FiiO M9 , Android based Hi-Res smart DAP with 3.5/2.5 powerful output|AKM4490 X2 |WiFi|aptX/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA(LHDC)|USB DAC|USB AUDIO OUT
Jun 30, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,966 of 2,501
@FiiO

Re: Firmware Update.

Well it seems all of us M9 owners have been forgotten/ignored by FiiO. Not clever in the long term. Short term maybe, long term, M9 users will not forget. FiiO made out that because of the slow processor they could not whitelist virtually any apps, reality has shown that not to be true as there are cracked apk's around and they are fine. Many functional issues around the firmware/FiiO music app search facilities by users have been ignored. Sorry FiiO but your users all matter! Do FiiO understand long term marketing/karma? If you ignore your users FiiO, the results of that ignorance will show up way down the line. My suggestion. Listen to your users more. Same for the M6. Isn't it good to listen to your users? Isn't that the point of owning your DAPs?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,967 of 2,501
I as all of m9 users really feal ignored. Perhaps fiio don't have enough resources to support so many products but not listening and ignoring isnt't best long term strategy. Seeing only new users and buyers and not seeing older users isn't really clever as we all are possible new future buyers but we will make or already made our decisions.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #1,969 of 2,501
Hi.

Can someone explain what “Balance” feature does when box is checked? It’s in the audio settings. It appears to function like increasing gain as volume increases when box checked but only when using 2.5 balanced jack.

Thanks
Dear friend,

The balance option in audio menu? It is used for adjusting the balance between left and right channel.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 1, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #1,970 of 2,501
Dear friends,

Sorry for the delay. The engineer are trying their best in working the new firmware. And they have tried to add some third party apps such as Audible in the white lists. We will try to release it soon.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 3, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #1,971 of 2,501
FiiO promises since March that an update will come and nothing happened. Either there will be no update or the update will not fix the problems, that's it.
FiiO had promised me that I can give the device back if the update does not improve the problems but that is now over.
I dont use the device anymore and was a pure bad buy. For those who own the device, sell it and look for something else.
For all who read here and want to buy the device, look for something else!

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #1,972 of 2,501
I returned my M9 to Amazon in May and replaced it with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red and wired headphones. It seems I made the right decision if users are still waiting for a firmware update. It's shocking that Fiio are suggesting that people buy the M11 to be given a free gift in their replies to users who are complaining about the M9s functionality. No Fiio, just fix the problem with the device customers have already bought.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #1,973 of 2,501
I returned my M9 to Amazon in May and replaced it with an Audioquest Dragonfly Red and wired headphones. It seems I made the right decision if users are still waiting for a firmware update. It's shocking that Fiio are suggesting that people buy the M11 to be given a free gift in their replies to users who are complaining about the M9s functionality. No Fiio, just fix the problem with the device customers have already bought.
As someone who bought the M9 before the M11 was announced, I quickly realized the limitations of the device, and it has nothing to do with firmware. There’s only so much you can do to optimize a dap with a smartphone CPU and a paltry 1GB RAM.

For straight up music playback and basic streaming at a bargain price it’s ideal, but if you want speed and the use of most modern apps, you need the right hardware platform. That comes at a cost, and at only $150 more than the M9 the M11 was a no-brainer upgrade. In hindsight I should have waited for the M11 because it does what I thought the M9 would be able to do. I wanted a dap that at least matched the speed of my phone, and it was obvious the M9 would never be able to do that.

There’s no point shouting at FiiO about this, it’s not going to magically transform the M9 into something it’s not. If it doesn’t do what you need, stop complaining, sell it, and buy something that will. FiiO can maybe add a few apps, but even so, within a year or two most modern apps will have outstripped the ability of the M9’s hardware to run them. As soon as I saw that I switched and moved on.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #1,974 of 2,501
I use my M9 daily at the moment and I think waiting for the update and not selling the M9 and buying a new DAP was the right choice. But this does not mean I am looking very much forward to the update. :wink:

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #1,975 of 2,501
As someone who bought the M9 before the M11 was announced, I quickly realized the limitations of the device, and it has nothing to do with firmware. There’s only so much you can do to optimize a dap with a smartphone CPU and a paltry 1GB RAM.

