The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #811 of 1,909
I would call it neutral; I would call the Magni neutral too. But somehow the Vali is more pleasurable to me. More sense of depth, maybe. The Magni seemed just a bit cold to me.

If they are equally neutral, then it must be something other than sense of depth that makes it seem cold to you.

Amen to that. Let's not forget we're talking about shelling out $99 or $149 for a Modi, not thousands of dollars. The original Modi & Magni do a terrific job of improving my computer's sound. My Hifiman HE500's, Sennheiser 650's, Beyerdynamics DT1350's and Grado SR80's all sound wonderful through the original combo. Don't believe me, then check out the thread on the original equipment. Rest assured the Schiit boys know they have a great combo and I don't think they are going to tamper too much with a successful and well know formula. The 2/Übers will sound much like (possibly a bit "better" than the) originals.

Yep! Even an iPod sounds way better than plugging directly into a computer, at least in my experience.

Which reminds me, does anyone else here pace while listening to music? I'm planning on using longer headphone cables for the desktop system and am trying to figure out potential issues. What I've identified so far are accidentally tripping over the cable or pulling the amp and DAC off of the desk...but that seems unlikely, as long as I'm careful.

It's interesting how you bring up photography as a parallel. The difference in photography is that you can easily direct compare two photos simultaneously. Hence, photography is relatively devoid of scams or skechy claims such as the cable debate or burn in debate or sampling rate debate that have never been scientifically proven. In the audio hobby, a simultaneous comparision is impossible. People around here seldom even do a blind ABx comparision (which would be the next best thing), yet often make a lot of sonic claims. That's fine btw. Just that in reality a lot of these sonic differences you read abt are not as obvious or even really unidentifiable when rigorously tested. ur opinion may differ & ymmv, but srsly, how many ppl around here doin a dac comparision do a double blind volume matched test? probably zero. so a lot of info here are really just subjective personal opinions that cannot be proven or disproven.

I still have an old manual camera that doesn't use batteries, so you do everything yourself.
cool.gif

For what it's worth, every single headphone cable I've used so far has had a very different sound signature, like night and day difference...I only wish I had the know-how to properly measure them during playback and so on.

Thanks for that offer.  I wouldn't want you to have to wait any longer than you have to.  I'm a bit impatient as you can tell.  I'm used to paying $5.99 for same day delivery on Amazon Prime so this multi-week shipping is pretty abnormal for me.

I recently got a free trial to Amazon Prime. How many items are that affordable for same day delivery?

Edit: I just checked. It's really every single order, no matter what it is or where it's from?! Ah, that's the catch...it has to be from a qualifying city, to a qualifying city. In other words, pretty useless for nearly all of us in the context of audio equipment.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #812 of 1,909
If they are equally neutral, then it must be something other than sense of depth that makes it seem cold to you.

Yeah, they sound a little different and while I think they could still be described as neutral in frequency response, there's something going on. Maybe the spectrum of harmonic distortions are different between them (probably), or differences in IM distortion or something else.

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #813 of 1,909
Yeah, they sound a little different and while I think they could still be described as neutral in frequency response, there's something going on. Maybe the spectrum of harmonic distortions are different between them (probably), or differences in IM distortion or something else.

IM distortion that can be percieved sounds noticably terrible so I doubt that's it.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #814 of 1,909
Looking for a new amp and have never used tubes. Would anyone care to comment on the differences between the Vali, Vallhala (which I can get used for $235), and Valhalla 2? They will be used with a HD600 listening mostly to jazz and classical.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #815 of 1,909

Too bad the designers probably won't comment on this topic, so we have to figure it out for ourselves!
floatsmile.png

I know the type of harmonic distortion in tube amps is of a more pleasant persuasion. This Google search has great insights.

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #816 of 1,909
  I ordered first thing on the 17th (9 AM their time).  Today is day 8 of the "ships within 6-8 business days".  I'll email them tomorrow to see what the hold up is.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease! 
wink.gif

I ordered the 14th and my order page originally said 7-10 days now it says when available. I spoke to someone last week and they said they would ship mine this week but I don't see that happening

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #817 of 1,909
I ordered the 14th and my order page originally said 7-10 days now it says when available. I spoke to someone last week and they said they would ship mine this week but I don't see that happening

Well it's only Monday.

Ordered mine on the 15th so I'm on the same boat as well

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #818 of 1,909
I ordered at 6am on the 19th. I am not used to waiting this long as I usually get 2 day shipping on amazon. It sucks having no amp or dac. It can't come soon enough. I keep thinking maybe I made a mistake by ordering the uber modi.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #819 of 1,909
  I ordered at 6am on the 19th. I am not used to waiting this long as I usually get 2 day shipping on amazon. It sucks having no amp or dac. It can't come soon enough. I keep thinking maybe I made a mistake by ordering the uber modi.

C'mon, you're commited so stay the course. You will be rewarded.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #820 of 1,909

Sounds like a matter of shipping time during Christmas week, and I presume you are regretting that, and not the Uber Modi itself which you haven't heard yet. Unless you are saying you have reservations about the product itself, based on experience or reports?

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #821 of 1,909
I ordered the magni 2 uber on Saturday, but shortly after decided I wanted to tack on the modi 2 uber and save on the shipping cost. I emailed in asking if I could add it to my order. I received a shipping notification today and thought I missed the window to add the modi 2 uber to my order. Shortly after that, I received an email from customer service saying it was held back in case I wanted to add on the modi 2, but it would end up meaning the stack wouldn't ship for a few more weeks, as the modi 2 uber is still in production. It seems that the modi 2 uber is what's slowing the shipping times. My magni 2 uber would be on its way had I decided to not add on the modi 2 uber. I decided to still add on the modi 2 and wait it out. I'm giving the new stack to my dad to replace the old m/m stack I had handed down to him after getting the A2/uber bifrost stack.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #822 of 1,909
  I ordered the magni 2 uber on Saturday, but shortly after decided I wanted to tack on the modi 2 uber and save on the shipping cost. I emailed in asking if I could add it to my order. I received a shipping notification today and thought I missed the window to add the modi 2 uber to my order. Shortly after that, I received an email from customer service saying it was held back in case I wanted to add on the modi 2, but it would end up meaning the stack wouldn't ship for a few more weeks, as the modi 2 uber is still in production. It seems that the modi 2 uber is what's slowing the shipping times. My magni 2 uber would be on its way had I decided to not add on the modi 2 uber. I decided to still add on the modi 2 and wait it out. I'm giving the new stack to my dad to replace the old m/m stack I had handed down to him after getting the A2/uber bifrost stack.

That's rather nice of you to give your dad the gift.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #823 of 1,909
Why are people that have the original Modi upgrading? The differences between Modi 1 and 2 seem minimal, except for the additional inputs that the Uber offers. Either way, hardly seems worth a $150 upgrade to me. The Magni is a bit different, although even then it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade from the original. People could've saved the money from bother purchases and gotten Asgards and Bifrosts and truly seen a difference.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #824 of 1,909
Count me another more or less patiently waiting Uber stack 14th orderer :). Mine has not shipped and the CS rep said today she couldn't tell me when it would ship. She said they aren't getting the Modi Uber boards as fast as they initially thought. I will post when my order ships so everyone knows the progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back