The Sennheiser HD-600 thread
Jun 16, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #46 of 672
@nick:
In my opinion - the HD600 play Rock well and considerably better than HD650s.
Those, the HD650s, have too dominant bass and taken back highs for me to really play Rock as it is meant to.
Well, at least this goes for "dirty Rock", i'd suppose. Rock-Ballads go quite well with both of the HDs, but when it comes to aggressive heights and deep bassdrums, the tighter, less relaxed HD600 is my personal choice between them both.
smily_headphones1.gif

@topic:
I agree with most of the comments and find it quite nice (and well deserved for this can) to have such an appreciation-thread. To me the HD600 are very neutral, honest and not-euphemising headphones. They do sound decent and by far less "forcing" than many other headphones I've tried so far.

Only one point of critique still comes to my mind - when it comes to pieces where _many_ instruments play the bass tends to get out of focus a bit and the over-all-detailpresentation weakens.
At least that is the impression that I got so far.
Maybe it will change a bit with a new amp (I think of trying both Corda Cantate as well as a LakePeople G99/2, first one to underline the typical Sennheisersound, second one to counter it
tongue.gif
) but I don't think it will be a change between to worlds.

To put a long story short:
I really do like my HD600! I have to admit that it took some time, but now on every single occasion it gets to play it cheers me up with its dark, relaxed and still involving sound!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #47 of 672
This appreciation thread is so small, why?

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #49 of 672
The HD600 does seem to be gaining momentum again, which is great. It is, to my ears at least, the quintessential starter audiophile headphone, and the standard against which all dynamics should be compared.

I have no idea how so many other companies get away with selling their overpriced rubbish and hyping it up as hi-fi when the HD600 has been doing it right, and just plain better, for years.

The HD650 is only better IMO in a truly stellar, balanced rig. It scales better and has more top-end potential. But, it needs a beefy balanced amp to reign in its bass and wake up its dynamic range and slow impulse response. The HD600 doesn't have these problems to begin with, so it can cope with a much wider variety of systems.

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #50 of 672
I love my HD600 + Cardas combination.

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #52 of 672
The "new" HD580/600s with the right set up (see my signature)... just get... better and better - as good as any of my other phones (which are all outstanding), or better. Hard to believe... actually.

I think I'm actually "morphing" into... a SennFan2!

They "raawk dewd"... "schweeet" - to put it in that "god-awful, mindless, MTV vernacular."

Jun 27, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #53 of 672
Gradofan, how do you compare the HD580s (modded) over the Denon D5000s?

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #54 of 672
One more happy sennheiser HD-600 owner. I have been very unhappy with my grado sr-80 for long time and finally bought these new phones. Grados really sound like grap becouse they have coloration wich make old (also many new) records sound so harsh.
I run these with Dual CS-505-4 to Pioneer stereo amplifier from early 90s and sound is perfect, well almost, theres little hiss what I would like get rid off but otherwise incredible amount of detail and cristal clear whitout being bright, I dont understand all the talk about blackness or veil. Just joy to listen.

DSC_0157.jpg

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #55 of 672
I have the older HD580 version, which sounds too sibilant in my opinion.
Does the HD600 a better job at handling sibilance?
Or are they the same in this matter.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM Post #56 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan, how do you compare the HD580s (modded) over the Denon D5000s?

Well... the D5000s are certainly great with the right source and amp - low impedance amp like the X-CANv8 - maybe the best I've heard... maybe.

But... the HD580/600s with the DV332, and any of my sources may be virtually as good, and better in some respects (e.g. clarity of bass and mids, etc.).

I can tell you that with the DV332... the HD580/600s are much better, than the D5000s, and the RS-1s better yet - though the RS-1s sound very similar to the HD580/600s with my set up.

So... unless you're willing to make the investment in an amp that matches the low impedance requirements of the D5000s - you're much better off to stick with the HD580/600s.

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #57 of 672
Have to say i really like these Phones . Great sound Top to Bottom . Oh did I say they Sound Great . I listen at home with my RS Predator using the USB DAC to Wave & Flac files . I have the 18 gage Jena Labs Cryo Cable . Did I say these HD600s SOUND GREAT . Very Happy.......

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #59 of 672
^ I would say from reading a lot of the older posts that the Equinox was probably mentioned more than any other cable - like the Zu with the HD650 is the most popular combo.

I haven't heard the Equinox but bought the Cardas and never looked for anything else. It opens up the midrange and removes some of the veil.

~~~~~~~~~~

Does anyone use the HD600 with the Melos SHA-1 amp? What are your thoughts. I've heard it but wonder what others think

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #60 of 672
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
has anyone heard hd600 driven by pico?
if so, any impressions?

you might want to pm Covenant as he says the pico drives them really well.

I got my HD600s few days ago, only 15 minutes have been put into them though, I did hear them at the Sydney meet for another 10 minutes or so :] And boy are they good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back