The search continues
Dec 28, 2012 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

draacor

New Head-Fier
Ok last time I left off i returned the Grado SR80i because of comfort and sound leakage.  I returned the ATHM50s because of comfort.  Now I am returning the K550 because of fit.  I love the sound of these cans but i cant get them to fit snug on my head for the life of me.  I even tried bending the headband to no avail.  So back they go but i think after every headphone i get im getting closer and closer to what I really want.  Thank god for Amazon's return policy and boo on no hifi shops in my town.

So here is my revised checklist for what i want.

1.  Comfort - This is probably most important mainly because i know that the sound i get for the types of cans i am looking at are going to be great for me.  I prefer over the ear.  Something i can wear for hours because when I am at work i can be at the computer for 8 hours at a time.  I dont want something that will make my heard hurt or ears sweat.

2. I'm not into the music industry but i do love good sounding equipment.  I want something with bass but not overly so.  I listen to a huge array of music, basically everything but the majority of my collection is movie scores.  However I do love dave matthews band, and even some country music here and there.  And i do listen to the occasional eminem.  I love techno as well like amon tobin and daft punk, and some infected mushroom.

3.  Travel - I think i need something that can either come with a case or fit in one.  I would liek to take these to work and listen to them there as well as home.

4.  Has to be closed back, I cant get open cans.

5.  Can be ran great without an amp.  I realy dont want to lug around another piece of equipment especially to and from work.  Please i want it to sound great with no amp.  Sure I know an amp will add to it but i dont want it to be a requirement.

6.  Price no more than 250 but i may be able to swing 300, maybe its got to be worth it though.

Some headphones  I am now looking at are

Senheisser Momentum
DT770 Pro 80ohms

Please help! :) Everyone has been extremely helpful in me finding out the best headphones I can get for my needs so far.  Hopefully i will be happy with a pair. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Sucks to hear about the K550. I had a similar experience when I tried them out. From what I've read the dt770 / 80 don't run so well without an amp, boomy bass that muddies up the spectrum. The dt770 / 32 limited edition however is a different story. Personally, my friend and I weren't so impressed with the Momentums, seems to be a lot of hype surrounding them. Look into the Sony MDR-1r also, top in class for comfort with a warm-ish sound sig.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 7
Aren't the Momentum on-ear as well? :xf_eek:

Anywho, from the land of obobs making a suggestion, you get:

- Kenwood KH-K1000
- Audio-Technica ATH-A900X
- Bose AE2
- Creative Aurvana Live!

In descending order of price. In terms of what I'd pick from that list based on the above criteria - the Bose AE2. They're the most comfortable closed headphones ever made (hands down, except maybe against the original AE1), they have a smooth and laid-back sound (so they're not fatiguing and will handle all genres well), and a good soundstage that will handle larger orchestrations but not destroy intimate acoustic sets. They also run from nearly anything. They aren't perfect, but they check off a lot of boxes, and will certainly hit that "wear for 8 hours" thing. They come with a pouch, but the hard-case that the ANC headphones use will more or less fit them (you can modify the interior to make it a better fit) - that case is ~$30.

The Kenwood would be my next pick, but they're over-budget, over-sized, and lack the travel case (and who knows what they would fit into - I think they're even too big for the beyer cases), but are an improvement in sound-quality.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 7
among the momentum and the DT770 i would say the DT770 would do you better except in terms of portability

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 7
Heya,

Based on what you're looking for and looking at, the Beyer Custom One Pro (COP) would be a good choice, and well under budget, no amp needed either. Otherwise, same great qualities of the DT770, but in a more portable friendly package, with better accessories (detachable shorter cable, choice on port vent setting for neutrality and bass, and some custom style options).

Very best,

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 7
they have very prominent treble, and has very highly detailed in its sound,crisp mids, soundstage is decent for a closed back, its just that ie has really little bass in comparison to the treble and mids. so if you don't mind it being very bright and having not much bass you should enjoy the rest of the headphone's positive features

Users who are viewing this thread

Back