The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #541 of 672
  Since this is an appreciation thread I just have to share how much I'm LOVING my newly purchased HD600's. .. ... ...

Me too.

After a week, during which I noticed some symptoms like eyes closing to the internet and 'phones staying on the ears longer, but also felt that I was missing something, for the first time I put the ATs (AD900) back on my head, and was amazed at how thin they sounded.

A fair AB is almost impossible because of the large difference in levels, and I would have been using the ifi iCAN XBass and 3D settings, along with some EQ on the PC to compensate (a bit) for known hearing deficiency.

For the comparison I set the iCAN flat and took the EQ software out of the chain. And, comparisons finished, guess which 'phones I'm still listening to, flat, no EQ, a couple of hours later? No prizes!

So what was I missing? Some vocal clarity and high end "air" on the ATs. Also, the soundstage is less right-inside-the-head with the ATs. Their light-weight wing-supported comfort is unbeatable --- and, of very little importance, they probably look groovier.

The HD600s don't need wings: the music is lifting me out of my seat. The musical richness is much more (apart from the headphone in-the-head effect) is much more like listening to speakers, and pretty good speakers too.  In fact, I'm now dissatisfied with the speakers on my desk. But that's ok as, these days, I do more 'phones listening.

The AT's opened my eyes (err... ears) to the pleasure of headphone listening, but the AD600s are in a different league.

(ha ha... welcome to the big leagues :wink: )

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #542 of 672

I agree with this. The bass can sometimes sound loose. I though it was psychological since most head-fiers here say it lacks "sub bass" but the bass has enough "thump" and "punch" for most music (sometimes has too much) imo. It seems to sound absolutely perfect with artists like Norah Jones though,..

[size=x-small]I haven't heard a better headphone for jazz vocals (especially, but not limited to females) than the HD600. I was blown away by the sound of Roberta Flack on these things, she sounded incredible. [/size]

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #543 of 672
If you guys want a treat (female vocals) especially with the HD600 - try these guys:
http://thepolishambassador.bandcamp.com/album/hers-was-as-thunder

It's a name your price deal (available in FLAC too).  If you like them, suggest paying them something even if it's just a few bucks.  Ayla Nereo's voice is intoxicating.  Favourite track for me is "Dawn To Flight", but the whole album is pretty incredible.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #544 of 672
  Just got mine about 6 weeks ago. I like 'em a lot. Good fit and good sound. The relatively forward upper mids (I'm coming from the DT990s) threw me at first. 

How do you find the treble as compared to 990? I've got 990 Pro and can't stand its harsh highs. Do you think that problem will be gone completely if I make the same switch? I am a little afraid the 600 may not be warm enough if I am that sensitive to highs. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #545 of 672
  If you guys want a treat (female vocals) especially with the HD600 - try these guys:

It's a name your price deal (available in FLAC too).  If you like them, suggest paying them something even if it's just a few bucks.  Ayla Nereo's voice is intoxicating.  Favourite track for me is "Dawn To Flight", but the whole album is pretty incredible.

Brooko, I don't know if I told you yet, but I have a Senn Hesiser HD 580 [with White HD 600 Drivers n a 650 Cable] in bound! I'm going to be driving it with a schiit Vali for the ultimate in Warm Ogranic SennHesier goodness!

I'm excited to finally get a chance to hear these darn things 

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #546 of 672
You're in for a treat mate.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #547 of 672

I'm hoping so! I'm waiting though for my Schiit Vali to arrive, though I shall see how the HD 600[ish] sounds out of the SE of my NFB10ES2, Though I figured if I'm going to go HD 600 I'd better get a Hybrid Tube as well and get the FULL experince! [That and I want to shoot a proper video review of the Vali] 

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #548 of 672

I listened to this album last night on Spotify and really enjoyed it. I might buy a few tracks. Ayla's voice is beautiful. Reminds me a bit of Enya in tone. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #549 of 672
My pair of HD 598's sadly cut off on one side... and I can't use the warranty since there was an e-mail breach that deleted my Amazon receipt. Looks like I'm going for an upgrade and saving up for an HD 600!
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #550 of 672

... ehh I listened to them, 

wow super meh

These really need a tube, I wont really say anything definitive until I get a my Vali tommorow. [Kinda excited to get the Vali back] 

But... the Tone on them is nice! The 2D sense of space is good too, there's a decent amount of layering as well, though it doesn't do 3D very well... 

but yea... I'll be comparing these to my Walnut Cupped MS1i, I mean... just meh. I wonder if the DT 880 would sound this meh to my ears! 
 what I hear is a headphone with forward mids and a intimate presentation, and again It's not a bad sound. I think the HD 600 [ish] is going to sound best ouf of the Schiit Vali Fed by my NFB10ES2, as the Vali is only going to further it's sonic Color to an extreme, which I think at that extreme it would do well!

