The Schiitstorm: Next-Gen Magni 2 and Modi 2 Family!
Dec 31, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,876 of 1,909
Can you leave these on overnight to burn in some headphones or will it get to hot?

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #1,878 of 1,909
Magni will get mildly warm, Modi stays cool. You can leave them on overnight (or forever for that matter) without any problem.

Thanks. When I turn my magni on it makes a ringing noise on my headphone and then the music starts playing is this normal

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #1,879 of 1,909
Thanks. When I turn my magni on it makes a ringing noise on my headphone and then the music starts playing is this normal

It is supposed to be muted for about 10 seconds. There will then be a click (both from the Magni and a small pop through the headphones), and at that point it is unmuted and should start playing.

I haven't heard of a Magni ringing before.

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #1,880 of 1,909
It is supposed to be muted for about 10 seconds. There will then be a click (both from the Magni and a small pop through the headphones), and at that point it is unmuted and should start playing.

I haven't heard of a Magni ringing before.

Yeah a pop my bad not a ring

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,882 of 1,909
Apologies if this has been asked before, I've spent a couple of hours reading up about these two devices and still am unsure...

At the moment, I mostly listen to streaming music which is sent through an optical cable to a £20 DAC and then to my Yamaha AX396. At other times, I listen to vinyl, again through the Yamaha amp. The amp outputs either to my KEF speakers or through its own integrated headphone socket to my Grado headphones.

I'm considering the Magni / Modi combination but am unsure as to how they ought to fit in with my existing system. I understand that the Modi 2 Uber would be required to accept the optical connection. This would then connect to my amp through standard RCA cables.

When it comes to the Magni, I'm less certain. I'm guessing that I ought to connect the amp to the Magni using one of the tape outputs. Is this correct? Is there anything I've missed?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Jan 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #1,883 of 1,909
  Apologies if this has been asked before, I've spent a couple of hours reading up about these two devices and still am unsure...

At the moment, I mostly listen to streaming music which is sent through an optical cable to a £20 DAC and then to my Yamaha AX396. At other times, I listen to vinyl, again through the Yamaha amp. The amp outputs either to my KEF speakers or through its own integrated headphone socket to my Grado headphones.

I'm considering the Magni / Modi combination but am unsure as to how they ought to fit in with my existing system. I understand that the Modi 2 Uber would be required to accept the optical connection. This would then connect to my amp through standard RCA cables.

When it comes to the Magni, I'm less certain. I'm guessing that I ought to connect the amp to the Magni using one of the tape outputs. Is this correct? Is there anything I've missed?

Thanks very much for your assistance.

That will certainly work. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #1,884 of 1,909
I love my Modi 2 Uber. It takes my FLACs from my Dell XPS 13 (JRiver 21) and feeds them to my Bottlehead Crack (w/Speedball) to my Beyer-Dynamic DT-990 (600 Ohm) cans. To be honest, nearly everything is an upgrade from my previous setup: same DT-990's fed from an Asgard and Fiio E07K (I was in Afghanistan and space was at a premium). The Asgard was phenomenal with music AND my Xbox 360 but had to sell it after returning stateside since I had my beloved Klipsch KLF-30s. Sadly, in order to form a more perfect union and preserve the domestic tranquility, I was forced to sell the KLFs. I now have the Crack with all the tube/capacitor rolling fun that comes with it, although SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) insists that we have more dinner plates than vacuum tubes.

It doesn't matter. I've thrown everything from Hosier to Anything Box at the M2U/Crack/990 and there isn't anything that sounds like, well, you know. I'm at the point where I tell my friends to go to Schiit, find their budget point, and click "buy." I'd love to tell them to just enjoy their music, but we all know that half the fun is researching all the gear.

Feb 24, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #1,885 of 1,909
UPDATE :
I received my  Schitt Magni 2 to use with my Xonar DGX PCIe sound card as a source for now until I  maybe get the matching Modi 2 or Modi 2 Uber  USB DAC for it ......if it's worthwhile and turn it into a modest Schiit stack ☻........

ofc I play 24 and 16 bit lossless FLAC files and Tidal Hifi 16/44 FLAC steaming  , The   Schitt Magni 2  is a significant upgrade over my inexpensive Xonar DGX PCIe sound cards headphone amp with some small caveats ☺

more :http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-magni-modi-vs-o2-odac/435#post_12373795

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,887 of 1,909
Please confirm the Modi2 can do 24/176.4.

Id like to raise this question again becuase I just noticed that in Windows Sound Properties the 176.4khz sample rate is only supported for 16 bit audio. But not for 24 or 32 bit. If you have music sampled at 176.4 , it will most certainly be 24 bit. Is anyone else getting the same results?

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #1,888 of 1,909
Hello All,

I am coming back to the hobby after being immersed in my main audio system for a while. I used to own the HD650 and now with my Klipsch-SVS system I think I finally got to a ´point where I enjoy music as uch as I did when I had my hd650 paired with a Headphonia lyrix portable DAC/AMP. 

Since I love headphones and blasting the big system isn't always feasible, I am going to get some high end cans and now with a proper headphone amp. I am seriously considering the HD600 instead of the HD650, because as much as i totally loved the Hd650, and its warm character allowed me to listen to music for soooo many hours (im smiling at the thought of it... :)  ), I did find myself sometimes wanting something more aggressive, maybe something like what I have now with Klipsch and my Yamaha receiver. So, because of that I am going back to the HD600.

I am considering the M&M 2 uber stack, but since I do see the HD800 in a not so distant future, I have been reading like crazy about the difference between the the magni 2 uber and the asgard 2, and how they compared in terms of SQ when paired with the high end Sennheisers. 

For those of you owning the HD600 and HD800 with both magni 2 uber and Asgard 2, should I get the magni and be over it or should I go with the Asgard 2??

I find it odd that most people say the HD800 are harder to drive than HD6X0, because it has a quite crazy 102dB sensitivity, considerably greater than both high end HD6X0.  

Thoughts??

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #1,889 of 1,909
  Thoughts??

Personally I would not pair the HD800 (regular version, unmodded) with either of those unless you really love treble and keep your listening sessions short - everyone hears differently and enjoys different things and I'm admittedly not the biggest HD800 fan out there as I'm extremely treble sensitive but both those amps are neutral to bright (in my opinion).. I've never personally auditioned the Valhalla 2 but in theory it should provide a much more enjoyable listening experience if you're set on the 800s.

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #1,890 of 1,909
Thank you Vigrith. 

As I said, I am not getting the HD800 right away. Hell, if I get a considerable upgrade in SQ from my system with the HD600 and whatever amp and DAC I end up getting, I might not be buying the HD800.  The thing is At the moment I am not into trying a lot of things. I want to "get there" as soon as possible, without having to invest a lot of money trying things. So, if for some reason I can't understand and that cannot be measure (doubt) the more powerful Asgard 2 is better down my possible road, it might be a good idea to get it now. 

The thing is, the hd650 takes a max out put of 280mW, which is less than what both the Asgard 2 and magni 2 uber will deliver. With its considerably better sensitiivity and same impedance, the HD800 should not take as much power as the rated power into 300ohms of the magni 2 uber, let alone the asgard 2. 

The data is talking to me quite clearly, but I know that one thing is what manufactures claim to have measured, and what you finally get and what people say they hear. I just want an advice from people owning or having tried the systems I am considering. Returning and selling is not an option, because I am outside the USA and sending back there is quite expensive. 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back