For straight up music playback and basic streaming at a bargain price it’s ideal, but if you want speed and the use of most modern apps, you need the right hardware platform. That comes at a cost, and at only $150 more than the M9 the M11 was a no-brainer upgrade. In hindsight I should have waited for the M11 because it does what I thought the M9 would be able to do. I wanted a dap that at least matched the speed of my phone, and it was obvious the M9 would never be able to do that.

There’s no point shouting at FiiO about this, it’s not going to magically transform the M9 into something it’s not. If it doesn’t do what you need, stop complaining, sell it, and buy something that will. FiiO can maybe add a few apps, but even so, within a year or two most modern apps will have outstripped the ability of the M9’s hardware to run them. As soon as I saw that I switched and moved on.

The firmware upgrade is not the problem here, however, it's the only thing that Fiio can tweak to give end users a better experience of an underpowered device. If you look back at my previous posts, my issue is with the WiFi dropouts. I realise other users have not had this experience but if you look at one of the rare replies from Fiio they have actually admitted that the problem lies with the underpowered chips that they bought from Samsung. I really don't care any more as I don't own the device but thought I would respond to other owners who were also having issues with it. A $400 (or however much it costs) device is not an upgrade. An upgrade is being able to purchase a $30 component to improve the functionality of a device you already own.

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #1,976 of 2,501
The firmware upgrade is not the problem here, however, it's the only thing that Fiio can tweak to give end users a better experience of an underpowered device. If you look back at my previous posts, my issue is with the WiFi dropouts. I realise other users have not had this experience but if you look at one of the rare replies from Fiio they have actually admitted that the problem lies with the underpowered chips that they bought from Samsung. I really don't care any more as I don't own the device but thought I would respond to other owners who were also having issues with it. A $400 (or however much it costs) device is not an upgrade. An upgrade is being able to purchase a $30 component to improve the functionality of a device you already own.
I’m totally with you - weak WiFi is one of the M9’s limitations, and another reason I sold mine. Couldn’t have it dripping out every time I was two rooms away from the router. Unfortunately it’s not something that can be fixed with firmware.