But I mean yea... not a bad headphone at all. I think it's 3D presentation is on par with the DT 880 [which was kinda flat ish] I'd need to really have a DT 880 with me to make a deffinitive call

Though I think the HD 600[ish] in my initial impressions just really lacks "bite" listening to metal the Guitars have a nice edge but no BITE to them... but they are pretty detailed, and despite a some what intimate sound stage do a good job of keeping a good sense of air and seperation. 

Yea, I think these are going to SHINE with the Schiit Vali, right now out of my Sub Par NFB10ES2 SE out they aren't really anything good or bad. if every headphone I owned like xPLODED, I could live with these. 

I do like how they kinda force female vocals forward [like the W1000X does] they sound sufficently nice with Epica. 

Truth be told, they are like the Love Child of my W1000X and DT 880, the same presentation as the W1000X  but with a touch more sound stage width [less depth] and it's not as fast as the W1000X Though, but the tone of each is simmilar, intimate, with forward mids and a slight mid bass hump to it

Hmm but the more I listen and compare to the W1000X the more I start to hear the "veil" the some what lack of some of the finer micro details, not so much a "lack" but it places it's emphasis else where... hmm not bad though. I can see how it would compliment the DT 880 nicely 

And by else where I think that I'm refering to it's sort of not good 3D image... things don't sound smushed but they don't really envelope you... they are more front n center and it is kinda lack back... ish ehh

again not a bad headphone, I won't be comparing it to the HE 4... as there's really nothing to compare :/ the HD 600[ish] compares nicely to my Modded Closed backs and my Grados

How ever it's not on level with the HE 4 balanced out of the NFB10ES2, like it's just not, just 100% not even there. The HE 4 has more body, more bite, better Sound Stage, linear bass, it's a schiit ton faster and more detailed. There is really nothing the HD 600 [ish] has over it... like at all 

Ofc in the realm of reality to get the BEST out of the HE 4 you might need to drop a good bit of cash on it [I put about $750 ish into mine last year] An you really need a powerful Amp for them, so  I don't think you can Compare the HE 4 to the HD 600 as they are different animals entirely.  

ANY who :3 tommorow, when my Vali Get's here I'll do a Proper review of the HD 600 and post it some where. on my blog most likely, in addition to hear and maybe I'll toss in a uTube video too. I'm looking forward to REALLY gettin that SMOOOOTH sound out of the HD 600, as I REALLY liked the Vali with my DT 880 and my W1000x [minus the noise] I think the Vali n HD 600 are going to b magical! [or I'm hoping] 

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #551 of 672
Try listening to them for a week - then go back to your other headphones

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #552 of 672
Try listening to them for a week - then go back to your other headphones

haha, I will when I get the Vali in

but I mean... that's going to b hard to do Brooko... I've spent literally a week away from my HE 4 [non stop LA D5k] and as soon as I put on the HE 4... wow I forget how much better it sounds than like everything I own :/ 

again, when the Vali get's here I'll spend more time with it before I put anything down in paper. My impressions of the LA D5k changed a smidge over the last few days 

but... it's going to be hard to put the HE 4 down... Brooko SO HARD q.q 

ehh back to the HD 600, yea I can hear that Veil now... everything else I own is more open... but again it's not as bad as people make it seem. I see great potential in the HD 600, give it about 2 songs and you don't even notice how "intimate" it is 

I'll end on this positive note, the HD 600 [considering the price] is impressive, I can see it's appeal, and it is suprising me with how detailed it is, despite the "veil" or some what forward mids n sound stage 

I might take Brooko up on that week. Though I will end on this note, the HD 600 has a sweet spot to it, Too loud it sounds BAD, to quite it sounds VERY bad. But at the right volumes it starts to sound very good, and I can see it's appeal on vocals 

I'm considering Feeding the HD 600 with my HM901 though for the review. Seeing as the HE 4 doesn't leave the house of the NFB10ES2, and my portables all sound more to my liking out of the HM 901 [with their wonky sound signitures] 

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #553 of 672
LMAO - so you're calling the HD600 "meh" because you're comparing to a top tier headphone with a far brighter signature. Like I said - leave your other cans alone for 7 days - otherwise you're not objectively comparing anything.

It would be like me A/Bing the HD600 with my T1 and declaring the Senn not up to scratch and veiled by comparison ....... :rolleyes:

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #554 of 672
Sorry - read your mail wrong.  You mentioned HE4, I thought you had an HE6.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #555 of 672
LMAO - so you're calling the HD600 "meh" because you're comparing to a top tier headphone with a far brighter signature. Like I said - leave your other cans alone for 7 days - otherwise you're not objectively comparing anything.

