The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Mar 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #376 of 698
Quote:

I wonder if the headband mod would pair well with the Hifiman pads then, which are a bit larger than the stock and the Turtle Beach pads. Reducing the headband weight would certainly go a ways to making the 463s more comfortable long-term. However, the cups are also fairly heavy (comparing to the SR850s, Uptowns, and EFi's). These are fairly beefy phones in general.

There is a rubber piece in the EFi82 MT just like the MH463.  I don't find the headband heavy.  Combined with the HE-400 velour pads, they don't move on my head, and they don't apply any pressure on the top of my head when adjust correctly.  These are headphones, not portables, so don't expect them to stay put while doing housework, that's what IEM's are for.  I have been enjoying the MH463 with a rewire, I have access to some type 2 litz at a reasonable cost, makes them sound right up there with my HD600 and HD580, only with a bigger soundstage, and I am using a tube amp as well.  If using the velour HE-400 pads you can soften them up by washing in hot water a couble of times, squeeze out the water, and throw them in the dryer for 15-20 minutes, more comfotable now.  If you decide to take the headband apart, a word of caution, there is a tiny ball bearing inside that easily falls out, and is very hard to get back in place.

With the wire I used, it was like bumping the bass up about 4-5db, plenty of quality, tight, subbass, using velour pads, so the sparkle and detail is also there, with smooth vocals, and mids. sound is fantastic!  I think that without the rubber in the headband the quality of the tone is lost, and they sound cheap and thin, they were designed that way for a reason!

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #377 of 698
Okay, mine made it in today! First impressions, the headphones are quite good. Actually, my first thought was that they were "surprisingly competent", a term that I always felt was pejorative in the past, but my reaction was "wait, I paid how much for these?". My "highest end"  headphone is my Mad Dogs, so I'm mostly comparing them to those, and it's been  pretty pleasant so far. In terms of the price range, it soullessly crushes my "Budget King Koss ProDj100" (though those are closed, so you could argue different phones for different needs). My only complaint so far is the clicking noise that others have mentioned when I turn my head. That just might drive me insane.
beyersmile.png
If I can figure out which part is doing it and make it stop, I just might be okay. Next up: Try on the 840 pads and then wait on some "burn in".

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #378 of 698
Quote:
Got the Somic MH463 today, after a two day delay, shipping went to Billings, Montana, before Minnesota??????  First thing I did was put the rubber piece back in the headband.  It looked like crap without it, and if you have a normal size head, with the wings adjusted properly, they stay put really well with them barely touching the top of my head, they feel just like my EFi82 MT, that has a similar build, width, weight to the headband.  Master Troll's are cheap bastards trying to mod everything with cotton balls, LMAO!

They came with Turtle Beach pads, cheap looking and uncomfortable for me, so I went to the Shure 840 pads, sounded the same as the Turtle Beach pad, the 840 pads were more comfortable.  I tried the HE-400 pads, both the pleather and velour, the pleather pads made the MH463 sound veiled, congested, velour bass light, but big soundstage and a lot of detail.  I use the velour HE-400 pads on my Somic EFi82 MT, but I did a cable upgrade on them, so they sound great with the velours.  I did a cable upgrade on the MH464 to a DHC Peptide Hybrid, and wow, did these headphones change.  Bass quantity, quality went way up, much tighter bass, with more details and a very large soundstage.  I tried them with the Turtle Beach pads, HM5 pads, Shure 840 pads, HE-400 pads, since I got these used, no stock pads, but all of these pads still had way too much low end.  I ended up putting the HE-400 velour pads on, and everything is now balanced out, and I am happy with the comfort, not hot feeling.  Since I had the veloiurs on the EFi82, I was/am very happy with the comfort.  Still a lot of bass, more than I normally like but with the huge soundstage, details and balanced sound, I am very happy with the sound, just like I was hoping.  Vocals are very very nice, warm both male and female.  The soundstage is the biggest I have heard on a headphone, including my HD600, HD580 and my Somic EFi 82 MTl.  They are a very nice suprise, and a competitive compliment to my other three headphones.  A very nice clean sound, with lots of details, and a huge soundstage with excellent separation/imaging.  With the wire I am now using, they definately perform up there with above $300 phones!

How much would you charge to do this cable mod for me??? :D lololol

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #379 of 698
Quote:
How much would you charge to do this cable mod for me??? :D lololol

Here meng let me stop this charade and beating around the bush. This is cute's quote to me for the Somic MTs.

"$130 plus shipping, includes the Somic's HM5 or 840 pads, and the cable job.  Haven't you ever heard of Cardas wire/cable?  Double entry gets rid of that crap riding on your left shoulder.....this is a quality job and quality sound.  The wire is 23.5 gauge Cardas Litz, great bass, lusciuos mids, detailed highs, fantastic soundstage and imaging.  I have made 8 cables for my HD600 and HD580's, and the difference can be heard in each cable.  My wife can even hear the difference, and that is as blind of a test as you can get.  But women hear better......
biggrin.gif
"

Not sure how much he will charge for just the re-cable....................

