The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 14, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #121 of 1,909
The beauty of knowing a new product is "designed AND priced" accurately, is that it makes customers who don't "need" Product X- want product X.

do I need a modi 2 Uber + magni 2 Uber for work desk, to replace what I already own?  
no.

but am I repeatedly looking at the web specs, budget friendly pricing and saying -
why NOT get this dynamic duo?  it's flexible, affordable, small, probably awesome and will handle everything except the DSD-sink."

kudos to Jason, Mike and Schiit team on this rollout.
(still not keen on the massive gain of Fulla for IEMs, but that's for another thread.)

Dec 14, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #123 of 1,909

Why buy a Corvette? , you can buy the Camaro for 1/2 the price and both are blindingly Fast! 

Someone will do a comparison review and we'll discover an answer if one exists.  

Maybe Baldr will step-in here and try to explain things.

Maybe there won't be a Bifrost in a couple of weeks when they sell-thru their Stock! 

Or, just buy both and find out.  

Write a review to inform the world, become our Hero!

Tony in Michigan

Hopefully nobody will attempt a double-blind test...that could result in an accident. 

wink.gif

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #124 of 1,909
Wonder how well a Modi 2 + Vali combo works with a HD700...

Dec 14, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #125 of 1,909
Dec 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #126 of 1,909

Hello Mr.Currawong,
Are you thinking of a Car Accident?,  that result would be a good result!, we would welcome the replacement Car purchases. 
        or 
Are you concerned about some other type of accident?, as in an accidental purchase of an electronic device? 
Oh, by the way, how can you get along in Japan, are you able to speak with the locals?, I am under the impression that only 10 people in Japan are English Speakers.  
Perhaps you are part of the Occupation Forces dating back to the end of WW11.  
There is some evidence supporting the theory that the TEAC Esoteric Line of electronics contains a Super DAC, are you allowed access to Japan's Audio Products? 
I once represented JVC here in the States and felt they did a good job of making useful home audio, a bit complex but reliable . 
I like the Japanese people but they are overly polite.  I once saw a Japanese tree surgeon crew take down a large tree, with hand saws, it was nearly a ceremony.  An American crew would blast thru the same task with Stihl Chain Saws blaring.  Therein is the difference in our cultures.  
The Japanese poduct Packaging is beautiful and excessive to extreme levels.  
These Japanese nearly wiped out our domestic car industry but we finally learned and now we are able to compete or we at least feel we are competitive.  

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #128 of 1,909

Mr.shortcuttomonct, 

This is a clumsy way to do a model change, they should've sold thru, announced a revision and proceeded.  
Now, everyone that just bought is totally pissed at being blindsided and worse yet : disappointed with management!
Product Changeovers must take place! This is a Design & Manufacturing Reality! 
How it's done is Exxxtreeeeaaaamly Critical , everyone from the Dealer Network thru to the Customer Base need to understand what the new product will be and why the change was necessary.  Timing for the Change is also critical!  
In defense of Schiit; I will say that the little M&Ms are a delightful little system, there is nothing at all wrong with them, you should be a satisfied owner, there is simply no earthy reason for you, as an owner, to be dissatisfied!  
You feeling that you "JUST GOT SCREWED" is the worst possible outcome from all this.  
It took General Motors decades to recover from the perceived screwing it gave it's loyal customer base, it nearly died in the process.
The Schiit Team are Intelligent, they'll figure out something.  
I hope they take good care of you.

Tony in Michigan 

Dec 14, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #129 of 1,909
My Shiite story

Owned Modi Optical since August

30.11.14 Ordered Modi USB,SYS and Wyrd

3.12.14 RECEIVED order (surprised how fast order shipped/received in UK)

12.12.14 Schiit announce Modi 2/ Uber etc

Now i realise why order was shipped so fast.
To say I'm a little pissed off and this leaves a bad taste in the mouth is an understatement.
Had i have known what was due to be released 12.12 i would have waited and ordered Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber
Have emailed request to cancel Fulla order and doubt i will be a Schiit customer again in the future, lost all my faith and trust in the company.
Im sure i will get attatcked for this post , but put yourselves in my position, how happy would you be?

