The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Sep 23, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 672

drarthurwells

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 1, 2005
Posts
2,604
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those cans are simply the best i've heard.No 650,no k701,no dt880 are even close.The only sound comparable is the Er4s.


The ER4S is most similar to the Sony SA5000 though the ER4S is not as good as the SA5000.

The HD600 with the stock HD650 cable is as good as any other HP with stock cable. However, they do have some glare to the tone and glaze over the soundstage, and tend to be lean (these faults attributable to the stock cables). Their good features compensate for these faults.

I rate the headphones this way - all with stock cables:

1. HD600 (best in a top system with a high resolution source and amp, but also can be good in some modest systems).

2. AKG K701 (best in many modest systems where smoothness is needed).

3. SA5000 (best with a top source and amp - can reveal warts in modest systems)

4. HD650 (best in many modest systems where smoothness is needed - better than the HD600 in many modest sytems).


Some people will prefer any one of these over the others - much depends on the system and personal tastes.

The HD600 with Cardas cable has great 3-D imaging, with great inner detail and instrument separation in congested passages, and great resolution of tones with nuances in texture. and is the most tranparent and realistic headphone I have ever experienced (with the Rega Saturn and Bada 12 amp with one EH Gold and two Chinese Shuguang 6SN7 tubes). It puts the HD600 with stock HD650 or HD600 cables to shame - in a top high resolution system, where you can hear the difference.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #19 of 672

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the oldest and most versatile building materials on earth is marble. The 600s may not be real marble but the finish is close enough to be beautiful to me. I like the 650s as well but the 600s are so distinctive!


'Distinctive' is the word.

Marble may be an old and versatile building material, but I don't think Sennheiser are Roman? You can have a tartan pattern on your trousers, doesn't mean its anything to do with the tartan on kilts in Scotland.

Don't try to argue fact. If a TV is orange with fluroescent pink polka-dots, it'll be attractive to less people than if it was plain black.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 12:26 PM Post #21 of 672

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,199
Likes
40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Distinctive' is the word.

Marble may be an old and versatile building material, but I don't think Sennheiser are Roman? You can have a tartan pattern on your trousers, doesn't mean its anything to do with the tartan on kilts in Scotland.

Don't try to argue fact. If a TV is orange with fluroescent pink polka-dots, it'll be attractive to less people than if it was plain black.




What are you talking about?
confused.gif


Hellenback made a statement he liked the marble look of the 600 .... he wasnt arguing or claiming anything.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #22 of 672

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
13
I wasn't saying he argued, just that for anyone to argue fact is silly.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #23 of 672

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
8,199
Likes
40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't saying he argued, just that for anyone to argue fact is silly.



What fact are you talking about? He expressed an opinion.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 672

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
13
I realise that.

He just got in the way. Loads of people love the marbling of the 600s, but are shocked some hate it.

It s a universal fact in life, more people will prefer a plain block of colour than dense patternation.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #25 of 672

d-cee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Posts
2,753
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I realise that.

He just got in the way. Loads of people love the marbling of the 600s, but are shocked some hate it.

It s a universal fact in life, more people will prefer a plain block of colour than dense patternation.



actually i dunno about that one

depends what time period you're in
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #26 of 672

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually i dunno about that one

depends what time period you're in




What time period?

Its not fashion. Tell me when most people have preferred Rainbow wallpaper over a plain white one? The stuff in rolls.
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #27 of 672

d-cee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 14, 2006
Posts
2,753
Likes
13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What time period?

Its not fashion. Tell me when most people have preferred Rainbow wallpaper over a plain white one? The stuff in rolls.



it is though

appliances in the 80s compared to now are vastly different

just about everything has a fashion, and people prefer what's in

i don't know about wallpaper, but to use some of your examples, in TVs/VCRs

for a while there shiny knobs and large dials and colourful displays were all the rage, these days what you say is true and minimalism is more preferred, but it wasn't always the case
 
Sep 23, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #28 of 672

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Posts
3,611
Likes
13
D'oh, thats the point. Its not time orientated.

Think as a much broader generalisation. Grab any large group of people from any time and the majority will prefer something plain.
Its just much less likely to offend anyone.
 
Sep 24, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #29 of 672

Chrysoberyl

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Posts
359
Likes
10
Well,most people don't care about the looks of headphones as long as they do what they are supposed to do...and the hd600 pass the test with flying colors! Like the hd580 now,they'll soon become the craziest bargain in audio when the new Senn flagship appears.Or even before,they're really not that expensive now.I'll get one soon and say goodbye to head-fi for good! (i know,i know...)
 
Jun 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #30 of 672

windrider

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Posts
175
Likes
0
I was looking for an appreciation thread for the hd600 and could only find this old thread. Was thinking whether to start a new one but i decided to post here instead. I think they need more love in the form of an appreciation thread compared to the 595s and 650s which have huge threads going on! i guess everyone's too busy listening to them to post about them
biggrin.gif


Its just like what my sig says: even out of a "lowly" zero dac/amp, they sound so good i'm losing sleep over them simply cos i cant bring myself to take em off my head!

They are exactly what i was hoping for; a less thin and harsh sounding dt880, with abit more body and abit more bass, as well as having a slightly more upfront and slightly sweeter sounding midrange from its more upfront presentation. In fact i would have bought them over the dt880s in the first place if not for the better bundled package available for the dt880s at the time (as well as the cheaper price), but now i regret not going straight for these!

I don't think any other headphones are going to dethrone them anytime soon unless i find an incredible deal for a pair ad2000s somehow (damn those cans are expensive!), i realize i'm a sucker for midrange sweetness even if its slightly artificial.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top