The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 29, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #827 of 1,909
Sounds like a matter of shipping time during Christmas week, and I presume you are regretting that, and not the Uber Modi itself which you haven't heard yet. Unless you are saying you have reservations about the product itself, based on experience or reports?

I just meant due to the delays on the modi uber and me not needing the extra features of the uber. Probably should have just ordered modi 2.

Dec 29, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #828 of 1,909
It's crazy how far off topic , threads can get. Lol.

Quote:
The Schiit owners unite thread I started is just as bad for the same reasons by the same usual suspects.

i asked some questions on schiit owners thread.

among those usual suspects, one of them you meant me?

why is it wrong for me to ask questions i don't know?

not everybody live in the develop country.
nobody around me uses DAC and amp so i have to turn to thread to ask questions.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #829 of 1,909

I wasn't lumping you into that group.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #830 of 1,909
Nah bro. You're good. It was in reference to something earlier. Cheers.
i asked some questions on schiit owners thread.

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #832 of 1,909
Why are people that have the original Modi upgrading? The differences between Modi 1 and 2 seem minimal, except for the additional inputs that the Uber offers. Either way, hardly seems worth a $150 upgrade to me. The Magni is a bit different, although even then it doesn't seem like a worthwhile upgrade from the original. People could've saved the money from bother purchases and gotten Asgards and Bifrosts and truly seen a difference.

I agree. I personally think that you will get more for your money upgrading up to a next level dac rather than switchin to the uber if you alrdy own the 1st gen stuff & dont need the extra inputs.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #833 of 1,909
I ordered at 6am on the 19th. I am not used to waiting this long as I usually get 2 day shipping on amazon. It sucks having no amp or dac. It can't come soon enough. I keep thinking maybe I made a mistake by ordering the uber modi.

Man up c'mon. You will receive what you ordered

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #836 of 1,909
I mostly ordered the uber due to the vannity and that magical enhanced analog section they refuse to comment on.

divide it by 12 months, and you'll get $4.2 per month. and it has 2 years warranty.

from looks alone, i dont think you'll regret it. from sound... i dont know. my headphones are efficient enough to be driven without solid state amps. i dont think the difference between modi 2 and uber will be significant enough for me. i legitimately just paid the extra $50 for magni uber just for the finish.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #837 of 1,909
Just a quick review to keep the thread on course. I moved my Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 to my office at work today.

Most of my knowledge is in home theater, but I've been into iems for quite some time, however not cans. 

I previously tried the fulla and was not impressed, albeit it was only $79.00 so my comparison would be to go against that or my home PC with an excellent sound card.

So my initial thoughts. This combo is smooth & flat. Exactly what I wanted. My current custom iems tend to be a bit on the bright side and often cause fatigue when listening to certain songs or extended listening duration. This combo tended to curve that in a very pleasant way. While I'm still in the burn in period, the out of the box experience is excellent. 

On music. My iems (UM MAGE) & Monoprice buds sounded more open. It seemed that the Modi was able to pull more detail than my PC's soundcard at home. The Modi found a lower bass registry that was previously non-existent. I've never heard my Mages hit this low before. My Mages are excellent at mids, but lack on the lower spectrum. I can't wait to pair them with my incoming kaisers, as it felt that the Modi was trying to speak to my Mages, but they could not interpret all of the lower frequency.

On a normal day I can listen for 3-4 hours on iems. Soon after I start to show fatigue. My ears are extremely sensitive to high frequencies. (If a CRT television is in the room I have to leave.) With the fulla, the music was far more forward and bright. That compounded with both of my iems making them almost harsh. Thus far, I have about 15 hours of listening and have not seen any of the fatigue that I normally suffer. I still notice that my Mages are bright, but it has considerably tamed them down. 

I'm unsure if the AC with the Modi 2 Uber affects/limits computer noise, but what I can extrapolate is this. The Fulla had noise on all 3 of my PC's. (2 desktops & laptop). I tried multiple ports, powered and even a hub. It was subtle, but it was there with the Fulla. I plugged in the modi 2 uber to all 3 of my  PC's and  have ZERO feed back. When at the lowest setting to cranking it to the highest setting. No music at highest setting or my brain stem would be bleeding. (Zero feedback happy dance) This is very impressive. I'm going to borrow a friends Wyrd in the future and report back if I notice any differences.

Couple additional details. When switching to high/low gain on the Magni. May be best to unplug your iems. There is a noticeable loud pop as it switches. I only did this once, but probably would advise against it. My Magni will always be on low gain.

The volume pot is excellent for customs. I listen to my iems at a pretty low level and usually had it at 11:00. The 1:00 would be for jamming out. 3:00 is painful. So there is plenty of play. There were no channel imbalances at any setting.

I will be borrowing them to a friend that has a better perspective with Cans. Hopefully you will see another review pop up then.

I'm very happy with this purchase. I do wish they were both machined aluminum (Magni 2), but I did not need the additional power from the Magni 2 Uber.

Final bit, I did get mine sooner than a few others patiently waiting in this thread... But good things come to those that wait :)

-Waiting on Kaisers 4+ more weeks.......

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #838 of 1,909

Clicking on people's profiles, I noticed you also own the QC15. I will probably sell it before getting the Schiit combo, but it would be hilarious if even it sounded better out of it. I didn't realize until after purchasing it that the M40x is supposed to scale rather well, so I'm looking forward to witnessing the improvements.

i ordered the 2 uber based on aluminium vanity reason...

I mostly ordered the uber due to the vannity and that magical enhanced analog section they refuse to comment on.

I'm ordering it because it's more expensive.
tongue.gif
(I jest. All the upgrades appeal to me, even if I don't need them.)

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #839 of 1,909
  I'm very happy with this purchase. I do wish they were both machined aluminum (Magni 2), but I did not need the additional power from the Magni 2 Uber.

yeah it's hard to use IEM or sensitive headphone on magni 2 uber IF you are a low-volume listener. like me. too much to the left is either off, or not-center enough, a little to the right is too loud.
it's POWERFUL.

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #840 of 1,909
I agree. I personally think that you will get more for your money upgrading up to a next level dac rather than switchin to the uber if you alrdy own the 1st gen stuff & dont need the extra inputs.

People buy new cars with updated drive trains of their old ones like the chevy small block which have been around for decades just constantly improved. And tv's which are the same resolution of their old one just better features.Theoretically the Wyrd was not supposed to improve sound either but for myself and many others their is an audible difference. The Modi 2 is not exactly the same as the Modi and the Uber is not either. lets see what our ears say before we pass judgment, you never know it could be another case of wyrd schiit!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back