The Sennheiser HD 800: The First Listen, The First Review
Jan 12, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #841 of 5,928
Okay.The price for the HD800 doesn't seem unreasonable when you consider the technology and the class of headphone it represents.This headphone is not in the HD650 class.But they are going for the +$1000 headphone customers.For those who can afford it!(maybe not the lower to middle income guys,who are bitching about their price!).But "Stefan Art",come on!$1400 for your quickly designed upgrade!The stock cord looks sufficient!And read about their high quality construction,compared to many stock cables.It's obvious Seinnheiser doesn't want people screwing with their design with the 2 pin connectors.$1400 for a headphone cable!That's would people should be bitching about.Though i don't think they will sell many of them.And rightly so!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #842 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume plenty of people will choose to reterminate existing Senn cables with the new Lemo connectors. BUT, the new cable is substantial and seems less in need of change than the 600/650 cables.

Well, I _have_ to reterminate my aftermarket cable (either APS v3 or Enigma Oracle) with Lemo, as I'd need to NOT hack the original cable in the unlikely event of resale. Hence why I ordered a second cable also (assuming that is an option, and I do not yet know if it is or isn't), so the only non-invasive path to even use balanced is reterm an existing cable, no matter how good the stock SE happens to be.

Good news the new cable is good - too bad I'll never be able to use it.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #843 of 5,928
Unless you are forced to go balanced, a new owner should enjoy the 800's as is, and then, a year down the line, you can upgrade and move up to the next level.

It appears that Sennheiser has succeeded in giving us hobbyists a new found excitement. Long overdue.

There's something new on the horizon. A new FOTM that could actually be worthy of the label.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #844 of 5,928
1,400 for a recable job.. So for the 800s to sound their best you need HIS cable? Has he tried the 800 stock and with his cable? I lose respect for fleecing people.. Reminds me of the 1,000 Jena labs R10 screw up .. But the 800 should have a detachable cable.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #845 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay.The price for the HD800 doesn't seem unreasonable when you consider the technology and the class of headphone it represents.This headphone is not in the HD650 class.But they are going for the +$1000 headphone customers.For those who can afford it!(maybe not the lower to middle income guys,who are bitching about their price!).But "Stefan Art",come on!$1400 for your quickly designed upgrade!The stock cord looks sufficient!And read about their high quality construction,compared to many stock cables.It's obvious Seinnheiser doesn't want people screwing with their design with the 2 pin connectors.$1400 for a headphone cable!That's would people should be bitching about.Though i don't think they will sell many of them.And rightly so!
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's possible they dropped them in their shopping cart as a placeholder? That would accomplish the place holding and get us talking about them in the meantime all at the same time.

I'm going on the guess that there is no way that number is for real.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #846 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you do up some more?

I heard Paris just ordered 20 of these in Pink.

I also heard Kanye ordered a Pair in 24 kt Gold with Diamonds encrusted.

Hey, I was just playing around, and I know how much you guys like pics. I said myself that I don't care what headphones look like, and furthermore, I've never seen them, and even further more I think the Orpheus may very well be the best system I've ever heard, so I'm not one to pick at their judgement.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #847 of 5,928
That 1400 $ cable looks like a joke, unless he has had the hd800 already for a long time to be able to make a cable that match the hd800 perfectly, I don't see what would justify that price.
And sennheiser seems to have made an effort to select their silver plated cable as well so unless its to go balanced there may hopefully be no need to change cable.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #848 of 5,928
What I'd be interested in is a comparison of these to the SA5000's.

Many initial impressions have mentioned lightning-quick transients and clarity, which is a trait I associate with the Sony's as well. It would be interesting to see if the HD800 could actually better the SA5000 in this regard, and how it fares against them for mids and bass.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #849 of 5,928
The sad part of Hi-End audio is it's price gouging...for lack of a better description. I have been going to the CES in Vegas since 1987 and have never missed a show...until this year. One of the biggest reasons (I have several) I decided not to go, is: over the last 5 years I have become very disenchanted with the absolutely insane cost increases for equipment. I have watched companies raise the retail on items based on rave reviews, without really changing the design. One German speaker manufacturer over doubled it's retail price in a few short years actually losing the American distributor in the process. In my opinion, the High End audio industry has shot itself in the foot with it's greed, much like the Real Estate industry ( at least in Ca.) has done over the last 5-8 years.
After talking to a few of buddies that attended the CES this week, they reported...no surprise...attendance was depressingly low. I understand the current economic situation is largely responsible, but the last 2 years at the High End venues of the CES were dismal compared to previous.
Point being: I hope that it is a typo for SAA Equinox cable for the Senns. 800, if not...somebody else might be limping around with a GSW to the foot.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #851 of 5,928
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sad part of Hi-End audio is it's price gouging...for lack of a better description. I have been going to the CES in Vegas since 1987 and have never missed a show...until this year. One of the biggest reasons (I have several) I decided not to go, is: over the last 5 years I have become very disenchanted with the absolutely insane cost increases for equipment. I have watched companies raise the retail on items based on rave reviews, without really changing the design. One German speaker manufacturer over doubled it's retail price in a few short years actually losing the American distributor in the process. In my opinion, the High End audio industry has shot itself in the foot with it's greed, much like the Real Estate industry ( at least in Ca.) has done over the last 5-8 years.
After talking to a few of buddies that attended the CES this week, they reported...no surprise...attendance was depressingly low. I understand the current economic situation is largely responsible, but the last 2 years at the High End venues of the CES were dismal compared to previous.
Point being: I hope that it is a typo for SAA Equinox cable for the Senns. 800, if not...somebody else might be limping around with a GSW to the foot.

You're right. Stefan Audio Art is being greedy. There's no reason to release such a cable right now, as the headphone hasn't been released. It's likely that SAA is trying to make some ridiculous money from the hype.

If it isn't a typo, that $1400 cable is a slap to the face of cable enthusiasts. SAA thinks they can take advantage! Their description of the new cable is nonsense, IMO. They definitely haven't had enough time to listen and research the HD800 to voice, let alone introduce "advanced conductive surface material" to their cable. How the heck do they know the new material is "VOICED" for the HD800. It's ridiculous. It's greed.

I hate the cable industry.

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #852 of 5,928
The guy that owns SAA used to work for Sennheiser I understand. It's entirely possible he got a pre-release unit.

$1400 is Beta-22 money though, and I bet that one of those will make an HD800 sing. Thing is, those that can afford to drop thr $1400 on a replacement cable, are going to be the people who've already dropped many times that on the amplifier already. They're not going to be the HD800 sounds awesome from my tiny little P-51 crowd. Where awesome = can go loud.

ramble ramble

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #855 of 5,928
I placed a preorder with Headroom. There is not going to be a lot of them available immediately since they are more or less assembled by hand in Germany.

And with Headroom's awesome return policy, it's a no-brainer for me. If I don't like it, better than what I have, I can return it.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back