As for the M11, it’s a major upgrade over the M9 in every department, but I also understand why it won’t be for those who want a super small, slim dap with a ~$300 budget.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #1,977 of 2,501
Nothing is simply one problem and in the case of the M9, altlough there are a few small problems, it suits my needs well. I like it a lot. It's clear though that the M11 is way better, but its just too big for me. As long as, in my case, I keep the cache cleared every couple of days in the M9 using Spotify, it's way fast enough to use and listen to. The music plays at the same speed as a $1000 DAP and sounds great. It sounds pretty amazing with my 2.5mm balanced iems and fine with 3.5mm single ended. It is loud. LDAC works perfectly in most situations and I can use it along with the FiiO BTR3 even connected to my hi-fi. I have an APTX-HD receiver also for playing to my hi-fi. I can play Spotify wirelessly over WiFi, to my HiFi, and get the highest level of sound whether through Spotify or Local files. I have a World Music Radio App. Many more apps are about to be white-listed (slow FiiO). Plus it does its most basic function well....it plays local music files to my IEMs with power to spare. All it's little problems do not stop me loving it, and the sound is exceptional. I don't stop using it.....and it is small. I can't carry a large M11 DAP and a large phone around at the same time. I fully accept the M11 is way better, but I bought the M9, and the M6, and I would still recommend them, and their form factors are great. For me they sound good and function well.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,978 of 2,501
Absolutely, the M9 sounds fantastic and I think given what it is, a well made, decent feature set, small footprint, solid Bluetooth and ability to act as a standalone DAC, it deserves some respect. I was lucky with the WiFi, and while dropouts are frustrating, I think people are getting a little spoiled wanting so much for so little. Find me a DAP in this price point, with as many features sound quality that doesn't have some issues. They all have issues. I am not dismissing people's particular concerns, but to come and act like the M9 is some terribly flawed device based on a few overall minor issues I think might be unfair. I have been following DAP developments for years and they all go through these issues. The M9 is actually a pretty solid balance of features, performance and price. Yes 1GB is a little shy for memory, but I am pretty sure it can suffice for many people just fine.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #1,979 of 2,501
I totally agree. You have to judge the M9 by what it was designed for. It is a high quality music player without frills. You can’t stretch it to do anything other than play music,but it reproduces music in an exceptional way. I have the M11 too,it’s wicked. But I use them for different things. Out and about it’s the M9 using its apex HD capabilities playing music via fiio music app. It’s perfect,and I mean perfect used this way. The M11 is for home use as it can drive,with ease,many full sized high end headphones and it has a lovely screen to boot. I am glad I have them both. Further,I await with interest the M15..if that’s what it will be called especially if it has optical out or some of the features of the x7ii.
That being said,people are right to complain about the lack of firmwear updates ,it feels at the moment that fiio have moved on to the new stuff without remembering to reward the loyalty of existing customers.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #1,980 of 2,501
Absolutely, the M9 sounds fantastic and I think given what it is, a well made, decent feature set, small footprint, solid Bluetooth and ability to act as a standalone DAC, it deserves some respect. I was lucky with the WiFi, and while dropouts are frustrating, I think people are getting a little spoiled wanting so much for so little. Find me a DAP in this price point, with as many features sound quality that doesn't have some issues. They all have issues. I am not dismissing people's particular concerns, but to come and act like the M9 is some terribly flawed device based on a few overall minor issues I think might be unfair. I have been following DAP developments for years and they all go through these issues. The M9 is actually a pretty solid balance of features, performance and price. Yes 1GB is a little shy for memory, but I am pretty sure it can suffice for many people just fine.

Im sorry, I dont agree. The fact that other people aren't experiencing WiFi dropouts suggests that Fiio either realised the problem and started putting better chips in or they purchased a bulk load of WiFi chips from Samsung that were rated at a certain level of performance but, as in any bulk manufacture process, some of the chips were not as reliable. Samsung would most likely have scrapped, recycled or lowered the performance rating of these chips similar to the way AMD and Intel take a Ryzen or I7 chip, lower the clock speed and sell it as a cheaper processor. Fiio sold this device on the basis that they had looked at the market and found a gap for an all-in-one device with local playback, integration with streaming subscriptions and all major bluetooth codecs. Whilst I can't fault it for playback of local content, or Tidal and Qobuz streaming quality on the rare occasions that the WiFi actually worked, something that fundamental can't be seen as merely a desirable option which may or may not work. Yes it's possible to download Tidal and Qobuz for offline listening but that is again dependant on a stable WiFi connection and is an inconvenience that should not have to be endured, especially if there is Gigabytes worth of music to re-download after several factory resets. Too many people are making excuses for Fiio. We shouldn't expect the basic functionality advertised by the manufacturer in a device at that price point? Well maybe Fiio shouldn't advertise those functions in the first place? Can you imagine the outcry if Ferrari advertised a car for a lower price than usual and said that it had certain performance capabilities but when people bought it some of the vehicles couldn't actually do what they claimed. Would people just turn round and say "Oh but you can't expect it to do all those things the manufacturer claimed it could because of the price"? It would be false advertising.

It was clear early on that Fiio were not going to take responsibility for the problem when they blamed the Samsung chip. If they knew the chip was faulty or not up to the job, they should never have installed it. If it is a genuine manufacturing problem at Samsung then they should be offering replacements for the devices that are affected and seeking recompense from Samsung. However their customer service is a disgrace. Other than the response I received on here blaming Samsung I had no contact from them, despite emailing their technical support several days before posting on here. If I had been the only person experiencing this particular issue, I'd have probably lived with it but other users have confirmed there is a problem and Fiio have admitted it also but they are pushing people to "upgrade" to the M11 at a significant price increase. I certainly won't be buying Fiio in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back