The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Jun 27, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #676 of 698
Jun 30, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #677 of 698
No prob i got mine yesterday, thanks.

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #678 of 698
Jun 30, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #679 of 698
Tracking haha, still on outward departure state.

Jul 11, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #680 of 698
Picked mine out at the post office yesterday. Haven't had enough time with them to give a proper verdict yet, but OOTB they are very very promising.. :)

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #681 of 698
  Picked mine out at the post office yesterday. Haven't had enough time with them to give a proper verdict yet, but OOTB they are very very promising.. :)

Well, I live in ****ty bureaucrat country, my somic arrived in airport at 4th july, but it kept in customs with "Processing document by Customs" status for forever, why $36 item took so long :frowning2:

Jul 13, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #682 of 698
  Well, I live in ****ty bureaucrat country, my somic arrived in airport at 4th july, but it kept in customs with "Processing document by Customs" status for forever, why $36 item took so long :frowning2:

Sorry to hear that.. The postal service in my country is pretty ***ty too, but I suppose I had a bit of luck with the Somic.

Hope you'll get it soon, I'm looking forward to your impressions!

Aug 2, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #683 of 698
Hi everyone, I recently purchased the Indian variant of these cans iBall Jaron 5. I bought them for INR 1,200 which translates to about $18 USD. I figured it would a fun experiment. I will not go in depth about what has already been repeated many times in this thread. The build quality is very good for this price & they sound decent. I normally do not write reviews but a recent mod has transformed this headphone completely & this has warranted be share this with the community. YMMV however. 

I use this primarily with my office PC. I do not want to use expensive headphones in office due to fear of them getting stolen. Anyway I had decided to cut the cable length to a manageable 1 meter & terminate with a Radioshack "no solder" 3.5 mm male plug. I had one of these laying around , got them from USA when I migrated here last year. Anyway after installing the new plug I was very pleasantly surprised. I will break it down in simple points in absolutely layman terms. 

All stock:
Focused sound, highs merely OK, heavy bass where at times certain drums sounded muddy(?), forward & clear vocals & OK sound stage. 

Radioshack 3.5 mm plug mod:
WIDE sound stage, gone is the bass hump, sounds very flat all over the freq range, highs are now amazing, mids are same as before & NO MATTER THE MUSIC , NO MUDDINESS! I can confidently say now the sound is detailed & balanced. Bass is now clear, go listen to Billie Jean & you can how hear the bass violin notes. Oh and everything is present, nothing seems missing. 

Its like a completely different headphone. 

Some pics for your viewing pleasure. 

Aug 2, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #684 of 698
  Hi everyone, I recently purchased the Indian variant of these cans iBall Jaron 5. I bought them for INR 1,200 which translates to about $18 USD. I figured it would a fun experiment. I will not go in depth about what has already been repeated many times in this thread. The build quality is very good for this price & they sound decent. I normally do not write reviews but a recent mod has transformed this headphone completely & this has warranted be share this with the community. YMMV however. 

I use this primarily with my office PC. I do not want to use expensive headphones in office due to fear of them getting stolen. Anyway I had decided to cut the cable length to a manageable 1 meter & terminate with a Radioshack "no solder" 3.5 mm male plug. I had one of these laying around , got them from USA when I migrated here last year. Anyway after installing the new plug I was very pleasantly surprised. I will break it down in simple points in absolutely layman terms. 

All stock:
Focused sound, highs merely OK, heavy bass where at times certain drums sounded muddy(?), forward & clear vocals & OK sound stage. 

Radioshack 3.5 mm plug mod:
WIDE sound stage, gone is the bass hump, sounds very flat all over the freq range, highs are now amazing, mids are same as before & NO MATTER THE MUSIC , NO MUDDINESS! I can confidently say now the sound is detailed & balanced. Bass is now clear, go listen to Billie Jean & you can how hear the bass violin notes. Oh and everything is present, nothing seems missing. 

Its like a completely different headphone. 

Some pics for your viewing pleasure. 

Interesting! So what you are saying is basically that either the cable or the plug is s***? :)

I was thinking about shortening mine as well, too much cable to drag around. Might be worth changing the entire cable? 

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #685 of 698
  Interesting! So what you are saying is basically that either the cable or the plug is s***? :)

I was thinking about shortening mine as well, too much cable to drag around. Might be worth changing the entire cable? 

Its probably the plug. Since I am still using the stock cable. I considered changing the cable outright just for the fun of it but I wasn't upto soldering both cans since this will require a cable that splits into 2. 

The stock cable is interesting, in the sense that the individual conductors are not insulated. I will share a pic later. Just so you know, the thickness of the cable is a complete hoax, 90% of the cable is thick, crappy & stiff rubber insulation. I would think a decent cable with shielding, individually insulated conductors would work even better. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #686 of 698
Here is a pic if the wire cutout with the individual conductors. You can see the cable is 

thick when the conductors themselves are very thin. They also appear to be thready rather than metallic?  

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #687 of 698
  Here is a pic if the wire cutout with the individual conductors. You can see the cable is 

thick when the conductors themselves are very thin. They also appear to be thready rather than metallic?  

That does look a bit sketchy indeed.. :)

Aug 21, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #688 of 698
FWIW I don't think these phones need thicker conductors than what's shown here. We're not talking about some super-low-impedance multi-BA CIEMs here, any resistance in the cable would have negligible effect on the sound given the nature of the headphone drivers.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 22, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #689 of 698
FWIW I don't think these phones need thicker conductors than what's shown here. We're not talking about some super-low-impedance multi-BA CIEMs here, any resistance in the cable would have negligible effect on the sound given the nature of the headphone drivers.

Yeah, probably. Sound improvements should come from fixing something that's broken, in that case. If the jack is super bad, or something. I'm soldering some other stuff soon (X7i jack fell off, waiting for 4 pole jacks), so I might change this jack and maybe shorten the cable as well while I'm at it..

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #690 of 698
Here's the color code for the MH463 stock cable:

Blue = Tip
Red/Green = Ring
Solid Green+Gold = Sleeve

Since the cable is dual entry, it carries 4 leads, thus makes it possible to turn the MH463 into a balanced pair of headphones. All that needs to be done is to take apart one of the cups to find out which of the leads, solid green or gold, is connected to which cup, left or right, to solder them to the correct negative pole on a 4 pole XLR or 2.5 TRRS plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back