The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 12, 2009 at 6:27 AM Post #856 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you are forced to go balanced, a new owner should enjoy the 800's as is, and then, a year down the line, you can upgrade and move up to the next level.

It appears that Sennheiser has succeeded in giving us hobbyists a new found excitement. Long overdue.

There's something new on the horizon. A new FOTM that could actually be worthy of the label.

Well said. Be ultra familiar with your gear and sound first. Evaluate available mods and upgrades earlier in the chain. Get those in line first, then find the right cans for the music.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #857 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I placed a preorder with Headroom. There is not going to be a lot of them available immediately since they are more or less assembled by hand in Germany.

And with Headroom's awesome return policy, it's a no-brainer for me. If I don't like it, better than what I have, I can return it.

-Ed

Plus I see they are serial number predominently, so you'll get a nice low number, too! That serial number also suggest to me this may be a low production run item, too.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #858 of 5,928
Quote:

I placed a preorder with Headroom. There is not going to be a lot of them available immediately since they are more or less assembled by hand in Germany.

And with Headroom's awesome return policy, it's a no-brainer for me. If I don't like it, better than what I have, I can return it.

-Ed

Doesn't Headroom charge 15% restocking fee? That's what I experienced a couple years ago. Amazon, on the other hand, has THE best return policy on internet I've ever seen. They even pay return shipping for most cases.

I preordered HD800 from Amazon.

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #859 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't Headroom charge 15% restocking fee? That's what I experienced a couple years ago. Amazon, on the other hand, has THE best return policy on internet I've ever seen. They even pay return shipping for most cases.

Really? I thought that Amazon doesn't have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and that you can only return it if it's broken or for Amazon credit!

I'm going to read the Amazon policy now
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #860 of 5,928
Quote:

Amazon is not really top of my shopping list. They are really slow to ship things often. It's a real crap shoot. And they haven't paid for return shipping on anything I've returned in the past few years. I remember they used to give you a UPS return label, that you could just drop off.

I've bought from Headroom quite a few times before. They've given me a full refund each time I returned something.

Here's a link to their return policy.
Refunds - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I don't know if IEM's are allowed to be returned for 100% refund due to hygienic reasons anymore. Quite a few years ago, I returned Ety ER-4P's for a full refund.

-Ed

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #862 of 5,928
From what I know, Stefan Audio Art has been working on this new cable for some time, but I have no idea whether James had an early HD800 or not. I just know that this new cable for Senns (and probably other cans too) has been in the works a long time, so it really isn't a case of jumping on the bandwagon. The price is what it is and everyone has a right to bitch and moan but the bottom line is if you don't want it then don't buy it. Cables in hi-end audio can be thousands each, and as somebody admitted earlier, many of us have cables that cost as much or more than the cans.

Anyway, I meant to point out that HD800 serial nos. 1-200 are reserved for the company (Dr. Sennheiser gets 001 fittingly) and for special customers or some such. We should assume that the Senn has made at least 150 pairs given the serial nos. of the pairs we saw at CES (248 and 348) but nobody around here is likely to see a number south of 200.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #863 of 5,928
People if you want top flight headphone retailers like TTVJ and Headroom don't order from Amazon.com. Both Todd and Tyl do much for the community and both support this site and local and the national meet. If you are going to order I would really urge you to give either of these guys you business before amazon or any large dot come that is not an intergral part of this community.

I really like Amazon and order from them regularly for books cds... just in this case support those that help support us.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #865 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People if you want top flight headphone retailers like TTVJ and Headroom don't order from Amazon.com. Both Todd and Tyl do much for the community and both support this site and local and the national meet. If you are going to order I would really urge you to give either of these guys you business before amazon or any large dot come that is not an intergral part of this community.

I really like Amazon and order from them regularly for books cds... just in this case support those that help support us.

Well said. I agree wholeheartedly

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #866 of 5,928
I wish I could have listened to these headphones more today but my ears hurt anytime I listen to the benchmark so I just couldn't.

They sound really great and compared to the 650s, I think the jump in price is well worth the jump in quality.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #867 of 5,928
Quote:

Amazon is not really top of my shopping list. They are really slow to ship things often. It's a real crap shoot. And they haven't paid for return shipping on anything I've returned in the past few years. I remember they used to give you a UPS return label, that you could just drop off.

I've bought from Headroom quite a few times before. They've given me a full refund each time I returned something.

Here's a link to their return policy.
Refunds - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

I don't know if IEM's are allowed to be returned for 100% refund due to hygienic reasons anymore. Quite a few years ago, I returned Ety ER-4P's for a full refund.

-Ed

In 2007, I ordered a Desktop Amp and separete DAC, top config. total $2000. I don't like the sound and returned within a WEEK with all the original packaging including the wrap paper. I was charged over $300 (IFICR) restocking fee!!! Since then, I swore I will never buy anything from Headroom.

On the contrary, I bought at least $20K worth of stuff from Amazon over the years, ranging from CD, Electonics, Headphones, Cameras and Lens (expense!!!) ... I returned a few times and EACH TIME no question asked. In fact I don't even have to call them, just click on the "return" button on my order and print a shipping label and cost me nothing mostly. The only time I got charged shipping is to return twice a Canon lens of $1400.

Two thumb wayyyy up for Amazon!!!

I know Headroom is a supporter of Head-fi and would love to buy from them. And I DID -- my purchase from them was my VERY FIRST Head-fi equipment purchase since I got into this hobby. But man I was disappointed. I am an easy guy I didn't even blink when they asked me to pay the hefty restocking fee. But hey they lose my business permanently.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #868 of 5,928
Quote:

In 2007, I ordered a Desktop Amp and separete DAC, top config. total $2000. I don't like the sound and returned within a WEEK with all the original packaging including the wrap paper. I was charged over $300 (IFICR) restocking fee!!! Since then, I swore I will never buy anything from Headroom.

On the contrary, I bought at least $20K worth of stuff from Amazon over the years, ranging from CD, Electonics, Headphones, Cameras and Lens (expense!!!) ... I returned a few times and EACH TIME no question asked. In fact I don't even have to call them, just click on the "return" button on my order and print a shipping label and cost me nothing mostly. The only time I got charged shipping is to return twice a Canon lens of $1400.

Two thumb wayyyy up for Amazon!!!

I know Headroom is a supporter of Head-fi and would love to buy from them. And I DID -- my purchase from them was my VERY FIRST Head-fi equipment purchase since I got into this hobby. But man I was disappointed. I am an easy guy I didn't even blink when they asked me to pay the hefty restocking fee. But hey they lose my business permanently.

Hmmm. That sucks. Did you call and dispute with Headroom?

My experience with Amazon has been a mixed bag. Results may vary, I guess.

-Ed

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #869 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, for those that must order from Amazon, there's that nice Head-Fi Amazon referral link at the top of the page ^^^
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #870 of 5,928
Quote:

Hmmm. That sucks. Did you call and dispute with Headroom?

My experience with Amazon has been a mixed bag. Results may vary, I guess.

-Ed

I have placed a pre-order with Amazon. But I will check TTVJ for HD800 availability.

Amazon is a bit slow in getting new models in stock. I just had a miserable experience pre-ordering Canon 5D Mark II camera from them. I pre-ordered in Sept. In Dec everybody else got theirs from boutique shops but mine is waiting
frown.gif
I eventually canceled it out of frustration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back