The Somic Thread--50mm driver open air full size cans pop out of nowhere, sound amazing
Dec 27, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #166 of 698
Quote:
The Uptowns are VERY nice for the price (save for that nasty channel imbalance issue). They're a bit more fun-shaped tan the EFi-82 MTs, sonically speaking. The Uptownshave a hotter treble and boomier bass. After switching between the EFis and the Uptowns, the Uptowns sounded a bit "livelier", but also sort of slow and boomy. The EFis are easier to drive, also (and don't have that wretched volume controller that does nothing but cause channel imbalance).

I just had the strangest thought about what the Uptowns might sound like as open phones. Hm.

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #168 of 698
.edited out srry wrong post

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #169 of 698
Hey guys.I like your impressions on these headphones but now im kinda lost which ones to buy. which one is more neutral or more on the warm side? Which one has larger soundstage? Cash mentioned large soundstage on EFi82MT can they be better then MH463? I mean it's closed vs fully open cans. That kinda pizzles me. Help plz need to buy something soon.

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #170 of 698
Cash will have to answer this one but I think a closed can with good damping on the cups inside can sound just as good as an open can?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #171 of 698
Hey guys.I like your impressions on these headphones but now im kinda lost which ones to buy. which one is more neutral or more on the warm side? Which one has larger soundstage? Cash mentioned large soundstage on EFi82MT can they be better then MH463? I mean it's closed vs fully open cans. That kinda pizzles me. Help plz need to buy something soon.

MH463 has a tiny bit of a veil, so it's a Sennheiser sort of warm. The EFi 82 has a tiny smudge of consumer "bump" in the bass section, but not much. From everything I read, this would be sort of like a Denon sound, but I've never auditioned a Denon set. They aren't bass monsters, or even what I'd call bass emphasized, but kick drums have a nice "punch" to them. Extension is solid on both. Soundstage is excellent on both, but the MH463 has a slightly larger one to my ears. This is to be expected because they are open-backed. I prefer the Efis, but you get a great headphone either way for $50 or less.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #172 of 698
Hey Cash, do you have the HM5 pads on your S500's? I am really digging that combo, and am wondering how it would compare to the efi's.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #174 of 698
Well, my pair just arrived and first impressions aren't great.  I put on a few tracks and noticed that the left channel was louder than the right, so I turned the headphones around to see if it was my ears or the headphones.  Sure enough, it was the same driver that was louder.  Using the test tones in Sinegen, I found that the left driver was louder from about 30-100hz and from 1000-2000hz while the right one was louder just about everywhere else.  You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #175 of 698
Quote:
Well, my pair just arrived and first impressions aren't great.  I put on a few tracks and noticed that the left channel was louder than the right, so I turned the headphones around to see if it was my ears or the headphones.  Sure enough, it was the same driver that was louder.  Using the test tones in Sinegen, I found that the left driver was louder from about 30-100hz and from 1000-2000hz while the right one was louder just about everywhere else.  You get what you pay for, I suppose.

Ugh. That doesn't sound good. I'm getting mine friday or saturday.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #176 of 698
5 min ago got the Turtle Beach pads, and holy crap are these an upgrade in comfort. I'll have to compare later with the old pads to see if they change the sound, but on comfort alone they're more than worth it.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #178 of 698

FWIW people are reporting channel imbalance even on stuff like the Beyerdynamic T1. A defective pair is a defective pair no matter how much you pay. I guess you were unlucky-- you're the first one reporting something like this. :frowning2:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 2, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #180 of 698
I think now more than ever I'd love to attend a local meet. I really want to hear how these compare with higher end headphones. Specifically the HD600 and HE-400, since those are the next two, and maybe last two for some time, on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back