The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #121 of 698
Regarding the headphone pads, a quick way to make them deeper is to pad their underside with tissue:

The Superlux review linked to in the OP had a picture of this being done better than me, but that site seems to be down.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #122 of 698
Quote:
Regarding the headphone pads, a quick way to make them deeper is to pad their underside with tissue:

The Superlux review linked to in the OP had a picture of this being done better than me, but that site seems to be down.

Speaking of the superlux, has anyone compared it to the SOMiCs?

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #123 of 698
Just some information for your thought:

Somic actually is the top chinese headphone company. I'm a chinese living in US. So I searched the internet for Somic. Somic MH463 was their first attempt into the HiFi headphone, which means all their efforts before this are on low ends. The MH463 received a wide acceptance within China. For their performance/price ratio. With MSRP about $50, and some time can have for $30. Some call it “king of performance/price ratio”. They also call it their “entry level flagship”. Kind of laughable, a flagship which is an entry level HiFi. But it’s their best! Now their flagship is MH489 for $80, a huge wheel on your head, which didn’t receive quite well as MH463.

[size=8pt][/size]

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #124 of 698
Quote:
Just some information for your thought:

Somic actually is the top chinese headphone company. I'm a chinese living in US. So I searched the internet for Somic. Somic MH463 was their first attempt into the HiFi headphone, which means all their efforts before this are on low ends. The MH463 received a wide acceptance within China. For their performance/price ratio. With MSRP about $50, and some time can have for $30. Some call it “king of performance/price ratio”. They also call it their “entry level flagship”. Kind of laughable, a flagship which is an entry level HiFi. But it’s their best! Now their flagship is MH489 for $80, a huge wheel on your head, which didn’t receive quite well as MH463.

[size=8pt][/size]

heh thanks for the research! i saw those myself on ebay. i was interested and posted a link of it earlier. I do agree with the comment though. very well for its value yet very ironic.

- remind me to do that tissue mod btw

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #125 of 698
First impressions of these bad boys (coming unamped from a Motorola Xoom, because I spent the week at my dad's, while my audio equipment spent the week at my mom's) were not good. The bass was boomy, the highs were non-existent, and the mids existed in a state of recession that could put 2010 USA to shame. The only thing that made them comparable to Sennheiser was a comically overstated veil. Despite this, I kept listening to them, finding these qualities to become less and less apparent over time. Yesterday, I tried them out again, and to my surprise, they finally started sounding like the HD600 competitors Head-Fi has been touting them as. Perhaps spending 6 hours outside in the Michigan cold while I was in school impacted their sound quality.

The MH463, after burn-in (literally) sounds wonderful. Highs are present, but not "sparkly"/obtrusive. Lower mids (especially male vocals) are a bit recessed, but they do an excellent job at bringing female vocalists to the forefront. Soundstage is wide, obviously, with this being an open-backed headphone, but not to the point of sounding "gimmicky". Bass packs a definite punch, but can get a little sloppy on tracks with a lot of low bass (that "boom, boom, boom" crap). As the bass is this headphone's major problem area, it goes without saying that the MH463 perform best with acoustic, classical, rock, and other genres that don't involve subbass.

Only one small problem. Although the Somics sound excellent...that's about all they do right. The build is creaky and rigid feeling (I feel like these things are going to snap in half every time I use the extenders). It is very obvious that Somic spent their money on R&D and drivers, leaving accessories (no case or spare pads) and features (don't expect a detachable cable here) to their more costly competitors. They also shipped a bit...dirty, with residue and other white/grey "gunk" all over the housing. Gross. This isn't necessarily something to complain about, however, as making these cut-backs allows Somic to offer $150+ dollar sound at a $50 price point. Unfortunately, due to this mindset, the Somic MH463 falls victim to having the worst pads ever. Seriously. I can't wear these things for more than 20 minutes without my ears bursting into flames. They also rest awkwardly on the ear, making my ear tips and lobes very uncomfortable. 

Fortunately, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 has some of the best pads ever, and they just so happen to fit the Somic MH463. I just worked this one out, so I can't give a 100% review of the sound, but it seems to circumvent the bass issues with this headphone quite a bit. 

This is one of the best "sound quality for buck" headphones out there. Just understand that when you purchase these that sound quality is all that you are getting. As we are audiophiles, this shouldn't be much of an issue. Unfortunately, I don't see this headphone serving the needs of people who have other needs. At the end of the day, this is a $200 headphone in a $50 package, but it's still very obvious that it comes in a $50 package.

SOUND QUALITY: 

BASS: Loud, boomy, and kind of obnoxious in bass-heavy genres without M50 pads, but is punchy and articulate in more "natural" ones.
LOW-MIDS: Slightly recessed and distant, but still hefty and with a good amount of "body" to them.
HIGH-MIDS: Exceptional. From 350-700 Hz, the MH463 is unstoppable. Airy, a bit sparkly, and right at the forefront, which is exactly where they should be. The high-mids truly set this headphone apart from everything else I have heard. 
TREBLE: It's here, it exists, it does its job, and it leaves. Not harsh or grating, nor recessed and hollow, the MH463s treble gets done what it needs to get done. You'll know when a vocalist breathes or a drummer hits a hi-hat, but it's not painfully obvious unless the track calls for it.
SOUNDSTAGE: Wide, inviting, definitely not intimate. Things that are hard panned sound like they're coming from about 95-100 degrees left or right (slightly over your shoulder). Everything fills in quite nicely.

