The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Dec 23, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #5,686 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comments. The usual comparison is with the 650 rather than 555; I guess that says a lot for the 555. I'd love to hear the 800 for curiousity, but could never justify the price. What I'd like to see is someone introduce an amp specifically for the 650 that boosted the extreme highs sufficient to remove the Senn veil. I'm rather surprised that given the popularity of the 650 and the consensus of a veil, no one has come up with such an amp. I'm a great believer in designed synergy rather than randomly trying to match expensive components and going broke in the process.

The β22 designer (Ti Kan) used the HD600 as his reference, the amp will also drive HD650’s to the same level of performance. Whilst it does not compensate for the inherit HD650 veil, as that would be a deviation for a reference level amp, it excels in key areas. I’d say that the HD6XX’s series are very scalable in terms of performance, the better the equipment = less veil. The scalability also applies to topology and the use of balanced equipment which also increases performance.

Mark Spitz, I’ve also heard the HD800’s sounding very average in comparison to the HD650’s, on some amps I even preferred the HD650’s. The tables soon turn the higher up the food chain you climb, in my current system the HD800’s wipe the floor, the HD650’s do not even get a look in.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #5,687 of 5,928
Dropped into B and H, and they had completely redone their headphone display since I was last there. Several very high-end cans and many of the most popular on this board were there for the listening. Who knows what they were using as an amp and a source. As they had probably 100 or more cans all playing the same thing, I am sure that there were many considerations other than absolute top sound quality, and the music was something I would never listen to, kinda poppy-dancey.

I have not been a big head-fi guy, but I am seriously interested now. The best phones I have heard are my Westone 3 outta an Ipod classic. Other than that I have some SR-80s. I tried the HD800 first and thought they were great. Denon d-7000 sounded similar but pale and small by comparison. Don't want to step on peoples religion but RS-1 seemed to me poor. Reminded me of those big speakers one used to get with stereo systems at K-Mart. I didn't like any of the Grados or AKGs. The HD-650 and DT990 sounded best among the more affordable cans.

The HD800s seemed in a different league.

Nothing at stake, no money invested, just reporting what I heard.

I can only think the HD 800 with good amp and a good source would be about as well as one could do in terms of hearing the music.

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #5,688 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you love a headphone that sounds veiled? And why are you trying to fix something that can't be fixed (other than through EQ)? Just buy an HD600 and be happy.

Well, one can love everything but the veil, which after all is not a deal-breaker. And why do you say the veil can't be fixed when many claim they've fixed it? As for the 600, I've owned one and didn't care for it at all. The 600 is a quite different beast than the 650, despite what some may say. It sounds more forward in the upper mids and thus more suitable for rock etc. I'm a classical man and much prefer the more refined 650.

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #5,689 of 5,928
I am seriously considering replacing my HD650s ( love of my life ) with the new flagman. However, I use the HD650s a lot while outside, with my ipod. I just love to isolate myself from the world around me, while walking down the street.

However, the question arises: since both HD650 and HD800 share the same impedance level ( 300 ohm ), does that mean that HD800s will sound that good with an ipod, as do the 650s? Everybody keeps saying that those headphones show their true face with a suitable amp, but I have had absolutely no troubles using them with my ipod.

I also noticed that the set of 800s does not include the minijack that is used in ipods. I would really love if anyone of you guys has both the 650s and 800s, and could try and see if the minijack of the 650 set suits and plays well with the 800s, cause frankly, if I cannot use the 800s with an ipod, the deal is not good enough for me.

Any idea where could I purchase a separate minijack that would be appropriate for the 800s?

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #5,690 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ionicle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously considering replacing my HD650s ( love of my life ) with the new flagman. However, I use the HD650s a lot while outside, with my ipod. I just love to isolate myself from the world around me, while walking down the street.

However, the question arises: since both HD650 and HD800 share the same impedance level ( 300 ohm ), does that mean that HD800s will sound that good with an ipod, as do the 650s? Everybody keeps saying that those headphones show their true face with a suitable amp, but I have had absolutely no troubles using them with my ipod.

I also noticed that the set of 800s does not include the minijack that is used in ipods. I would really love if anyone of you guys has both the 650s and 800s, and could try and see if the minijack of the 650 set suits and plays well with the 800s, cause frankly, if I cannot use the 800s with an ipod, the deal is not good enough for me.

Any idea where could I purchase a separate minijack that would be appropriate for the 800s?

HD800 actually sounds decent out of iPod. The minijack from the HD650 should work fine also.
But I don't know about wearing it outside. Well, if you don't mind looking like a majorly dorky space cadet and everyone giving you funny looks, I guess you'll be ok.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #5,691 of 5,928
yeah, I have been getting those looks all the time, but it doesnt bother me one bit, so I guess I'll be OK. My concern is only if the minijack of the 650s will fit and play fine with the 800s. thank you for your insight ( I will be using the 800s with a Classic iPod, probably a new 80gigs model ).

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #5,692 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abstraction /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not been a big head-fi guy, but I am seriously interested now. The best phones I have heard are my Westone 3 outta an Ipod classic. Other than that I have some SR-80s. I tried the HD800 first and thought they were great. Denon d-7000 sounded similar but pale and small by comparison. Don't want to step on peoples religion but RS-1 seemed to me poor. Reminded me of those big speakers one used to get with stereo systems at K-Mart. I didn't like any of the Grados or AKGs. The HD-650 and DT990 sounded best among the more affordable cans.

The HD800s seemed in a different league.

Nothing at stake, no money invested, just reporting what I heard.

I can only think the HD 800 with good amp and a good source would be about as well as one could do in terms of hearing the music.

I sure wish I could find some speakers at K-Mart that sound like RS-1's!

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5,693 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sure wish I could find some speakers at K-Mart that sound like RS-1's!

I was thinking the same thing.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #5,694 of 5,928
I am off to K-Mart now.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #5,695 of 5,928
Are the HD800 out of stocks everywhere or at least in Canada? Looks like it will be weeks before I can get a set. Even some online places showing out of stock? Getting too popular perhaps? Too many are reading this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:17 AM Post #5,696 of 5,928
Ionicle, I don't think HD800s are appropriate for outside listening as they are fully open cans and u'll hear every noise around you. Also, while listening to them from only an Ipod they may not better the HD650, au contrary, they may even sound worse !

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #5,697 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, one can love everything but the veil, which after all is not a deal-breaker. And why do you say the veil can't be fixed when many claim they've fixed it? As for the 600, I've owned one and didn't care for it at all. The 600 is a quite different beast than the 650, despite what some may say. It sounds more forward in the upper mids and thus more suitable for rock etc. I'm a classical man and much prefer the more refined 650.

I'm also a classical man and much prefer Stax/the K1000 to either the 600 or 650. But if I had to pick one I'd pick the 600 due to its flatter frequency response. I do not find it being particularly forward in the upper mids. Veil is very much a deal breaker for me.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #5,699 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ionicle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know exactly what an iPod is capable of (since I don't own one) but the HD800 does sound sound quite good driven by my Iriver H120 DAP.Not exactly as good as at home, but that's no surprise since the upstream electronics at home do cost ~ €2500 and to my own surprise the difference isn't what I'd call a night and day difference, at least not in terms of enjoyability.

In any case to my ears the HD800 does blow the HD6X0 varieties out of the water, and I'm going so far to say that the Iriver driven HD800 is superior to any combination I've heard the HD6X0 varieties with, and I've owned the latter for many years (since 2003 until recently).

Naturally the Sennheiser adapter cable bundled with the HD650 does work as well in combination with the HD800.AFAIK it's available separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back