The Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #706 of 775
If you install the update.upt with Rockbox, when you boot up you get the following screens which you can select between.

HIBY Player is the Rocker v1.2 Firmware with Bluetooth and everything just as if you never installed Rockbox at all.

Rockbox launches Rockbox as long as you have .rockbox on the root of your SD card.

I haven't messed around with Tools much, but it lets you shutdown and restart without launching either firmware.

how do you install it, and may you share the latest rockbox update link, sorry I'm still newbie , thank you

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #707 of 775
how do you install it, and may you share the latest rockbox update link, sorry I'm still newbie , thank you

Use this .upt file to update your firmware: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wKUaxM4Zxs2850x5jeVBLI4DvbtbQTCJ/view

Use the latest Rockbox from this page: https://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=agptekrocker and place the .rockbox folder on the root of your SD card.

Rename the update file to update.upt, put it on the root of your SD card, put the SD card in with the player off, and then press the power and volume down buttons at the same time (this will force the player to turn on into update mode, using the update file on the SD card).

Note: You may need to boot the original (HIBY) firmware once in order for Rockbox to work. Just shutdown and choose Rockbox after doing that. After that you can choose either firmware each time at startup.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #708 of 775
Use this .upt file to update your firmware: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wKUaxM4Zxs2850x5jeVBLI4DvbtbQTCJ/view

Use the latest Rockbox from this page: https://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=agptekrocke and place the .rockbox folder on the root of your SD card.

Rename the update file to update.upt, put it on the root of your SD card, put the SD card in with the player off, and then press the power and volume down buttons at the same time (this will force the player to turn on into update mode, using the update file on the SD card).

Note: You may need to boot the original (HIBY) firmware once in order for Rockbox to work. Just shutdown and choose Rockbox after doing that. After that you can choose either firmware each time at startup.
I will try to install, thank you for the help

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #710 of 775

Use the latest Rockbox from this page: https://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=agptekrocker and place the .rockbox folder on the root of your SD card.

Hey there.
Should we remove / delete the update.upt file after the update to the latest rockbox version?
I have left it there on the root of the card for ...months (since the 1st version of Rockbox) with no issues. I guess there's no reason to delete it as long as it works only if we press the power and volume down buttons, right ?
And something else. This file (update.upt) remains the same since the 1st version, right ?

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #711 of 775
Hey there.
Should we remove / delete the update.upt file after the update to the latest rockbox version?
I have left it there on the root of the card for ...months (since the 1st version of Rockbox) with no issues. I guess there's no reason to delete it as long as it works only if we press the power and volume down buttons, right ?
And something else. This file (update.upt) remains the same since the 1st version, right ?

It's recommended to remove the update.upt file, and I've actually accidentally re-installed the update before by pressing the power and volume down buttons, but fortunately it didn't mess anything up and then I removed the update.upt file after that.

This version I posted included a Rockbox update that enabled USB file transfer through Rockbox that I found in this thread posted by Milardo: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/topic,51653.0.html

But they actually might have meant that the .rockbox version included the USB fix, and that the update_rb.upt file may not have been any different, I can't 100% confirm that. But I just used it as it was the latest one posted by Milardo.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #712 of 775
But what IS different, and is constantly being updated is the rockbox zip here: https://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=agptekrocker

At one point they fixed the volume increments (it originally was very small increments requiring you to hold the volume button for a long time to change the volume significantly) now volume change happens in larger increments.

They also fixed the clock that displays at the top status bar of most themes. And probably some other things I haven't noticed.

And when bluetooth is eventually added, you'll be able to get it by replacing your .rockbox with the latest dev build from that link.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #713 of 775
But what IS different, and is constantly being updated is the rockbox zip here: https://www.rockbox.org/dl.cgi?bin=agptekrocker

At one point they fixed the volume increments (it originally was very small increments requiring you to hold the volume button for a long time to change the volume significantly) now volume change happens in larger increments.

They also fixed the clock that displays at the top status bar of most themes. And probably some other things I haven't noticed.

And when bluetooth is eventually added, you'll be able to get it by replacing your .rockbox with the latest dev build from that link.

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. Yeah I do remember the discussion about the volume increments, and I'm glad they have fixed some issues.
I was one of the first owners to install Rockbox on the Rocker, but I kind of forgot it after that.
I'm constantly finding myself using the original AGPtek firmware (the latest 1.2 version) because overall it seems better for my use:

1) Original firmware gives me battery juice for 8 to 8,5 hours (without Bluetooth). Rockbox (the first few version that were released) was giving me approximately 6 hours.
2) Bluetooth ! I mean, I am willing to try Rockbox again if and when they manage to enable Bluetooth.
3) I kind of like more the original firmware's GUI. It's not awards-worthy but it seems better than the raw / too simple GUI of Rockbox.

So to be honest, I'm always open minded and willing to try things on this great mp3 player, but I'm not really getting the enthusiasm other people have for Rockbox. Well at least, not with the current features on the Rocker.
Am I missing something here ?

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #714 of 775
Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. Yeah I do remember the discussion about the volume increments, and I'm glad they have fixed some issues.
I was one of the first owners to install Rockbox on the Rocker, but I kind of forgot it after that.
I'm constantly finding myself using the original AGPtek firmware (the latest 1.2 version) because overall it seems better for my use:

1) Original firmware gives me battery juice for 8 to 8,5 hours (without Bluetooth). Rockbox (the first few version that were released) was giving me approximately 6 hours.
2) Bluetooth ! I mean, I am willing to try Rockbox again if and when they manage to enable Bluetooth.
3) I kind of like more the original firmware's GUI. It's not awards-worthy but it seems better than the raw / too simple GUI of Rockbox.

