The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Oct 4, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #5,656 of 5,928
@paulchiu:

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=10209

(Cambridge Audio DacMagic (modded), RSA Apache (revision C), Sennheiser HD800, Grado HF2, Power Distributor (Oyaide MTB-6... US Plugs), Tweaks, XLR ICs and Power cables, Audio Agile Power Cord, BlackSand Violet Z1: Black Sand Silver Reference V, Taoc 25MF, Taoc SBL-13MT, Acoustic Revive: DBP-3, AR-DC3, AR RGC24,Telos RCA and XLR caps, Cardas Golden Cross, Nordost: Blue Heaven, Baldur, Frey, Valgrind dock )

I'm too lazy to google the names.

So many HD800s at that meet. Must say that I'm really, really impressed with what this model is capable of. Major throwback is 1st: price, 2nd: they're bloody ugly.

Oct 8, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #5,659 of 5,928
simple answer...no

they are not known for bass prowess. maybe DX1000 or L3000 are more glorified electronic cans. maybe with the right amp the hd800 would get you there but I dunno.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #5,660 of 5,928
I've been trying to justify to myself to buy a $1400++ pair of cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #5,661 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
simple answer...no.

I second that.

To me they are most well-suited for classical. Maybe jazz too but I do not listen to that much. Slower rock tracks can sound very good but mostly I have to pick carefully outside of classical. They do not seem to 'rock' well nor seem well suited for synthesizers. Many folks will disagree though.

The D7000s are by far my favorite for rock and electronica (not something I often listen to though). I would choose the Denons over the DX1000s, I find the bass to be tighter, quicker, and punchier. L3000s are sublime for both for sure, but most likely well out of your price range. The JH13|Pros are fantastic with everything and have the added benefit of being portable. Edition 8 & 9s are probably a safe bet as well if you want to stay in the Ultrasone family, but I have just tried them in stores.

As usual, best to try for yourself.

Good luck!

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #5,662 of 5,928
Any of the HD800 owners had the opportunity to also listen extensivley Stax SR-303 or SR-404 well amped.

From what I read, they could share some similarities, assuming of course one is electrostatic and the other electrodynamic.

I was thinking about the Stax Lambda big soundstage and lack of focus, excellent extension on extremes, transparency and resolution, with an emphasis in the lower highs... Any thoughts?

Thanks

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #5,664 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of the HD800 owners had the opportunity to also listen extensivley Stax SR-303 or SR-404 well amped.

From what I read, they could share some similarities, assuming of course one is electrostatic and the other electrodynamic.

I was thinking about the Stax Lambda big soundstage and lack of focus, excellent extension on extremes, transparency and resolution, with an emphasis in the lower highs... Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have the HD800/Double-Helix cable on Eddie Current ZDT amp, and SR-404 Limited Edition (silver plated cable) on a maxed Woo GES.

Overall I like the HD800 a little better in terms of imaging, bass punch and extension at both ends. Both are very detailed and fast, while the SR-404LE are a little more forward sounding with a more "blended" imaging and soundstage. Still, an SR-404 with standard Woo GES could cost 1/2 the HD800/ZDT rig, and offer a very competitive sound that is only a little behind the better rig.

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #5,666 of 5,928
I have X-Meridian 7.1 and have both phones. Hd800 is not harder to drive than HD650.
Your soundcard is good enough to not worry about amp unless going on good tube or B22.
Mid quality SS amp will not be an upgrade to your Xonar IMO.

Dec 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #5,668 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gu Sensei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that.

To me they are most well-suited for classical. Maybe jazz too but I do not listen to that much. Slower rock tracks can sound very good but mostly I have to pick carefully outside of classical. They do not seem to 'rock' well nor seem well suited for synthesizers. Many folks will disagree though.

The D7000s are by far my favorite for rock and electronica (not something I often listen to though). I would choose the Denons over the DX1000s, I find the bass to be tighter, quicker, and punchier. L3000s are sublime for both for sure, but most likely well out of your price range. The JH13|Pros are fantastic with everything and have the added benefit of being portable. Edition 8 & 9s are probably a safe bet as well if you want to stay in the Ultrasone family, but I have just tried them in stores.

As usual, best to try for yourself.

Good luck!

I see you also own the PS-1000's, if it were between the HD-800 and the PS-1000, which would you say will handle rock and electronica better? Thanks.

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #5,669 of 5,928
Just got my HD800s in tonight. Ouch. I keep doing SPL measurements and realizing that I'm listening much louder than is healthy. Here's to hoping I don't kill my hearing with these things.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #5,670 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by htsource /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently I have a pair of 650 running off my PC with an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card, thinking of upgrading to 800, but not sure if I need new amp to drive 800 phones?

They need approximately the same amount of power. The better the quality of the power (preferably including an amp worthy of said headphones), the better the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back