The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Feb 1, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #301 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already built some but finally decided to come back to the stock cable.
Yeah, the only aftermarket cable that interests me is APS V3 which looks far more professional than others.
I thought I'd never leave the HD650 but I'm listening to the HD600 more lol.

Yeah, Alex does a fine, fine job on these cables. Excellent craftsmanship. As far as sound I wish I could say, but I've changed too many pieces of gear at once to know what caused what to change the sound.

I also prefer the HD600 to the HD650 both SE and balanced. (tried both today on my rig)

Feb 1, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #302 of 672
Thanks Larry and Tran. Will get an amp first I guess, then take a look at cables. Need a new source too. Thinking Marantz.

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #303 of 672
How would the HD600 sound directly out of a PC...would it be worth it if I can get them fairly cheap used?

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #304 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the HD600 sound directly out of a PC...would it be worth it if I can get them fairly cheap used?

You really are gonna want some kind of amp for these. However, a Vividaudiotech.com V1 amp has good synergy with the HD600 and includes a USB DAC and charges via the USB, and it is only $99.

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #305 of 672
Quote:

I have just got the M-Audio Transit to use with my laptop.

It gives plenty of level for my HD 25-1s, but I have not tried it with MY HD 650 yet.

I bought the Transit because it also has a Toslink optical out to feed my Grace m902b when I am at home and can also be used on its own when I am out and about.

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #306 of 672
With an amp would it sound good with the regular sound card that comes with dell laptops?

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #307 of 672
Quote:

It's listenable, however you won't be getting anywhere near their full potential. If you plan on getting an amp later on down the line, then they'd be a good purchase for you. If you don't ever plan on getting an amp, I'd get something else.

Feb 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #308 of 672
I will probably be getting an amp eventually, but what about my laptop soundcard? I think I just have the normal dell soundcard..is this a problem? I have read that soundcard can make a big difference with these headphones, but would they still sound good without a great soundcard?

Edit: I believe the sound card is a High Definition Audio 2.0
Sound Card

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #310 of 672
Quote:

I will probably be getting an amp eventually, but what about my laptop soundcard? I think I just have the normal dell soundcard..is this a problem? I have read that soundcard can make a big difference with these headphones, but would they still sound good without a great soundcard?

Edit: I believe the sound card is a High Definition Audio 2.0
Sound Card

Did you see my reply above? The V1 is an external soundcard (DAC) that plugs into USB and the amp has good synergy with HD600 (works well together) for only $99. You wont have to plug it into the current lousy soundcard. It will also run with an iPod for about 13-15 hours on batery power, being charged by the same USB cable that provides sound with the laptop.

The review is found in the first post of this link: UPDATED 01/04 REVIEW 12 USB DAC amps - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

PS: APureSound V3 cable review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/re...-cables-301979

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #311 of 672
Thanks guys! I didn't have too much time at work today to research too much, and the deal was expiring. I didn't end up getting them cause the price got too high for me, but I am still looking, and now I know what to research. Might not have to do too much because the V1 sounds like a pretty good little DAC/amp for my needs.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #312 of 672
Hi all, I have a question about my brand new HD600. Right out of the box, the headphone sounded much better than it does now after about less than 50 hrs of burning in (I don't keep count of the burning hours). The bass now is almost non-existing. Is this normal of the burn-in process, or something wrong with the driver? Thanks.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #313 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I have a question about my brand new HD600. Right out of the box, the headphone sounded much better than it does now after about less than 50 hrs of burning in (I don't keep count of the burning hours). The bass now is almost non-existing. Is this normal of the burn-in process, or something wrong with the driver? Thanks.

My new ones sounded close to my old ones, and didn't change a lot with burn-in - just picked up a little more sparkle and refinement, but the bass improved and did not become less (although many of my Ultrasones have done that with burn-in).

You're likely okay and it's not defective, just give it more time.

Mar 19, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #314 of 672
Quote:

With an amp would it sound good with the regular sound card that comes with dell laptops?

Quote:

Hi there,

I'm pretty much in the same position--but I've went ahead, and got my pair of HD600's. Buy them knowing all-too-well that they aren't being driven to their potential, and with a purchase down the line, and you'll be satisfied.

I'm currently listening to them from my Dell laptop, and on FLAC files through Foobar and ASIO, they sound relatively good. (READ: Relative to nothing). I've ran them through an amp quite a few times, and they do indeed sound better. But in the interim, they sound very reasonable.

If you're not coming from another high-end setup, you'll be satisfied! (For the short-term
tongue.gif
)

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #315 of 672
Well, after months of waiting, my Headphile BlackSilver V2 cable finally arrived at my door today.

HOLY SCHNIKIES!

Compared to the stock HD-650 cable, the BlackSilver (even straight out of the gate, no burn-in) is superior in every possible way. Not only is the overall sound more open and transparent (which is what I was searching for), but the bass is much tighter and deeper. A welcomed surprise, because I wasn't expecting this out of a silver cable. Actually, the "sound" of this cable is just on the warm side of neutral, I'd say.

Takes the HD-600 to a new level. This is a phenomenal headphone, indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back