The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #841 of 1,909
   People buy new cars with updated drive trains of their old ones like the chevy small block which have been around for decades just constantly improved. And tv's which are the same resolution of their old one just better features.Theoretically the Wyrd was not supposed to improve sound either but for myself and many others their is an audible difference. The Modi 2 is not exactly the same as the Modi and the Uber is not either. lets see what our ears say before we pass judgment, you never know it could be another case of wyrd schiit!!!

I'm not judging, I firmly believe people should do what they want with their money. I just think they'd be better off saving it until they can get the next level (Bifrost or Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr) upgrades. The car comparison isn't exactly fair, because once you put enough miles on a car, most people would rather buy a new one than going through the hassle of fixing everything. I'm still rocking my dad's Denon receiver from the 80s with my speakers, so I can't say that audio stuff needs repairs like cars do. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #842 of 1,909
  I'm not judging, I firmly believe people should do what they want with their money. I just think they'd be better off saving it until they can get the next level (Bifrost or Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr) upgrades.

My personal plan is to get the Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber soon, then save up for the Ragnarok and Yggdrasil later on.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #843 of 1,909
  People buy new cars with updated drive trains of their old ones like the chevy small block which have been around for decades just constantly improved. And tv's which are the same resolution of their old one just better features.Theoretically the Wyrd was not supposed to improve sound either but for myself and many others their is an audible difference. The Modi 2 is not exactly the same as the Modi and the Uber is not either. lets see what our ears say before we pass judgment, you never know it could be another case of wyrd schiit!!!

I'm not judging, I firmly believe people should do what they want with their money. I just think they'd be better off saving it until they can get the next level (Bifrost or Asgard/Valhalla/Lyr) upgrades. The car comparison isn't exactly fair, because once you put enough miles on a car, most people would rather buy a new one than going through the hassle of fixing everything. I'm still rocking my dad's Denon receiver from the 80s with my speakers, so I can't say that audio stuff needs repairs like cars do. 

I got the uber stack and had the original stack as well. The ubers fit in better to my system with the multiple inputs and pre outs, and it allowed me to move the original stack to my office computer which I was just using the on board sound card.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #844 of 1,909
Clicking on people's profiles, I noticed you also own the QC15. I will probably sell it before getting the Schiit combo, but it would be hilarious if even it sounded better out of it. I didn't realize until after purchasing it that the M40x is supposed to scale rather well, so I'm looking forward to witnessing the improvements.

Haha I am actually looking to sell them. Currently gave them to my sister since she'll use them more than I.

Honestly though, you'll probably see a much bigger sonic improvement spending that money on new headphones than sticking with the M40. Headphones > Amp > DAC

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #846 of 1,909
Haha I am actually looking to sell them. Currently gave them to my sister since she'll use them more than I.

Honestly though, you'll probably see a much bigger sonic improvement spending that money on new headphones than sticking with the M40. Headphones > Amp > DAC

I'm getting the Focal Spirit Professional when I get the Schiit stack. (I've mentioned that a few times in this thread, but I guess not everyone reads all the posts. I also said "headphones > amp > DAC" a page or three ago! hehe)

The main reason I got the M40x is because I had the money, wanted something immediately, and after hours of research determined it would be the best choice for a $100 studio monitor headphone. I'll get many more headphones later, but kind of want to just save up for the Abyss.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #848 of 1,909
  Just a quick review to keep the thread on course. I moved my Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 to my office at work today.

Most of my knowledge is in home theater, but I've been into iems for quite some time, however not cans. 

I previously tried the fulla and was not impressed, albeit it was only $79.00 so my comparison would be to go against that or my home PC with an excellent sound card.

<SNIP>

I'm unsure if the AC with the Modi 2 Uber affects/limits computer noise, but what I can extrapolate is this. The Fulla had noise on all 3 of my PC's. (2 desktops & laptop). I tried multiple ports, powered and even a hub. It was subtle, but it was there with the Fulla. I plugged in the modi 2 uber to all 3 of my  PC's and  have ZERO feed back. When at the lowest setting to cranking it to the highest setting. No music at highest setting or my brain stem would be bleeding. (Zero feedback happy dance) This is very impressive. I'm going to borrow a friends Wyrd in the future and report back if I notice any differences.

Couple additional details. When switching to high/low gain on the Magni. May be best to unplug your iems. There is a noticeable loud pop as it switches. I only did this once, but probably would advise against it. My Magni will always be on low gain.

The volume pot is excellent for customs. I listen to my iems at a pretty low level and usually had it at 11:00. The 1:00 would be for jamming out. 3:00 is painful. So there is plenty of play. There were no channel imbalances at any setting.