It would be like me A/Bing the HD600 with my T1 and declaring the Senn not up to scratch and veiled by comparison .......
rolleyes.gif

that's EXACTLY what I'm doing :3 

I mean the HD 600 is a legend, and as of right now it sells for the same price as the HE 4, stock vs Stock seeing as both cost about the same

In terms of sound, the HE 4 is a "dark" DT 880 in that it has more mid body and MUCH better Bass 

Both the HD 600 and HE 4  have a simmilar curve, the HD 600 at it's peak is roughly 8dbs above it's 2k Dip, the HE 4's entire Bass is about 10dbs above its 2k dip 
both headphones have a "forward" 3-4k range, how ever the biggest differance is that the HE 4 doesn't dip after that rather it hits it's peak at about 8-9k where as the HD 600 starts to roll off

Granted, that last Peak at 8-9k will make the HE 4 brighter n more aggressive than the HD 600 but the mids of each are simmilar with the HE 4 having a low mid emphasis where as the HD 600 has one on it's upper mids

My point is, in stock form Both cost the Same, both Scale [well] with balanced cables and higher end gear 

Now that said, I'm not writing off the HD 600 as "veiled" and not up to scratch just because they are different. While the "veil" is more of the shock of the change from a Peak at 8k to a Dip at 8k after a few minuete's the "veil" dissapates and you start to hear a lot of detail in the HD 600, in additon the HD 600 will play nicely with cheap Tube amps [the HE 4 not so much]

so I think each one stands on equal footing potential for a comparison, though they have different sound signitures so one for one crowd, another for another Crowd

Though here's the differance, the HD 600 can be had pretty cheaply used, which puts it in my book into a different price point. [Good luck finding a cheap used HE 4 <.<] as if you've got $400 bucks an you like warm headphones, get an HE 500 [again you need an amp for it same as the HD 600] 

SO ALL of that said, Apple for apples in terms of current Market Value in your in the market for a  New $400 headphone, skip over the HD 600 and get the HE 4, you'll need an amp for both of them and the Audio GD Amps at like $250 ish will drive teh HE 4 nicely

how ever on the flip side, if your looking to get a used headphone, skip the HE 4 [you won't find to many] and totally Get the HD 600 or DT 880 depending on your preferances. Both have their appeal, and despite my writing off the HD 600, I am enjoying it :3 It's doing really well with vocals! I know for a fact my DT 880 was never this good with Vocals [simply because I got the W1000X for it's Vocal n Rock goodness] I had to spend like $400 bucks to get the HE 4 and an amp to drive it to get good vocals out of that bright sound signiture

Schiit, I still wish the Vali was out when I got into tubes. I might have just kept my oDac, my Schiit Vali and just owned a DT 880 and HD 600, as I can see them being compliments 

Now Brooko you silly dog, the T1 MSRPs for like a Grand, though I'm flattered your comparing my HE 4 to ur T1 <3 

that and THESE posts are not objective, hell I'm not even volume matching. These are purely subjective, yea I'l going to be up a few more hours tonight and Tommorow I'll spend some time with my HD 600 on the Vali and Saturday I'll continue to do that till I've got a good feel for what I like about the HD 600, once I know what I like. I'll do the objective listens and pin point what I don't like 

and the only "objective" review there can be is a Freq Graph, as listening [even if you spend a week then go back] is still subjective. I don't need a week to get used to something. I need about 16 hours [with 7-8 sleeps in between] I've listened to an compared a LOT of gear in my days here  as short as they are, why my initial impression of the iPod VS HM 901 was spot on, ofc as I spent more time I picked up the finer details and closed the initial large gap that I had made, but my point here is I can spot differances pretty quick, what takes time for me is to organize what's different, into "positives" and "negatives" outside my preferances. Again, once I find what I like about a headphone, In that first 16 hours [ not including 8 hours of sleep, I'm talking 8 hours over two days ( which I average about 4 hours on days I work and any where from 10-12 on days I'm off an I'm off for two days])) 

After I've found the positives, wrapped my self up in them. THEN I go back n Compare. I did that with the LCD 2F and I can conclusively say it's technically better than my HE 4, toneally... I hated it :3 but detail wise and in terms of imaging it was a notch ahead [a small one, but a notch none the less] and I spent about 16 SOLID hours with just the LCD 2, then I spent like 3 days comparing the two  

and the Graph of the HD 600 is very true to how it sounds, I mentioned that it emphasis different details, and that is 100% the case it's peak is around the upper mids there for what stands out the most in terms of detail is the little sound in that area. Compared to the W1000x, the LA D5k my Senn Grado and my MS1i-W the HD 600 is just as detailed, how ever it "reveals" different details than the latter 4 do [well schiit the LA D5k doesn't reveal TO much with all it's bass anyways] 

SO all of that said, thank you for the Tips Brooko :D, don't forget I'm enjoying the HD 600 as we speak [and I do mean enjoying it] and I shall continue to do so, till late tommorow 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back