The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Apr 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #316 of 672
i am going to buy a new pair of sennheisers but i do not know wheather to go with the 600's or 650's. I heard great things about the 600's. I was wondering weather it would be better to buy the 600's and invest the money i would have used on the 650's into a new cable. I heard there is not much difference between the two. I have a p-51 mustang if that makes a difference in the synergy between the 600' and the 650's

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #318 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please think twice before buying the 600/650 when you only have a portable amp. They deserve more power.

Any portable amp is probably much better than the ordinary CDP or receiver amp, thus allow good enjoyment of HD650/600. I used Predator with HD600 and there was no question is was very enjoyable. Don't wait because life is not that long.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #319 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any portable amp is probably much better than the ordinary CDP or receiver amp, thus allow good enjoyment of HD650/600. I used Predator with HD600 and there was no question is was very enjoyable. Don't wait because life is not that long.

True - a portable won't drive them to what they really want, but if you plan to upgrade your amp ever, the 600 and 650 will scale very nicely... up to a pretty high end actually. That's one of the best benefits of these, IMO - they way they really scale with whatever you feed them with.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #320 of 672
I just had HD600 for a few days and while I love the soundstage of DT880. The vocal/mid of HD600 just so sweet and draw me to it constantly. I really like to get another one for office use but also don't want to have another duplicate phone.

So the questions is that is there any other phone has similar HD600 sound quality with better soundstage or other superior sonic features (without doubling the price
biggrin.gif
)?

I really like clear, full and quality mid, smooth high, and well positioned and good sized soundstage (Is it too much to ask?
biggrin.gif
). I have less requirements on the impact/quantity of bass. Some candidates have come to my mind but some review just scare me off:

* HD650: even smaller soundstage, dark high.
* AK701: thin, bright sound and likely not comfortable to wear.
* Dennon, Audio-Technica: not much research done yet.

I preferred open cans with classical, vocal, and new age. Thanks for the recommendations.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #322 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had HD600 for a few days and while I love the soundstage of DT880. The vocal/mid of HD600 just so sweet and draw me to it constantly. I really like to get another one for office use but also don't want to have another duplicate phone.

So the questions is that is there any other phone has similar HD600 sound quality with better soundstage or other superior sonic features (without doubling the price
biggrin.gif
)?

I really like clear, full and quality mid, smooth high, and well positioned and good sized soundstage (Is it too much to ask?
biggrin.gif
). I have less requirements on the impact/quantity of bass. Some candidates have come to my mind but some review just scare me off:

* HD650: even smaller soundstage, dark high.
* AK701: thin, bright sound and likely not comfortable to wear.
* Dennon, Audio-Technica: not much research done yet.

I preferred open cans with classical, vocal, and new age. Thanks for the recommendations.

Look into the K500/K501. If you feel like the HD600 mids are sweet, just wait until you hear one of these. The highs are clear and pretty smooth. I don't find my K500 to be as rolled off in the treble as the HD580 which supposedly is essentially an HD600(like 90-97% similar), but not so much that I find them fatiguing or obtrusive. They have less bass impact and quantity than the HD580/HD600, but the bass is tight and textured. The soundstage of the K500/K501 is extremely wide, but not as deep as the HD580/HD600 soundstage. This makes the mids a bit more forward and engaging, but it also results in what some people find to be an unrealistically wide soundstage. The K500/K501 will have a more airy sound than the HD600, but they will have much less "body" and "weight" to their sound which is something to consider if you appreciate the body and weight of the HD600 tone.

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:54 PM Post #324 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True - a portable won't drive them to what they really want, but if you plan to upgrade your amp ever, the 600 and 650 will scale very nicely... up to a pretty high end actually. That's one of the best benefits of these, IMO - they way they really scale with whatever you feed them with.

Then enjoy your HD with your portable amps.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #325 of 672
I had some HD580's (newer version drivers with HD600 grills) for about a year and while I loved them I ended up moving on. Well the other day I came across a deal on some HD600's (older drivers) that I just couldn't pass up. To be honest I like the HD600's with the older drivers much more then the HD580's with the newer ones. In fact I am really loving them!!!

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #326 of 672
lovely cans, i was lucky enough to spend a few weeks with them as stock, with SAA recable and defoamed

much preferred them stock to defoamed btw.

great cans, the smart, underrated choice!

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #327 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by kejar31 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had some HD580's (newer version drivers with HD600 grills) for about a year and while I loved them I ended up moving on. Well the other day I came across a deal on some HD600's (older drivers) that I just couldn't pass up. To be honest I like the HD600's with the older drivers much more then the HD580's with the newer ones. In fact I am really loving them!!!

wink.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #328 of 672
I just posted a thread on the HD600 that I picked up to tide me over until I get they finally decide to ship the HD800. These sound really, really good out of my portable setup.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #329 of 672
I also had the same experience like you madmax7, I used to own HD650 and I remember it to be ok sounding but recently when I first hear HD600 it struck me like the way HD650 never did, omg the sound is so sweet with a very punchy bass, it was really enjoyable leaving me no desire to wanting more even as I compare it to superior can

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #330 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
)?

HD580
icon10.gif

Same sound, lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back