The Silicon Blu Tak Mod
Sep 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I just had to try it. My IEM of choice is the Monster Turbine Gold. As with the Vanilla Turbine before them, sound was great but fit sometimes was a bit iffy, mostly because the IEM is a bit large and heavy.  So I tried various methods to make them better for me.

The Silicon Foam mod was very interesting. I used the Shure Olives, cut them up, and used them to stuff the inner ring of my Silicon flanges. The results depend on how much you put in, which silicon flange you stuff, and how it fits with your ear. But in general it increased bass response, enough to muddy the mids usually for my tips, but as a basshead for me that's all good. 
smiley.gif

However, like the Monster Super Tips (which are silicon flanges filled with gel) they weren't as comfortable as plain silicon flange. They just stuffed too much springy mass in your ear. Some people are ok with this. I can tolerate it, but it's not optimal. I could never get into the Monster Super Tips, even the smallest one seemed too big to fit in my ear. 

So I tried something else. I turned to our wonder material, Blu Tak!

Turning the flanges inside out, I lined the inner ring with a small amount of Blu Tak. I didn't want to put too much, as I didn't want the Blu Tak bleeding out of the ring and getting on my Golds. I applied some to some of my old Vibe's medium flanges. I initially wanted to try the small flanges but they were too small and difficult to work with. The medium flanges were easy.

I have no pics, but the operation was a success and easy.

Wearing them, the comfort is equal to wearing plain silicon flange. The blu tak material is thick and dense, but molds easily and does not spring back and expand like foam. So it's a lot more comfy. The amount I put was enough that the blu tak didn't bleed out of the flange and it stayed in place, molded inside to the contour of my ear. So the fit issue was sorted out, I will test it further like trying it out while jogging, but for now I can feel a marked improvement in the fit.

But how does it sound?

Well, the change in sound is not as dramatic as using Olive foam. However, that could be a good or a bad thing. It's good because you are less likely to get bleed of the bass into the mids. This is a good thing for some.  It's bad because... well... the effect might not be enough to differentiate it from regular flange.

Well, I did some AB with the exact same flange tips, stock. Generally, there was a very small, but noticeable, increase in bass response. Other than that, everything else was pretty much spot on the same. 

I guess it worked. The mod costs next to nothing to do and is completely reversible (may need to wash the tips a bit though). It added a small amount of bass and helped me get a better seal. I think it's all good.

I also think that, by experimenting with the right amount of Blu tak for your ear, you may be able to get more marked results. I will experiment further.

Sep 12, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 2
Ok I got off my lazy butt and did the mod with the Shroom tips on the original Turbines. I am using the medium Shrooms, which fit my ears best. The Shrooms are similar to the oldschool Shure e2c softflex tips, but are thinner and have less body. As such, they have a lousy fit on the Turbines because they didn't have enough body to hold the heavy metal body. At least on my ears. So now I will try this procedure on the vanilla Turbines, which are heavier and larger than the Golds, making them more difficult to get a proper fit and seal.

Since I am no longer lazy, I will use my camera and show you guys what I did.

First, I rolled up the shroom tip. It can be hard to roll it up all the way, so you should put your finger on top and fold it over your finger. 

Next, you roll some blu tak into a slim tube, and wrap it around the inner ring.

Finally, you pull the shroom cover back down over the blu tak. It will look a bit fatter than before, but no worries and the blu tak will mold to your ear, it will get thinner soon enough once you put it in your ear. Will also tend to stay in a weird shape afterwards.

Anyway the result: fit was improved to an incredible degree. I would often have issues with the Turbine's fit using these tips (actually, using any tip) and they would often fall out or the tube would contort and I would get sound degradation or the seal would loosen.

With the blu tak in place the tube hold firm, and the seal remains in place even with some semi-vigorous movement. Even better, the extra dense material does trap a little extra bass inside for my bass-headedness (is that even a word?) And of course the fact that I'm getting a good seal already gives me better bass to begin with.  Or maybe it's just the seal that gives me better bass?

Well regardless the improvement using these tips was huge in terms of fit. And it's as comfy as without them, as the material really molds to your ears without pushing against the walls of your ear canal like foam does. 

For those who have issues with Monster's Super Tips or Hybrid Tips, this could be a viable solution. And yeah, it will work for just about any silicon flange I would say, if you are having trouble getting a seal with any IEM using silicon flanges this mod is worth a try. A pack of blutak costs what, a dollar and it has more than enough Blu tak to apply this mod on a hundred tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back