The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Jul 22, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #106 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW.. These things are awesome.. bass is much more controlled, the highs are much more clearer and wow the soundstage. Much better than the 325i's. I'm certain this will be my next purchase, or the hd580's which i hear have the same signature with a different design. To my dismay, the local hi-fi shop is selling this baby for a whopping 600 dollars (Canadian eh..). Hopefully i can find some used pairs that are half this price.

Just get some HD580s on eBay, or Audigon, or Headfi... and... order some HD600 grills, and the HD650 cable... and you've got sound that's better than the HD600s - same headphones, but with the HD650 cable.

But... make sure you get the "new" version of the HD580s, or HD600s for that matter - with the white/silver metalic material covering the baffles in the driver housing.

And... best of all you're total investment will only be about $200!

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #107 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and you've got sound that's better than the HD600s - same headphones, but with the HD650 cable.

imo that's subjective
tongue.gif
, as I prefer the stock 600 cable to the 650 cable, as the 650 cable is too warm, as a result it makes the HD600's sound more like 650s which to me is a bad thing :X

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #108 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imo that's subjective
tongue.gif
, as I prefer the stock 600 cable to the 650 cable, as the 650 cable is too warm, as a result it makes the HD600's sound more like 650s which to me is a bad thing :X

I definitely like the less warm sound since i'm still a gradofan, which isn't too warm.. more like in your face midrange right in front of you. But it's good to explore other headphones.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #109 of 672
Quote:

To my dismay, the local hi-fi shop is selling this baby for a whopping 600 dollars (Canadian eh..). Hopefully i can find some used pairs that are half this price.

You're not talking about Creative Audio, are you? I was planning to visit them on Thursday to audition the HD600's and was hoping that the price would at least be reasonable. I guess not
frown.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #110 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnuZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not talking about Creative Audio, are you? I was planning to visit them on Thursday to audition the HD600's and was hoping that the price would at least be reasonable. I guess not
frown.gif

Holy moly, yet another winnipeg head-fier! what headphones do you have? but yes it was creative audio... man they got some really over the end priced headphones.. I don't know any other stores that sell high end headphones.

i think i'm going to bite on the hd580's with the cardas cable... 220 plus shipping.. worth it?

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #111 of 672
Just got equinox cables for my hd600s a few hours ago. Wow, these are great. They add midrange "CRUNCH" and detail and bass tightness. Notes are not as subdued as the stock cable, they now hit with more substance. I liked the hd600s with the stock cables but these make my hd600s more like high end speakers. Its the weight to notes that I feel it improves most

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #112 of 672
Quote:

i think i'm going to bite on the hd580's with the cardas cable... 220 plus shipping.. worth it?

sounds like a great deal to me.

Jul 22, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #113 of 672
Quote:

Holy moly, yet another winnipeg head-fier! what headphones do you have? but yes it was creative audio... man they got some really over the end priced headphones.. I don't know any other stores that sell high end headphones.

I'd confirm that they're the "new" version of the HD580s. That would be a great buy, either way... but... you may not be as pleased with their sound, if they are the "old" version. The "new" version is more "Gradoesque" than the old version, which is a bit more "mellow and laid back."

Jul 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #114 of 672
I though the 580's have been out of production for a year or so, so that means that if there is indeed a "new" version of the HD580's it took 1-2 years to find out that there are different versions, since this whole new/old phenomenon has risen in the past month or so?

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #115 of 672
for my newly acquired hd600, i built a cable with cardas connectors and spc wires last night.
what an amazing pair of cans!! i was hearing a whole another level of highs and trebles with tighter bass. i used the same cable for hd650 before and the improvement over the stock cable was not as big as this one.
got some extra pairs of connectors, and i'm gonna build another cable with pure silver wires to see how the sound changes. =D
it's now time for my ms2i to take a break for a while.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #116 of 672
I am not a believer in a "new" HD580/600/650 sound. I think it is cosmetic, until I hear it for myself.

I called Sennheiser and asked them if there was a difference in sound between the dark screen and white screen HD600, pretending that I had both and that the white screen version sounded better. They said there is no difference and offered to open a service ticket on the old ones if I thought something was wrong with them. Now why would they do that if they knew the white screen version is a minor upgrade, and that there likely was nothing wrong with the old version?

Jul 22, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #117 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not a believer in a "new" HD580/600/650 sound. I think it is cosmetic, until I hear it for myself.

I called Sennheiser and asked them if there was a difference in sound between the dark screen and white screen HD600, pretending that I had both and that the white screen version sounded better. They said there is no difference and offered to open a service ticket on the old ones if I thought something was wrong with them. Now why would they do that if they knew the white screen version is a minor upgrade, and that there likely was nothing wrong with the old version?

Well then... get yourself some "new" and "old" versions of the phones and prove it to yourself.

I've heard them all, and I can assure you - there is a huge difference!

Or... just go on believing there's no difference - makes no difference to the rest of us.

Several of us have fully explained why Sennheiser would not acknowledge their improvements.

Now "let it go and move on."

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #118 of 672
I have the "new" version HD600 with grey Cardas cable and they sound fantastic. In fact, I'm building the Millet Starving Student Hybrid Amp to push them to their full potential.

I hope to properly amp my AKG K340, since the mids/vocals on those are just sublime. But they are fussy and I don't really need two amps, or two sets of headphones...yet.

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #119 of 672
Listening to these now and i think it'll be REAL hard to dethrone these as my main cans.

Although its mids arent as sweet as the sa6, and it lacks just a final bit of bass punch, everything just blends with these cans, and everything just sounds natural, lively, but never harsh. And they're so versatile. I think they sound their best with jazz but rock is more than acceptable on these too, and everything in between is good or better.

Aug 4, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #120 of 672
HD600 owner signing in. The really are versatile, a true allrounder. The HD650 didn't work for me, so I had nearly excluded the Sennheiser brand, but I feel very lucky to have tried the HD600. I use the stock cable and have the oldest version (if there is anything to the new/old) but feel no need to upgrade to the "new" or change cable, as they are so good already.

With the price I paid for them used I feel that they are a really great bang for the buck headphone.

I can listen to every genre with these and they never dissapoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back