The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #91 of 1,909
Hi sorry. I am a noob and this is the first time i saw this schiit. Question. Which product is good ? And what does it pair well with? Like what daps? And what iem or headphone to pair with? Thanks!!!:)

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #92 of 1,909
My understanding is that if you're using TOSLINK inferface for optical, it is bandwidth limited to 96KHz. This limitation is from the original Toshiba specification for this interface for optical cables. The port on the back of Modi 2 is a TOSLINK jack. 

Here is a link to this here on HeadFi (see the original question and the answer):

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624052/24-192-dac-related-question#post_8636133

Also, the specs for Modi 2 state that 24/192 may not be possible on TOSLINK:

Modi 2 Uber: 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB. 16/44.1 to 24/192 via Toslink* and Coax.
*Note: many optical transmitters cannot output 24/176 and 24/192 reliably

You're MUCH better off using digital if you're not going to use USB; it's bandwidth is considerably wider than TOSLINK optical, and it sound better as well. Even Absolute Sound does not recommend using TOSLINK for audio if it can be avoided:

"TosLink is still inferior to other digital interfaces, except perhaps adaptive USB (non-asynchronous). The reason is that TosLink is limited in bandwidth to 3MHz. Even the higher-end glass-fiber TosLink cables don't sound as good as coax or AES/EBU. The new fourth edition of The Complete Guide to High-End Audio still recommends avoiding TosLink if at all possible. Many cable boxes and satellite receivers offer only TosLink, however. –
Answered by [COLOR=0088CC]Robert Harley
October 07, 2012 6:22 p.m" 

[/color]

​

As you quoted from the Schiit site, TOSLINK can support up to 24/192, but it's dependent on the quality of the transmitter and cable.

Also, I don't think blanket statements about confection type are true or useful. It's really dependent on the individual implementation, and is definitely not something that can accurately be summarized as "USB is always better than TOSLINK."

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #93 of 1,909
As you quoted from the Schiit site, TOSLINK can support up to 24/192, but it's dependent on the quality of the transmitter and cable.

Also, I don't think blanket statements about confection type are true or useful. It's really dependent on the individual implementation, and is definitely not something that can accurately be summarized as "USB is always better than TOSLINK."

Some confections ARE sweeter than others, and that is both true AND useful.

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #95 of 1,909
Haha, you got me there! (grumble, grumble, thanks autocorrect)

Just some humor to keep things light! 
biggrin.gif

Have a good Saturday. 

Me, I'm goin' over to a buddy's to listen to his new preamp and most importantly, music! 

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #96 of 1,909
I'm interested in a definitive answer as why someone (other than upgradeability) would buy the Bifrost over the Modi 2 Uber, especially since it's being marketed as the Bifrost Mini?  Why wouldn't I just just buy a new Modi 3 or Modi 4 (assuming they exist) every time the product cycles, which are probably near the cost of the Bifrost upgrade parts?

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #97 of 1,909
I'm interested in a definitive answer as why someone (other than upgradeability) would buy the Bifrost over the Modi 2 Uber, especially since it's being marketed as the Bifrost Mini?  Why wouldn't I just just buy a new Modi 3 or Modi 4 (assuming they exist) every time the product cycles, which are probably near the cost of the Bifrost upgrade parts?
Bifrost's first upgrade (Uber) is only $100, but that's also the Schiit-installed version. If you want to install it yourself, it's only $70. Modi 2 Uber is $150, or $50 more than a Schiit-installed Bifrost upgrade. So in the long run, it would be cheaper to simply upgrade the Bifrost.

Also, I think Bifrost is supposed to sound better than Modi, and Gungnir better than Bifrost.

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #98 of 1,909

Won't be a definitive answer, but Mike commented in the Schiit owners thread

post #7702

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #101 of 1,909
Dec 13, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #103 of 1,909

Why buy a Corvette? , you can buy the Camaro for 1/2 the price and both are blindingly Fast! 

Someone will do a comparison review and we'll discover an answer if one exists.  

Maybe Baldr will step-in here and try to explain things.

Maybe there won't be a Bifrost in a couple of weeks when they sell-thru their Stock! 

Or, just buy both and find out.  

Write a review to inform the world, become our Hero!

Tony in Michigan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back