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #380 of 698
Okay, that didn't take long.
beyersmile.png
Turns out it was the cable where it  enters into the cup. It's not really "locked down" anywhere inside, so whenever I turn my head or bump the cable, the thicker part bumps into the plastic shell of the cup. Thinking a touch of glue to keep it from being so mobile might help, but I'm going to wait until I'm done listening to them for the night before I apply the glue. I like the phones, but I don't want to become that attached.

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #381 of 698
Quote:
Here meng let me stop this charade and beating around the bush. This is cute's quote to me for the Somic MTs.

"$130 plus shipping, includes the Somic's HM5 or 840 pads, and the cable job.  Haven't you ever heard of Cardas wire/cable?  Double entry gets rid of that crap riding on your left shoulder.....this is a quality job and quality sound.  The wire is 23.5 gauge Cardas Litz, great bass, lusciuos mids, detailed highs, fantastic soundstage and imaging.  I have made 8 cables for my HD600 and HD580's, and the difference can be heard in each cable.  My wife can even hear the difference, and that is as blind of a test as you can get.  But women hear better......
biggrin.gif
"

Not sure how much he will charge for just the re-cable....................

For sfwalcer my special price is $900, LMAO.........for just the recable.......
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #383 of 698
Imaging on these are like WOW!! My only problem is that they are quite a few peaks especially when a singer sings the letter "S"... Waiting to burn it in to see if this fixes the problem of peaks.  Anybody else have this issue?

Also... these things sound better than my ATH Pro700 MK2s...

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #384 of 698
Quote:
In your opinion which do u like better the mh or efi?

Right now I like the MH463, but I have a differnt cable on the MH463, DHC Peptide Hybrid, the EFi82 MT has Cardas cable.  With the Peptide Hybrid, the soundstage is huge, open back helps that but imaging is very precise/separation is excellent, and the bass with the Peptide is big, tight and very deep, quality of bass is the biggest improvement with this wire, like 4-5db higher than the stock cable, with excellent layering, quality bass for sure.....makes everything sound more 3D.  I am listening to the MH463 more than my HD600, HD580, and EFi82 MT.  Using HE-400 velour pads, awesome sound!

Just for the record, I am not in the business of doing recable, so no use in asking me.  I may occasionally sell something with a DIY cable, that I no longer need.  I wouldn't expect anyone purchasing a $40 headphone, would be able to afford the DHC Peptide Hybrid, expecially on this thread.  Someone on headfi asked me to purchase a Somic EFi82 MT for him, and redo the cable, after I placed the order, he backed out.  It was someone with no feedback, or post count on headfi, so my bad.  I do have a pair of Somic ERi82 MT on it's way, and I will be using the DHC Peptide Hybrid on it.  My current EFi82 MT has a cracked headband, cheap plastic, and I have given it to a family member, had to superglue it back together to make it useable!  Cables do make a difference, IMO!  Well, @gibosi thinks so too!

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #385 of 698
Quote:

Right now I like the MH463, but I have a differnt cable on the MH463, DHC Peptide Hybrid, the EFi82 MT has Cardas cable.  With the Peptide Hybrid, the soundstage is huge, open back helps that but imaging is very precise/separation is excellent, and the bass with the Peptide is big, tight and very deep, quality of bass is the biggest improvement with this wire, like 4-5db higher than the stock cable, with excellent layering, quality bass for sure.....makes everything sound more 3D.  I am listening to the MH463 more than my HD600, HD580, and EFi82 MT.  Using HE-400 velour pads, awesome sound!

Just for the record, I am not in the business of doing recable, so no use in asking me.  I may occasionally sell something with a DIY cable, that I no longer need.  I wouldn't expect anyone purchasing a $40 headphone, would be able to afford the DHC Peptide Hybrid, expecially on this thread.  Someone on headfi asked me to purchase a Somic EFi82 MT for him, and redo the cable, after I placed the order, he backed out.  It was someone with no feedback, or post count on headfi, so my bad.  I do have a pair of Somic ERi82 MT on it's way, and I will be using the DHC Peptide Hybrid on it.  My current EFi82 MT has a cracked headband, cheap plastic, and I have given it to a family member, had to superglue it back together to make it useable!  Cables do make a difference, IMO!  Well, @gibosi thinks so too!

deng....was just about to place an order and see if you could do a recable for me haha.

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #386 of 698
Quote:
You can also buy it from aliexpress like I did.  Bought from this seller and he shipped within 3 days of the order.  Ships out of Hong Kong and you can pay via mastercard, etc

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Professional-Somic-MH463-3-5MM-Head-band-Music-DJ-Headphone-Earphone-Headset-MH463-free-shipping/623880419.html

How long did it take to get these using epacket shipping?

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #389 of 698
I've been waiting for my lasmex-h75 (=somic mh463) for quite some time now. No wonder, because they are out of stock! The seller told me that it would take quite some time for them to be in stock again, so I cancelled the order. :frowning2:
I wonder if I should order them somewhere else or should I consider a completely different headphone? How would these compare to senn hd518 or 598's? It certainly sucks that I can find those in a local shop, but they don't let me listen to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back