The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Jan 5, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #271 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is my EF1 is an early model and the OP275 in the output section cannot be swapped, so I can't try my set of AD743 that are supposed to make you see God with this amp. 12AU7 are easy to find on ebay, and rolling the one tube is easy, so I will get around to trying more tubes soon.

ahh so the newest ef1s are socketed opamps? anyway, if I did want the ad743s in there to begin with, will head direct do it themselves? Thanks again for you help Larry. I have a feeling this will be my next amp for the hd600s. I would get a darkvoice 336 though if the outlet where I can order them has all those tubes you specified since the hd600 is my only reason for getting another amp.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #272 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahh so the newest ef1s are socketed opamps? anyway, if I did want the ad743s in there to begin with, will head direct do it themselves? Thanks again for you help Larry. I have a feeling this will be my next amp for the hd600s. I would get a darkvoice 336 though if the outlet where I can order them has all those tubes you specified since the hd600 is my only reason for getting another amp.

You need to contact HiFlight about the AD743 (two of them on a 2:1 adapter) as he bought up the last few sets available after the quit making them. You could use many other opamps and HiFlight will be the one to know what works. Head-direct doesn't roll the opamps.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #273 of 672
only one bad thing about the EF1... Crappy Arse looks.. woof!
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #274 of 672
Jan 5, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #275 of 672
Oh, ok from reading the link I understand you prefer the stock wa6 to the ef1 or the 336 for the senns? Even the tubes are stock on the woo still better than the dv336 with your preferred tubes?

If thats so, then its a no brainer then, I'll go for the woo6 in stock form and upgrade parts later when I want to. Its also nice because it supports both 110/220 volts

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #276 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, ok from reading the link I understand you prefer the stock wa6 to the ef1 or the 336 for the senns? Even the tubes are stock on the woo still better than the dv336 with your preferred tubes?

If thats so, then its a no brainer then, I'll go for the woo6 in stock form and upgrade parts later when I want to. Its also nice because it supports both 110/220 volts

Yeah. The stock woo had a nice set of RCA 6DE7 and a decent $15 Sovtek 5U4G in the rear, although an RCA or Sylvania ($20-25) 5U4G would be better (less plasticky treble). Even the Sylvania 6DE7 that came with mine were not bad, although I also have RCA in it since May. It is not hard to find good sounding tubes for the WA6.

The only mod you should think about at time of purchase is the $130 "pseudo dual power supply" mod. Later the $150 Sophia Princess 274b rectifier will bring you to within 5% of mine.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #277 of 672
Hey guys (HeadPhone Addict and Donunus) sorry to butt in here - and sorry for straying a bit off topic - but for an amp like the WA6, would the Zero DAC (with an HDAM) be a sufficient source? I mean would it be worth upgrading my LD MKIII to a WA6 with that DAC? I like my setup - a LOT - but after hearing the HD600s really sing I am left a little disappointed... I love the WA6 (only heard it for a short period but) but it was connected to a much more $$ DAC than mine - so I wouldn't want to get one only to be held back... any thoughts? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #278 of 672
so i auditioned the hd600s today, and then recabled them with stock hd650s cables and i have to say they were less bright, easier to listen to, and easily the best cans i have ever listened to. This is after listening to the 650s, which in my opinion have a worst soundstage.

Jan 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #279 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so I wouldn't want to get one only to be held back... any thoughts? Thanks.

Buy the amp, upgrade your DAC later
wink.gif

$$$$$$$$$!

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #281 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys (HeadPhone Addict and Donunus) sorry to butt in here - and sorry for straying a bit off topic - but for an amp like the WA6, would the Zero DAC (with an HDAM) be a sufficient source? I mean would it be worth upgrading my LD MKIII to a WA6 with that DAC? I like my setup - a LOT - but after hearing the HD600s really sing I am left a little disappointed... I love the WA6 (only heard it for a short period but) but it was connected to a much more $$ DAC than mine - so I wouldn't want to get one only to be held back... any thoughts? Thanks.

I think the better the amp the better the HD600 will perform, unless the DAC is utter crap, because you are taking better control of the drivers. I have never heard the Zero but understand it is a decent mid-fi DAC that improves with opamp rolling. If it is at least as good as an iBasso D1 DAC or Headroom Micro DAC then you will be able to appreciate the amp upgrade.

My Maxed WA6 with pseudo dual power supply and sophia princess 274b rectifier sounds on the level of Blutarsky's Zana Deux and Melos SHA Gold that cost 2x as much. It is very close to my Single Power amp driving the HD600 balanced as well. I can't imagine the LD MkIII reaching that level. These amps are all great even with mid-level DAC's like Apogee mini-DAC and Duet or Stello DA100 that cost $500-1000, so the zero may hold you back from the amp's full potential but that is easily remedied with another wallet biopsy later.

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #282 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SNIP so the zero may hold you back from the amp's full potential but that is easily remedied with another wallet biopsy later.

Hahaaa well put. I have done the max on the opamp rolling on the Zero, so it is a pretty decent source now I guess. Certainly sounds much better than using the built-in DAC on my X-fi. What did your souped up WA6 cost if you don't mind my asking. I'd start with the basic unit to be sure, but I'm curious. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #283 of 672
About $1200 with tubes, but you could skip the $380 maxed part, and do $585 basic + $130 for PDPSU and $150 for Sophia and leave it at that. I saved a bit buying used amp.

Jan 10, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #284 of 672
Man these headphones sound AWESOME. The excalibur interconnects really brought out what I needed from the headphones. The equinox (copper) adds the bass that's needed and added a good deal of visceral impact. The excalibur (silver) filled everything up with details, especially on the treble end, tightened up the sound and sped up the pace. Electric guitars now sound amazing. When it comes to cabling, the Equinox and the Excalibur have amazing synergy. I'm finally 'satisfied' with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back