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #130 of 1,909
  My ***** story

Owned Modi Optical since August

30.11.14 Ordered Modi USB,SYS and Wyrd

3.12.14 RECEIVED order (surprised how fast order shipped/received in UK)

12.12.14 Schiit announce Modi 2/ Uber etc

Now i realise why order was shipped so fast.
To say I'm a little pissed off and this leaves a bad taste in the mouth is an understatement.
Had i have known what was due to be released 12.12 i would have waited and ordered Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber
Have emailed request to cancel Fulla order and doubt i will be a Schiit customer again in the future, lost all my trust in the company.
Im sure i will get attatcked for this post , but put yourselves in my position, how happy would you be?

You're within their trial return time period (15 days) on your order. Perhaps message them and see what they can do for you vis-a-vis a return and repurchase on the new product? Being angry is fine, but *generally* it's a good idea to see what their staff will do for you to rectify your grievance before you get too angry. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #131 of 1,909
Yes, anyone who purchased within 15 days of the announcement should contact us before they flip their lid. I would have thought that would be obvious, sorry that it wasn't.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 14, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #132 of 1,909
  Yes, anyone who purchased within 15 days of the announcement should contact us before they flip their lid. I would have thought that would be obvious, sorry that it wasn't.

jason, i placed my order on amazon (12/1), not directly from you, is that a problem ?

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #133 of 1,909
A few (very) early sonic impressions of Magni2U vs. Magni1:

- The soundstage is slightly wider and its imaging is more finely delineated

- The bass is slightly less prominent

- The most notable difference so far (it's still burning in) is that it is a noticeably much smoother sounding amp than the Magni1.
   If I could use only one word to describe it's overall sonic signature, it would be "creamy".
   This can be either a good thing or bad thing, though. If your headphones are already on the 'smooth and silky' side (HD650),
   the Magni2U might make them sound a little too smooth.  However, if your headphones are on the brighter and sharper side of neutral (HD700, HD800),
   and you want an affordable, compact, good looking and great sounding SS amp that will nicely balance them out while still being able to drive them with plenty of power,
   the Magni2U would be a match made in heaven.

It still has a ways to go before I can make a final verdict, but so far the Magni2U is sounding really good.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #134 of 1,909
  A few (very) early sonic impressions of Magni2U vs. Magni1:

- The soundstage is slightly wider and its imaging is more finely delineated

- The bass is slightly less prominent

- The most notable difference so far (it's still burning in) is that it is a noticeably much smoother sounding amp than the Magni1.
   If I could use only one word to describe it's overall sonic signature, it would be "creamy".
   This can be either a good thing or bad thing, though. If your headphones are already on the 'smooth and silky' side (HD650),
   the Magni2U might make them sound a little too smooth.  However, if your headphones are on the brighter and sharper side of neutral (HD700, HD800),
   and you want an affordable, compact, nice looking and great sounding SS amp that will nicely balance them out while still being able to drive them with plenty of power,
   the Magni2U would be a match made in heaven.

It still has a ways to go before I can make a final verdict, but so far the Magni2U is sounding really good.

Thanks for the review!  I’m thinking of getting the Magni2 /Modi2 Uber combo for my laptop.  So the Magni 2U sounds “creamy” ?  I’m really looking for a clean sounding solid state amplifier and DAC, without any kind of obvious sound signature...  For fun I might dabble with tubes at some point, but right now I’m looking for a neutral sounding compact system...

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #135 of 1,909
  Thanks for the review!  I’m thinking of getting the Magni2 /Modi2 Uber combo for my laptop.  So the Magni 2U sounds “creamy” ?  I’m really looking for a clean sounding solid state amplifier and DAC, without any kind of obvious sound signature...  For fun I might dabble with tubes at some point, but right now I’m looking for a neutral sounding compact system...

I wouldn't read too much in to the adjectives people use. Someone else might have used smooth or liquid. Doesn't mean it's not neutral.

And, remember the 15 day return policy. You can order it, listen to it and if it's not to your liking, you can return for a refund. 

What's to lose? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back