The Soekris R-2R DAC: Technical Details
Nov 20, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #166 of 251
Anyone know if the ApS dac1101 is still being made?

It shows out of stock on Soekris' site but I'm hoping its just being updated with a newer board before being restocked.

Been searching for just the right compact R2R dac and the ApS is closest to what I was looking for. Also considering the Modi Multibit (again, for the smaller size) but saw no mention of it in the thread yet (for comparison; don't know how close the lower Multibit models are to the Yggy).

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #171 of 251
Hi guys.

Im thinking about getting this board as well, but im not sure if it can challange my current dac... EAD DSP7000 mk3

I dont care for Hi-Res, so obviously the EAD being redbook only is fine by me, and it does sound incredible, and far superior to any other dac i had around.

So - Would the soekris R2R dac beat it? what do you think?

(i realize its not likely that anyone heard both or tried to compare them, but i am interested in your opinion)

thank you.

Tank out

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #173 of 251
  Hi guys.

Im thinking about getting this board as well, but im not sure if it can challange my current dac... EAD DSP7000 mk3

I dont care for Hi-Res, so obviously the EAD being redbook only is fine by me, and it does sound incredible, and far superior to any other dac i had around.

(i realize its not likely that anyone heard both or tried to compare them, but i am interested in your opinion)

thank you.

Tank out

That's an old dac but uses a well-regarded chip. I don't think anyone's going to really be able to tell you either way. The soekris sounds great but it benefits from a lot of diy. I think you'd be better off getting the new audio-gd diy R2R module (once early reviews are in). Not only is it cheaper than the soekris but you have more more direct control over important elements like the clocks and power supply. Now *that* against your EAD would be interesting.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #174 of 251
Hi guys.

thank you.

Tank out

I've owned both for some time though years apart. I enjoyed both. From what I recall about the EAD, it was beautifully melodic and not aggressive at all. The Soekris gives an impression of finer character but the output stage is clinical and dry. I enjoyed it more with a direct output, not the built in circuit.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #175 of 251
Fallen angel - thank you for the input. The EAD is VERY well made, it won't surprisee me if the PS and output stage would be far superior to the soekris.

Which is why I now find the Audio GD r2r board so Interesting!

Wushuliu - let me get this straight - those boards are basically a dac and a clock? All you need for full DAC is a power supply and an output stage?

Tank out.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #177 of 251
hi, I'm new to Head-fi. I ordered the Soekris today to replace my Centrance dac. Looking forward to hearing the difference of R2R

Jan 23, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #178 of 251
Fallen angel - thank you for the input. The EAD is VERY well made, it won't surprisee me if the PS and output stage would be far superior to the soekris.

Which is why I now find the Audio GD r2r board so Interesting!

Wushuliu - let me get this straight - those boards are basically a dac and a clock? All you need for full DAC is a power supply and an output stage?

Tank out.

You supply the I2S signal but yeah.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #180 of 251
Just found a useless review of a DAC based on DAM-1121-01, but only one board, not balanced, the LessLoss Echo's End:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/lessloss5/1.html

Typical 6moons, the guy has the Aqua Formula DAC and Metrum Adagio for comparison, doesn't compare anything and says:

"Deep DSD with PCM vividness" "Didn't sound like tubes, but felt like them"

Please, did someone with a brain and a competent DAC like Yggy or Pavane heard a dual mono implementation of the DAM-1121-01 0.01% Soekris board?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back