BUILD/FEATURES:

DURABILITY: Not great, it appears. This headphone employs a similar strain relief to the M50...and seeing how my M50's strain relief broke, this is definitely vulnerable. Don't move your head back and forth too much while listening, because the MH463s creak like there's no tomorrow. Also, the extenders are very rigid and tight, sort of like the JVC HA-S400. Perhaps they just need to be broken in. 
COMFORT: Without the M50 pads, the MH463 is unbearable for more than 30 minutes to an hour. However, they do have a well-cushioned headband, so once the M50 pads are on, they are an absolute breeze to wear for long periods.
APPEARANCE: They look...decent, I guess. Save for the residue, they appear pretty plain and standard.
ACCESSORIES: Hope you like 1/4 inch adapters, because that is all you're getting.

Overall, this is a must-own for all audiophiles and a must-avoid for everyone else. If you can get past some build quality and comfort issues (I cannot stress getting the M50 pads enough), then you will be treated to one of the best sounding headphones you can purchase for under $200, let alone $50.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #129 of 698
Holy smokes Cash - great review! It will take me a bit to absorb it all lol! It sounds like all I might need for a while would be my s500's, uptowns, and mh463's (with ath m50 pads) - budget audiophile trifecta!

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #130 of 698
Quote:
Holy smokes Cash - great review! It will take me a bit to absorb it all lol! It sounds like all I might need for a while would be my s500's, uptowns, and mh463's (with ath m50 pads) - budget audiophile trifecta!

Believe me, I did not forget to do the comparison. I think I'll have to get the video camera out for that one, though (because a 10 minute video is much easier to palate than the 2-3 pages of text it would encompass).

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #131 of 698
Believe me, I did not forget to do the comparison. I think I'll have to get the video camera out for that one, though (because a 10 minute video is much easier to palate than the 2-3 pages of text it would encompass).

Whoa! Bring it on man - that would be awesome!

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #132 of 698
Quote:

This right here tells me that Shure 940 (or 1440/1840) velour pads will fit these. BAM!

840 pads fit, but are a bit loose, so 940 pads should be about the same. 
Quote:
Whoa! Bring it on man - that would be awesome!

Thanks! (Now to just find the battery for the darn thing. xD) I've wanted to start a headphone review Youtube channel for some time now.

If you don't mind, I think I'm going to add a fourth "competitor" to the mix, the Jaycar Pro Monitor Headphones. They're identical copies to the Brainwavz HM5 and Fischer Audio FA-003, except they go for $70 shipped. Really, (spoiler alert) all 4 of them are excellent buys, but they all have their flaws and work best for certain demographics.

Anyway, here are some pad pictures to keep everything on topic.

The Somics with M50 pads.

An M50 pad vs. a Somic MH463 pad

M50 on the left, MH463 on the right

Shure SRH840 pad on the left, M50 pad on the right.

Edit: One thing I noticed that was very odd about these is how small they were. Considering that these are 50mm drivers, I was expecting a much larger enclosure. However, as far as over-ears go, these are very small, like the M50. Given how sensitive they are (my portable devices only need to be turned up halfway or so to achieve a comfortable listening volume), they would make an excellent portable if they weren't open-backed.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #133 of 698
Great review Cash, looking forward to your thoughts on them compared to the Jaycars; ive been eyeing those for a while now. Also, are the M50 pads as soft as the stock Somic pads/Shure pads? 

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #134 of 698
Quote:
Great review Cash, looking forward to your thoughts on them compared to the Jaycars; ive been eyeing those for a while now. Also, are the M50 pads as soft as the stock Somic pads/Shure pads? 

Thank you! The M50 pads are not "cushy" like the Shure and Somic pads, but they are definitely comfortable (and they don't get hot and sweaty). 

The Jaycars are a bit more power hungry, and much larger. Both headphones have large soundstages, impressive because the Jaycars are closed back, but much more understandable once you realize how gigantic they are. Both are excellent, but the Jaycar has more features (detachable cable, extra pads, and a nice, hard case). It's been a while since I've given the Jaycars a good listen, so I'll definitely give them a few good listening sessions before posting a review of some sort (video or text, depending on if I can find my camera's battery). I should have a review for all 4 posted by Saturday.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #135 of 698
Does anyone know M50-sized pads that would increase depth? It's not that the Uptowns have spoiled me, but a sizable part of my ears rest against the inside of the housing (that grate right in front of the driver that I still don't know the name of). This is partly due to the 463's pads collapsing and partly because they're just not that deep in the first place. Velour would be ideal, but I'll roll with anything at this point that's more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back