The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 30, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #871 of 1,909
My ears can barely hear the difference between 320 mp3 and hi-res FLAC. The Modi 2 Uber will be my end game, as will the Asgard 2. I'm just going to experiment with headphones from here on out because that seems to be were the most audible differences are. I'm enjoying my music listening so much already, not really interested in eking out the last 10% of detail.

Maybe if I go to a meetup sometime my mind will change but I have too strong an addiction to guitar amps and pedals to spend much more on my Head-Fi hobby.

Dec 30, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #872 of 1,909
Exactly... the headphones are the primary focus. You have to find the sound sig you like best. For me, it's Ultrasone sound. I have not been able to find anything that sounds like an Ultrasone, and I absolutely love it.

Amazing bass punch, great detail, great imaging and vast sound stage. There's just no comparable product I've heard, from any company.

You can't get a Grado, a Denon, a Sennheiser, a Bayer to sound like the Ultrasone does.

And the 880 I just bought seals the deal. I love how these are tuned. So much fun for my EDM.

It's mainly the headphone guys. Then from there, you can decide if you really need the 4,000 setup to run it or not. In my case, I highly doubt it would make a meaningful difference. I guess I've beat this horse down so many times, it's getting crazy, but this is no doubt true.

It's all about what YOU like and what sounds great to you. Don't forget that.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #873 of 1,909
Well, Schiit came through big for me.  I sent them an email this morning just asking for a status update.  I explained the situation that I originally ordered expecting delivery no later than Saturday.  Didn't hear back from customer service, but just got a shipment notification.  They are 2Day-ing it and it'll be here on Friday!  Very excited!  Will do my best to post a pic of gift and recipient on Friday night. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #874 of 1,909
My Modi 2U was just shipped Priority as well. Can't wait to see how it sounds. I'm just excited to have multiple inputs, this will complete my desktop setup!

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #876 of 1,909

I totally disagree. Especially with diminishing returns giving you less and less return as you go up the ladder. The mid-tier represents a good trade off with your wallet and great performance.

Not only that, but it depends completely on the headphone you need to power. For the great majority of dynamic driver headphones (which are most headphones on the market anyways), they don't need tons of power to drive.

I think a $4,000 setup is way overkill when you can get most of the way there for FAR LESS.

Heck, I think my Ultrasones pair well with my Matrix M-stage for $200.

Spending 20 times that would really make very little sense to me. There are other places to spend your money.

You should talk the @grizzlybeast then. He dipped his toes into entry, shot for end game... and then sold everything to comeback to mid-tier.

Sometimes, there's more fun in the journey than the destination... from my own experience at least.

I had this long response written and I canned it before I derailed the thread even more, I agree the journey is the best part and yes there is a point of diminishing returns. I had a pair of MB quart towers that retailed over 3k when new (no I did not pay anywhere near that for them)and a Vintage Harmon Kardon Amplifier that I gave away because the $300 New pair of Mackie Powered monitors which were supposed to be temporary had better High End clarity, cleaner lows and warmer mids. I Say lets wait to see what the Modi 2 and the Uber really can do before we jump off the cliff saying if it is or is not worth it. I don't see the point in buying the latest and greatest but if you do that's all that matters.

Any Updates from people who have gotten their Modi 2 and or Modi 2 Uber?  I ordered The Modi 2 Uber on the 17th and still waiting... and waiting............... I have seen some brief first impressions from the lucky few. Any more in depth information? I would love to live Vicariously through you until Santa decides to put the cookies down and finish his late deliveries.

Dec 30, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #879 of 1,909
  I ordered 12/15 and just got my shipping confirmation as well 
beyersmile.png

Awesome. I am getting excited now.

I'm not sure if you guys noticed but there is the last chapter of the schiit happened thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/4455#post_11156943
Jason goes more in depth on the difference between Modi 2 and Modi 2 Uber. I think it should help those on the fence about upgrading from original Modi or those who are deciding between which Modi 2 version to get realize the Uber is not just extra Inputs its Modi 2 on steroids.

From Jason him self

"Modi 2 Uber is a very different product than a Modi 2. Because it has optical and coaxial inputs, it needs a power supply. It can’t rely on the USB input alone for power.

