The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #5,176 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HE60 has enough bass for my taste as well.

And I think that is the point though. For some(maybe even a lot, I don't know) people, the HE60 has enough bass (myself included), but I can also recognize that bass is not their strong point, and that compared to other headphones(like the PS-1, L3000, etc.) they can be said to lack bass.

But there is always a tradeoff for extreme detail and bass. I can't really think of one can that has extremely high detail AND extremely well done bass.

May 22, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #5,178 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't belive people anymore when they talk about bass.
my K1000 had much more bass than my K701 and SR-80,and people always claimed that the K1000 had no bass..for me they have lots of bass..

You are comparing them to two other cans that "arguably" aren't good in the bass department. The K1000 has great bass impact(with a good amp), but it has a distinct rolloff and bass quantity is not what it's known for. That may not bother you or me(as I enjoy them very much), but I can understand how it comes off as "bass deficient to someone else.

Compare them to the Ed. 9, L3000, D5K, etc. and it's another story.

May 22, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #5,179 of 5,928
The thread title is misleading and a bit frustrating - there's no actual review provided by Jude, at least in the first several pages.

I'm not really inclined to read the remaining 300+ pages... LOL

Where are these links?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You shouldn't jump to conclusions before you've read the entire thread. There are plenty of reviews throughout.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was Currawong that created a thread that had links to all of them so one wouldn't have to use their waders.

May 23, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #5,181 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, there has been no real review as of yet. The whole thread is just hot air.

More like a lead balloon
popcorn.gif

May 23, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #5,182 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John D. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More like a lead balloon
popcorn.gif

In about a week, hopefully, we will have a more balanced view point from those of us attending CanJam. We will have a variety of equipment and opinions regarding these phones. We should have more valuable observations from serious listeners in a relaxed environment (and more than a 3 to 5 minute glimpse).

May 23, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5,183 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, there has been no real review as of yet. The whole thread is just hot air.

Yes there have. Jude and other's have taken the time out to write small reviews since CES.

Compared to the size of this and the other thread, the number of reviews falls by the wayside.
Use the comparison of how much real juice is in a bottle of Sunny D.

May 23, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #5,184 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In about a week, hopefully, we will have a more balanced view point from those of us attending CanJam. We will have a variety of equipment and opinions regarding these phones. We should have more valuable observations from serious listeners in a relaxed environment (and more than a 3 to 5 minute glimpse).

Well, there is a slight complication - unless Senn shows with PRODUCTION units, there is nothing to be gained at CJ over what is already observed, as Tyll intimated the *known* hd800 coming are the pre-production units.

Nope, the real balanced point of view will come when what is actually being sold / shipped hit our rigs. Only then will the true story be known, and the associated meets involving what Head-fiers actually receive.

May 23, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #5,185 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there is a slight complication - unless Senn shows with PRODUCTION units, there is nothing to be gained at CJ over what is already observed, as Tyll intimated the *known* hd800 coming are the pre-production units.

Nope, the real balanced point of view will come when what is actually being sold / shipped hit our rigs. Only then will the true story be known, and the associated meets involving what Head-fiers actually receive.

True! But the impressions from CanJam that will be posted, are from the same phones that others have heard.
Also, in having more than "one" phone on hand we can gage (somewhat) a unit to unit consistency. With more than "one" phone also tells us that they are beyond prototype and they have pre-production units.

And you must admit, this will tell the attendees if they are in line for something indeed worth waiting for. I agree that only with living with a piece of gear can comparisons be made the final determination be validated.

The WOW factor has subsided and the listening can start!

May 23, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #5,186 of 5,928
Changing the ear pads can have dramatic effects on the sound characteristics of the headphone (as any beyerdynamic owner will tell you). I'm sure if sennheiser was forced to change ear pad materials they are doing their best to recreate the sonic signature of the prototypes.

Still, it has yet to be seen how close to the prototype units they can make them.

It would be a little misleading if sennheiser brought prototype versions to headphone meets at this point in time knowing they will be different from the real HD800 headphones. It would be a shame if there were no Real HD800 at can jam (we've been waiting so long now...).

May 23, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #5,187 of 5,928
If ANY units make it to Connecticut next week, there is NO reason some can't make it to LA, as, no doubt, many of the pre-orderers will be in LA.

May 23, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #5,188 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Changing the ear pads can have dramatic effects on the sound characteristics of the headphone (as any beyerdynamic owner will tell you). I'm sure if sennheiser was forced to change ear pad materials they are doing their best to recreate the sonic signature of the prototypes.

Still, it has yet to be seen how close to the prototype units they can make them.

It would be a little misleading if sennheiser brought prototype versions to headphone meets at this point in time knowing they will be different from the real HD800 headphones. It would be a shame if there were no Real HD800 at can jam (we've been waiting so long now...).

I'd be happy with an HD799 1/2!

May 23, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5,189 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll,
We will be able to take one of the HD800 to our own tables to try on our own equipment for a few minutes?
Thanks.

I am glad to see that you are really excited to be attending Can Jam, you certainly have made yourself at home with all your requests for special name badges and various other nits and such. Even helping out with the HD 800 thread in posting how you seem to have no problem purchasing HD 800s from a non Head-Fi sponsor while asking the Head-Fi sponsors to do you a favor. Neat!

Oh by the way I note that you are local but haven't offered to help out at Can Jam. Can you explain why? We need to have enthusiastic people with lots of ideas helping out.
Thanks!

May 23, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #5,190 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am glad to see that you are really excited to be attending Can Jam, you certainly have made yourself at home with all your requests for special name badges and various other nits and such. Even helping out with the HD 800 thread in posting how you seem to have no problem purchasing HD 800s from a non Head-Fi sponsor while asking the Head-Fi sponsors to do you a favor. Neat!

Oh by the way I note that you are local but haven't offered to help out at Can Jam. Can you explain why? We need to have enthusiastic people with lots of ideas helping out.
Thanks!

PWN'ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back