The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
May 20, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #5,086 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bumped into the HD800's product manager Maurice while in Sennheiser yesterday. He mentioned that the 1st batch to the US will be shipping out today. They're handmade in small quantity in Germany, hence the long wait.

Somehow I highly doubt this. I'm going to wait until I hear from Tyll or just anyone in the US if they physically got it and show pictures of a box with the 800s in them.

May 20, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5,087 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that's the exact situation that RPM proponents want to avoid. The free rider benefits from the pre-sales information and/or service, but undercuts the conforming retailer. Manufacturers do not want that. Nor do conforming retailers.

RPM critics likely would say, so what if the free rider undercuts. Competition on price is good. The RPM supporter response likely would suggest that RPM yields a net consumer benefit because the consumer is paying a higher price for higher service. Therefore, while retailers would not compete on price, they would compete on service, which would be a benefit to the consumer. This point has been compelling to pro-RPM courts. Manufacturers likely also would argue that RPM allows them to maintain the integrity and quality of their brands, which is particularly applicable in situations--as here--where a manufacturer is launching a flagship product. Senn does not want the brand (and profits) diluted by discounters and free riders...............................

Thank you for the response.

A retailer who offers a discount has their advantages just as a retailer who offers service has theirs. But why would I want to pay $1400 to Amazon who has no service when I could pay $1400 to TTVJ and get great service? This is the other side of the coin. This supports the small guy but then eliminates the need for the big guy if the big guy is not allowed to trade high price for quality of service & support. Yet Sennheiser still sells to Amazon and J&R. That tells me that Sennheiser doesn't really care as much about the little guy offering better service or about product integrity as they do about their profits; sure, they might care a little, but not if it comes at the expense of profiting on this product. That's how 99.9999% of successful businesses think because if they didn't, they wouldn't be in business.

May 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #5,088 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the response.

A retailer who offers a discount has their advantages just as a retailer who offers service has theirs. But why would I want to pay $1400 to Amazon who has no service when I could pay $1400 to TTVJ and get great service? This is the other side of the coin.

A potential purchaser would buy it at Amazon for any number of reasons including but not limited to Amazon's own brand equity. Or as a one-click impulse purchase. Consumers do not necessarily behave rationally.

Quote:

This supports the small guy but then eliminates the need for the big guy if the big guy is not allowed to trade high price for quality of service & support. Yet Sennheiser still sells to Amazon and J&R.

And that may get Senn in trouble down the rode, even under a rule of reason analysis.

Quote:

That tells me that Sennheiser doesn't really care as much about the little guy offering better service or about product integrity as they do about their profits; sure, they might care a little, but not if it comes at the expense of profiting on this product. That's how 99.9999% of successful businesses think because if they didn't, they wouldn't be in business.

Senn is a corporation. As you correctly note, it "cares" about service and such things only insofar as it will generate the most profit and/or increase the value of the brand.

May 20, 2009 at 6:46 AM Post #5,089 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by TubeStack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there an actual review anywhere in this thread?

There is a 4-page review in the June issue of Hi-Fi Plus magazine. Due in the shopos tomorrow in the UK and a few days later in the USA.

May 20, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #5,090 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a 4-page review in the June issue of Hi-Fi Plus magazine. Due in the shopos tomorrow in the UK and a few days later in the USA.

Will it be posted on the internet?

May 20, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #5,092 of 5,928
Nevermind the cans, as long as we get all these fine reviews!

May 20, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #5,093 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadRoom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp @ HeadRoom

HeadRoom Ultra Desktop DAC @ HeadRoom

And so forth..... actually talked to a few Danes around here who also happened to have [other] balanced amp's and such so looking forward to that this summer
wink.gif

When I read mutilate, I assume you're going to thoroughly destroy the entire cable...

The proprietary connectors Sennheiser showed me is the one the 2-pin plug that connects the cable to both side of the ear piece. Are you saying this is openly available or the XLR connector to the amp?

May 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #5,094 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somehow I highly doubt this. I'm going to wait until I hear from Tyll or just anyone in the US if they physically got it and show pictures of a box with the 800s in them.

I'm a Sennheiser supplier who visits them as part of my work but not involved in the HD800. Just sharing what I heard direct from the team. Anyway, it's just a headphone, why would anyone want to create rumors about delivery dates...

May 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #5,095 of 5,928
Quote:

I'm a Sennheiser supplier who visits them as part of my work but not involved in the HD800. Just sharing what I heard direct from the team. Anyway, it's just a headphone, why would anyone want to create rumors about delivery dates...

It's not "just a headphone"....It's one of the best headphones!!!

May 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #5,096 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, so is there any bit of truth to Sennheiser shipping out the HD800 tomorrow? It seems like a reasonable thing to happen.

As I am in the UK I do not have any information about shipments to the USA.

Sorry.

May 20, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #5,097 of 5,928
Quote:

When I read mutilate, I assume you're going to thoroughly destroy the entire cable...

The proprietary connectors Sennheiser showed me is the one the 2-pin plug that connects the cable to both side of the ear piece. Are you saying this is openly available or the XLR connector to the amp?

Original cable + mod + Neutrik XLR =

May 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #5,098 of 5,928
Quote:

As a supplier who has regular contact with Senn, I look forward to your insight as to what, specifically, is causing the delivery delays. Thanks!

May 20, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #5,099 of 5,928
Quote:

And what is exactly the thing you heard direct from the team that you're sharing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back