Which gives it a big leg up on Modi 2 right there—a linear, low-noise, multiply regulated power supply. With a wall-wart, yeah, but a linear supply will beat USB power anyday.

It’s also different in another way: we have to switch, and manage, multiple inputs. Like all of our other DACs, Modi 2 Uber doesn’t use asynchronous sample rate conversion to make all the inputs a convenient single bit depth and sampling rate—which means we have to detect the bit depth and sampling rate, and change clock multiples on the fly for multiple inputs.

This means that Modi 2 Uber has a microprocessor. Which has to have its own firmware. So, when we’re producing Modi 2 Uber, we install 2 firmwares, one for the USB input, and one for the microprocessor clock management.

So, yeah—just like a mini Bifrost."

Also Explains the Production delays for the Modi 2 Ubers.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #880 of 1,909
Still waiting for my Modi 2 U and Magni 2 U to ship but I'm not going got hold my breath though as I ordered on Christmas Day. I would greatly appreciate impressions from you soon to be owners once you have yours in hand.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #881 of 1,909
Still waiting for my Modi 2 U and Magni 2 U to ship but I'm not going got hold my breath though as I ordered on Christmas Day. I would greatly appreciate impressions from you soon to be owners once you have yours in hand.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered my Modi 2U on Christmas also. I'm not expecting to get it until mid January. I also ordered the Magni 2U and should be getting that tomorrow I hope...

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #882 of 1,909
Got my Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber shipping notice!! :) 

Should be here before the end of the week... can't say I'm not excited

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #883 of 1,909
  Which gives it a big leg up on Modi 2 right there—a linear, low-noise, multiply regulated power supply. With a wall-wart, yeah, but a linear supply will beat USB power anyday.

Ah.. its always a pleasure to read an on topic post.  I do wish there was a way to otherwise trim/skim posts that have a "me too", "shipping confirmation", "amazon return", etc.
But then again this thread would be dead for another week I suppose.

Thank you for posting that link though it was an interesting read.

At any rate was it not discussed earlier that the power for the Modi 2 Uber was only for powering the optical and co-ax connections?  I may have missed it in the quagmire of posts 60 pages ago but does the external power even contribute to the USB connection?

If anyone has a Modi 2 uber on hand, and don't mind humouring me, does the unit function with only the USB connection and no wall wart (with power switch on)?  Perhaps the answer is obvious already but hey I thought to ask, sillier questions have been asked previously : ).

I will add my 2 cents tho.  If anyone can compare the Bifrost Uber and Modi 2 Uber I would be quite curious, and appreciative of your time.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #884 of 1,909
  At any rate was it not discussed earlier that the power for the Modi 2 Uber was only for powering the optical and co-ax connections?  I may have missed it in the quagmire of posts 60 pages ago but does the external power even contribute to the USB connection?

If anyone has a Modi 2 uber on hand, and don't mind humouring me, does the unit function with only the USB connection and no wall wart (with power switch on)?  Perhaps the answer is obvious already but hey I thought to ask, sillier questions have been asked previously : ).

I posted Schiit's response earlier about the Modi 2 Uber, but will paste it again:

it needs to be plugged into the wall. The linear power supply runs everything but the USB input.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #885 of 1,909
I had this long response written and I canned it before I derailed the thread even more, I agree the journey is the best part and yes there is a point of diminishing returns. I had a pair of MB quart towers that retailed over 3k when new (no I did not pay anywhere near that for them)and a Vintage Harmon Kardon Amplifier that I gave away because the $300 New pair of Mackie Powered monitors which were supposed to be temporary had better High End clarity, cleaner lows and warmer mids. I Say lets wait to see what the Modi 2 and the Uber really can do before we jump off the cliff saying if it is or is not worth it. I don't see the point in buying the latest and greatest but if you do that's all that matters.

Any Updates from people who have gotten their Modi 2 and or Modi 2 Uber?  I ordered The Modi 2 Uber on the 17th and still waiting... and waiting............... I have seen some brief first impressions from the lucky few. Any more in depth information? I would love to live Vicariously through you until Santa decides to put the cookies down and finish his late deliveries.

Ordered on the 15th and just received a shipping notification from FedEx.

Yehhaaa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back