So to be honest, I'm always open minded and willing to try things on this great mp3 player, but I'm not really getting the enthusiasm other people have for Rockbox. Well at least, not with the current features on the Rocker.
Am I missing something here ?

One KEY feature Rockbox has over the original firmware is the ability to add folders, albums, artists, songs, etc. to your now playing playlist on the fly (Just long press on the selected album, and click "current playlist" and "insert last"). The original firmware only lets you add songs to a playlist one song at a time on the device, but I tend to mostly listen to full albums at a time and set up a playlist of a few albums and then just let them play through. And I know I could create a playlist on my computer first and copy it onto the original firmware, but that's way more work, and I like to be able to turn the player on, decide what I want to listen to in that moment, and make a playlist full of a bunch of albums without having to touch the player again to change albums.

I use bluetooth headphones occasionally, but I much prefer analog headphones, especially for high resolution music that this player supports. My favorite headphones are the Tunai Drum (more bassy version) and Piano (more balanced version) earbuds. That said, I actually use the original firmware more for high res files since Rockbox actually downsamples anything higher than 44.1khz/16bit down to 44.1/16, while the original firmware supports 192khz/24bit and even supports surround sound.

So the way I use my Rocker mostly is, if I'm going to be listening to a bunch of different albums by a bunch of different artists and I want to quickly set up a playlist of them to play in order, I'll boot up Rockbox with a 200GB SD card that has my larger music library, consisting of mostly mp3s (320kbps when possible). But if I want to listen to a single high resolution album, I'll put in a different 200GB SD card that has all my high-res FLACs on it (a smaller selection, but some of my favorite albums), and boot up the original firmware, and listen to that album at the best quality.

For me, battery life isn't an issue. I use it mostly on my 1.5 hour commute, and charge it at home and at my office. Since I rarely use it until the battery runs out, I don't even notice the battery life difference between the original firmware and Rockbox.

I came from using a Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox for years, and had wanted a more high-res player. I got what I wanted with the Rocker's original firmware, but was missing Rockbox's easy playlist features, which I was happy to have back once Rockbox released for the Rocker.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #715 of 775
So, bringing up playing folders...
One of my frustrations with the Rocker (when using the folder viewer/browser) is it only loads/plays songs within the selected folder, even if said folder contains a bunch of other folders. Is there a way to fix that?

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #716 of 775
One KEY feature Rockbox has over the original firmware is the ability to add folders, albums, artists, songs, etc. to your now playing playlist on the fly (Just long press on the selected album, and click "current playlist" and "insert last"). The original firmware only lets you add songs to a playlist one song at a time on the device, but I tend to mostly listen to full albums at a time and set up a playlist of a few albums and then just let them play through. And I know I could create a playlist on my computer first and copy it onto the original firmware, but that's way more work, and I like to be able to turn the player on, decide what I want to listen to in that moment, and make a playlist full of a bunch of albums without having to touch the player again to change albums.

I use bluetooth headphones occasionally, but I much prefer analog headphones, especially for high resolution music that this player supports. My favorite headphones are the Tunai Drum (more bassy version) and Piano (more balanced version) earbuds. That said, I actually use the original firmware more for high res files since Rockbox actually downsamples anything higher than 44.1khz/16bit down to 44.1/16, while the original firmware supports 192khz/24bit and even supports surround sound.

So the way I use my Rocker mostly is, if I'm going to be listening to a bunch of different albums by a bunch of different artists and I want to quickly set up a playlist of them to play in order, I'll boot up Rockbox with a 200GB SD card that has my larger music library, consisting of mostly mp3s (320kbps when possible). But if I want to listen to a single high resolution album, I'll put in a different 200GB SD card that has all my high-res FLACs on it (a smaller selection, but some of my favorite albums), and boot up the original firmware, and listen to that album at the best quality.

For me, battery life isn't an issue. I use it mostly on my 1.5 hour commute, and charge it at home and at my office. Since I rarely use it until the battery runs out, I don't even notice the battery life difference between the original firmware and Rockbox.

I came from using a Sansa Clip Zip with Rockbox for years, and had wanted a more high-res player. I got what I wanted with the Rocker's original firmware, but was missing Rockbox's easy playlist features, which I was happy to have back once Rockbox released for the Rocker.
I can't install Rockbox, my firmware is currently at 1.2, please tell me how to install it

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #718 of 775
Follow my instructions in post #707. The first link is an update.upt file that has Rocker 1.2 and Rockbox dual boot, and you have to make sure the latest .rockbox folder is on the root of your sd card.

Would you have to run the update.upt each time you load a new version of the .rockbox daily build, or is it just a one-time to get it to look at that folder?

Still hoping to see bt make it. It sounds like wodz had been poking at that functionality months ago.

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #719 of 775
Would you have to run the update.upt each time you load a new version of the .rockbox daily build, or is it just a one-time to get it to look at that folder?

Still hoping to see bt make it. It sounds like wodz had been poking at that functionality months ago.

Thanks!

Just a one-time update to get it to look at the folder. To update rockbox just replace the folder with the new rockbox folder, nothing else required.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #720 of 775
So I got the T6 with the 1.08 Beta FW and wanted to update it to the AGPtek rocker 1.2. Got it from the AGPtek site, because the link on the first page of this thread is not working.
Copied it to the sd card and went to the update option. The T6 powered off, but then when the update app started, it failed, and the T6 booted up again with the 1.08 Beta...

Does anyone have a copy of a good 1.2 FW version? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back