my Grado over ears too

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #1,955 of 2,501
morndewey

This bug/virus has me too. It's like the flu. Suddenly my finger overtakes my head and presses buttons. I was tempted by the FiiO M11 DAP. Too big and having to walk around with a mobile phone sized dap AND a mobile phone was going to be silly. I love the M9 warts and all, plus I have the M6 too (love it). Therefore no point for the M11..... and often headphones are a more obvious change in SQ. (I have Grado's too and the M9 'likes' them). But the No.3s are different to any IEM I have had before. To me they have a bit of 'frontline' presence, impact. I can only use about 14mm silicones for my ear canals and they give the bass I prefer and I like the bass on these. It seemed to take some use for the bass to open up (or maybe my brain got used to them....depending on which HiFi religion one belongs to). So I have this sickness/joy/love and, considering I have some real illness, it's the best sickness in the world...HiFi sickness.
I hope you like the TFZ No.3s. I am smitten by them. One thing though....they don't have the widest soundstage, about average. Everything else about them, to me, is pure enjoyment. They certainly press my button.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #1,956 of 2,501
@FiiO

When I use my DAP's to listen to music I mostly rely on the use of external playlists.
your forum page: "How to create external m3u playlists for FiiO M6/M7/M9/M11-using foobar2000" gives quite the expectation that these devices are made to make use of external playlists. My expectations about this however were wrong.

I have over 3500 songs on my micro SD, this means that every time I want to select a playlist I have to wait a full minute for everything in the 'folder' to load.
Sometimes I'm not sure what I want to listen to and have to switch playlists multiple times. Before I'll finally have found the right music for the mood I'll have spent 4 minutes of just waiting which is ridiculous.

On top of that playlists don't show up on top of the folder list... good luck scrolling through thousands of songs.
I put a '1' as first character in my playlists titles now which works. But it just looks silly and gives me the feeling you have put no thought whatsoever in people using playlists.

Can you please make it possible to import external playlists in the playlist category in the Fiio music app?
I can't imagine @RowBearToe and I are the only ones wanting this.

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #1,957 of 2,501
For me, the M9 is much more comfortable than the M11. My phone is the LG G7 who has a nice dac. I do not need two large devices for listening to music. I'm listening mainly to the sennheiser hd660s and the sound combined with the M9 is perfect for me. If I'm streaming music I use Tidal. I have not had problems there. Tidal Hi Fi did not have problems online or offline. Other streaming services I have not tried. I wish there was apple music because we have a family account, but I do not know if fiio will add it. If they add anything more to M9 at all.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #1,959 of 2,501
@FiiO

When I use my DAP's to listen to music I mostly rely on the use of external playlists.
your forum page: "How to create external m3u playlists for FiiO M6/M7/M9/M11-using foobar2000" gives quite the expectation that these devices are made to make use of external playlists. My expectations about this however were wrong.

I have over 3500 songs on my micro SD, this means that every time I want to select a playlist I have to wait a full minute for everything in the 'folder' to load.
Sometimes I'm not sure what I want to listen to and have to switch playlists multiple times. Before I'll finally have found the right music for the mood I'll have spent 4 minutes of just waiting which is ridiculous.

On top of that playlists don't show up on top of the folder list... good luck scrolling through thousands of songs.
I put a '1' as first character in my playlists titles now which works. But it just looks silly and gives me the feeling you have put no thought whatsoever in people using playlists.

Can you please make it possible to import external playlists in the playlist category in the Fiio music app?
I can't imagine @RowBearToe and I are the only ones wanting this.
Dear friend,

You could add the external playlist to playlists category of FiiO Music APP like that:

Hope it work.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #1,961 of 2,501
Have someone using m9 and spotify had this problem. When using spotify with offline downloaded files to sd card. After few days of usage after powering off m9 every time spotify disconects, you have to login with internet and after this all downloaded files have to redownload again and set location to sd card manually. As location don't know why but resets and downloaded files isn't available. Not taking sd card, not doing anything during this time. And this happening again and again. Anybody knows why this happening? Does m9 has to be powered all the time?

Jun 28, 2019 at 8:35 AM Post #1,964 of 2,501
Hi.

Can someone explain what “Balance” feature does when box is checked? It’s in the audio settings. It appears to function like increasing gain as volume increases when box checked but only when using 2.5 balanced jack.

Thanks

Jun 28, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #1,965 of 2,501
Hi.

Can someone explain what “Balance” feature does when box is checked? It’s in the audio settings. It appears to function like increasing gain as volume increases when box checked but only when using 2.5 balanced jack.

Thanks
I have the M9 and from what I've gathered it's a sort of over drive... It adds a bit more oomph to the 2.5 balanced output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back