The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 20, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #496 of 1,909
Thanks for the quick response, Jaywillin (and I dig your avatar).  I was saving up for the Asgard 2 for the powered monitor volume control feature, but now I foresee a purchase of the Magni Uber in my near future.

Dec 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #497 of 1,909
  Thanks for the quick response, Jaywillin (and I dig your avatar).  I was saving up for the Asgard 2 for the powered monitor volume control feature, but now I foresee a purchase of the Magni Uber in my near future.

you're welcome, 
i've been "grateful" since about '81-'82, it's been a long strange trip ! lol

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #500 of 1,909
  What's the point of the getting the uber models. I have an HD600 and will be running out of my laptop/desktop.

According to Schiit customer service, the uber Magni has slightly better performace (and sound) than the base Magni 2. The uber Modi has more inputs/outputs, but doesn't improve sound. However, the Modi 2 and Modi 2 U come with different exterioer finishes. Most people get both ubers so that their stack matches; if you get the Magni uber and the Modi base, their finishes will not be the same.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #501 of 1,909
I see! Thanks for the responses. From what I hear, you need both the magni and modi to hear an improvement in sound? Total noob since i'm new to this amp/dac stuff but what about the vali vs. the magni for hd600? Also what about the loki or something?

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #502 of 1,909
I see! Thanks for the responses. From what I hear, you need both the magni and modi to hear an improvement in sound? Total noob since i'm new to this amp/dac stuff but what about the vali vs. the magni for hd600? Also what about the loki or something?
As far as I know, the only difference between Modi's 1 and 2 is the switch, which allows drivers to bump up the USB performance to 24/192 (without dirvers, both are plug-n-play via USB up to 24/96). The Uber Modi might sound a bit better via USB because it is AC powered, but I wouldn't try to sell one based on that. The Uber models biggest appeal is having multiple inputs, while all other Modi's are restricted to USB OR optical.

As for Magni vs. Vali, Vali has tubes, and HD600 owners tend to prefer tube amps. That being said, I still like my Magni with my 600's. Vali would be a good choice if you wanted a taste of tubes without spending $350 for Valhalla (a "real" tube amp), but Magni might be the only amp you ever need, and it can power just about anything.

Lastly, skip Loki. Unless you know what DSD is...AND you are interested in DSD...AND you already have music in the format.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #503 of 1,909
As far as I know, the only difference between Modi's 1 and 2 is the switch, which allows drivers to bump up the USB performance to 24/192 (without dirvers, both are plug-n-play via USB up to 24/96). The Uber Modi might sound a bit better via USB because it is AC powered, but I wouldn't try to sell one based on that. The Uber models biggest appeal is having multiple inputs, while all other Modi's are restricted to USB OR optical.

As for Magni vs. Vali, Vali has tubes, and HD600 owners tend to prefer tube amps. That being said, I still like my Magni with my 600's. Vali would be a good choice if you wanted a taste of tubes without spending $350 for Valhalla (a "real" tube amp), but Magni might be the only amp you ever need, and it can power just about anything.

Lastly, skip Loki. Unless you know what DSD is...AND you are interested in DSD...AND you already have music in the format.

Thanks for the really thorough responses! This is really helpful. What are tube amps and how is it different from a Magni? Is it more customizable? I'm looking to really just spend the 300 bucks and never have to upgrade again haha

In terms of the outputs, how does everything tie together? The amp goes into the wall and so does the DAC? then there's an input from my laptop to the amp? and then there's another cable from the amp to the DAC and then my headphones go in the DAC?

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #504 of 1,909
Quotes for the curious:

So what’s the difference between Magni 2 and Magni 2 Uber?
Lots of things. Let’s break it down:

Preamp Outputs: Uber has them, standard doesn’t.
Gain Stage: Uber has a complementary-input VAS, standard doesn’t.
Power Supply: Uber has 3x the transformer (24VA vs 8VA) and 1.6x the filter capacitance (6,400 vs 4,000uF), as well as more sophisticated regulators (programmable vs fixed) and a higher rail voltage (+/-16V vs +/-15V)
Chassis: Uber gets an aluminum top cover and solid aluminum milled knob, standard is painted steel and an aluminum-covered plastic knob.

And the difference between Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber?
Lots. Let’s break it down:

Inputs: Modi 2 only has USB, Modi 2 Uber has USB, optical, and coax.
Control: Modi 2 has no controls, Modi 2 Uber has an input selection switch.
Power Supply: Modi 2 is USB powered, Modi 2 Uber has a linear power supply and wall-wart.
Chassis: Modi 2 has a painted steel chassis, while Modi 2 Uber has an aluminum top and pushbutton (pinched off the Bifrost, natch!)

Modi 2 Uber also has "a more sophisticated analog section"...whatever that means.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #505 of 1,909
Tubes color the sound more than an amp like the Magni. The magni plugs into an electrical outlit and you plug your headphone into the amp. The dac connects to the amp via RCA and either connects via USB for power or to the wall if you get the Uber version (usually the usb will be used in either case for data transfer)

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #506 of 1,909
In terms of the outputs, how does everything tie together? The amp goes into the wall and so does the DAC? then there's an input from my laptop to the amp? and then there's another cable from the amp to the DAC and then my headphones go in the DAC?

All of them are plugged into the wall, except for the Modi 2 (standard version), which is USB powered.

The usual way of connecting these is thus: computer > USB cable > DAC > two RCA cables > amp > headphone cable > headphones

Dec 20, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #507 of 1,909
  .. What are tube amps and how is it different from a Magni? Is it more customizable? I'm looking to really just spend the 300 bucks and never have to upgrade again haha

Tube amps (like the Valhalla 2) use vacuum tubes to amplify the signal.  Solid-state amps (like the Modi) use transistors to amplify.  Hybrid amps (like the Vali) use a combination of solid-state and tubes.
Tube amps are customizable by swapping out their tubes with other brands of the same type of tube.  (Most hybrid amps are not designed to tube swap; I think a few are, but not the Vali).
You'll use the HD600?  They are extra good on the Vali or Valhalla, IMO.  Magni still good too.

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #508 of 1,909
  Tube amps (like the Valhalla 2) use vacuum tubes to amplify the signal.  Solid-state amps (like the Modi) use transistors to amplify.  Hybrid amps (like the Vali) use a combination of solid-state and tubes.
Tube amps are customizable by swapping out their tubes with other brands of the same type of tube.  (Most hybrid amps are not designed to tube swap; I think a few are, but not the Vali).
You'll use the HD600?  They are extra good on the Vali or Valhalla, IMO.  Magni still good too.

Cool! If the Vali is not customizable, I think I may lean towards the Magni Uber, just because it does seem to be better. If I were to use another headphone, would the Vali not be as good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back