<SNIP>

Fulla is susceptible to noise simply because it does not have much in the way of RF/EMI shielding. I noticed a clicking/hum sound when it was next to a spinning hard drive or my Apple Time capsule. It is very easy remove this noise by simply using a longer USB mini-B cord and moving Fulla further away from any electronics. Just moving it a foot to 1.5 feet away from anything emitting EMI or RF will make it quite quiet. The old inverse-square law does wonders here.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #849 of 1,909

Actually, they can. In particular, electrolytic capacitors can dry up and fail, and even old discrete transistors can fail given enough time. 

Right now, I've got a DSP board in an Arcam AVR280 that I paid $2000 for in 2008 that appears to be going failing/going bad. Not happy about that at all. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #850 of 1,909
well, just think abt it this way. if you can sell your old gen 1 stack for $150ish and you save the $300 instead of buying the uber stack, you can now easily afford something along the lines of this: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm (Sabre ES9018 dac chip, amp dsd support) or the emotiva stealth dac/amp combo with balanced outputs.

That is just random examples and it may not necessarily be better for you, but the point is that if you restrain yourself from buying multiple similar entry level components, you can afford something nicer down the road. For me personally, I feel like I wasted some money on entry level stuff bc once you upgrade, they just sit around gathering dust, so my advice is if you ever think you will be wanting to upgrade, just wait & save up for smtg nicer.

now if you are buying you first amp/dac thats a different story, but i guess i personally wldnt think its worthwhile to spend an additional $300 for an uber m&m stack if i alrdy owned the gen 1 stack. imo of course.

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #851 of 1,909

yeah it's hard to use IEM or sensitive headphone on magni 2 uber IF you are a low-volume listener. like me. too much to the left is either off, or not-center enough, a little to the right is too loud.
it's POWERFUL.

Can you please elaborate on this? I have a Magni 2 Uber coming to use with Noble K10 IEMs. I hoped low gain would be okay with them - low noise floor and good channel balance as others have been reporting. Is this not the case for the Uber?

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #852 of 1,909

Can you please elaborate on this? I have a Magni 2 Uber coming to use with Noble K10 IEMs. I hoped low gain would be okay with them - low noise floor and good channel balance as others have been reporting. Is this not the case for the Uber?

i listen in a very low volume. another illustration, on my fiio X1, i only use volume 15 with my IEM.
on windows, direct to motherboard audio jack, i listen at volume 11.

it's hard to listen to magni 2 uber without going too loud for me. to the right at 8 o'clock is too loud. less than 8 o'clock, is perfect volume but it's too little for the 2 uber and because it's too low, it's a little off-centered.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #853 of 1,909

i listen in a very low volume. another illustration, on my fiio X1, i only use volume 15 with my IEM.
on windows, direct to motherboard audio jack, i listen at volume 11.

it's hard to listen to magni 2 uber without going too loud for me. to the right at 8 o'clock is too loud. less than 8 o'clock, is perfect volume but it's too little for the 2 uber and because it's too low, it's a little off-centered.

I think the specs of each IEM need to be taken into account as well. Some models may fare better. Also, were you using low or high gain?

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #854 of 1,909

I recently got a free trial to Amazon Prime. How many items are that affordable for same day delivery?

Edit: I just checked. It's really every single order, no matter what it is or where it's from?! Ah, that's the catch...it has to be from a qualifying city, to a qualifying city. In other words, pretty useless for nearly all of us in the context of audio equipment.

I recently got my brand new DT-770's delivered same day, on a Sunday no less.  Once my rebate comes in, my final out of pocket will be $130, taxes, shipping, etc.  They're $229 now.

Why are people that have the original Modi upgrading? The differences between Modi 1 and 2 seem minimal, except for the additional inputs that the Uber offers. Either way, hardly seems worth a $150 upgrade to me. The Magni is a bit different, although even then it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade from the original. People could've saved the money from bother purchases and gotten Asgards and Bifrosts and truly seen a difference.

Some of us have until January 31st to return the Modi / Magni combo to Amazon.  Essentially we're only paying $100 to go from version 1 to version 2 Uber for the combo, not $300.  $249 (Asgard) + $519 (Bifrost Uber) is a whole lot more $$$ than the entry level stack.  If I upgrade again, I'll probably go straight to end game (Yggodrasil and Ragnorak) and call it a day rather than mess around with mid-level stuff.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #855 of 1,909
Is there a standard mode for the Modi Uber ? Only expert mode by default ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back