The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 18, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #76 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
N/A

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?
No - I have not been convinced why it is superior to Hi-Res PCM

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
Nothing at this point in time

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #77 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No

0% SACD, 5% CD, 95% files

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No, unless high resolution downloads coalesce around DSD files, which I find unlikely.

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
No more than 25% of the cost of the DAC itself.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #78 of 333

- I would like to be able to rip SACD's and play the .DSF files directly from my computer, via a USB connection into the DAC.

Either that, or rip/copy them to a collection of SDHC's, which I can insert directly into the DAC.

I believe this is possible with a DVD drive, i.e. without buying an expensive SACD player.

- I'd prefer to buy a completely new DAC optimised for .DSF/DSD rather than pay for an upgrade, it could be called the Sleipnir, for instance.  I'd pay up to $1000 for it if it included a headphone-out and speaker-out, an all-in-one unit since short signal paths are important with DSD, for 1. fidelity, 2. not many people have a receiver which accepts DSD content.

- I think SACD/DSD has potential, limited by expensive SACD players, receivers, and the slight lack of interest in physical media today versus digital.

Even David Moran which published the "inaudible" study cited on Wikipedia said SACD's sound almost universally better than CD's, due to the higher standards of recording quality.

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #79 of 333

Quote:
[...]

YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
NO
100% FLAC/ALAC
NO 
NIL

[...]

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #80 of 333

Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
No.
n/a
no
It's not a feature i would want to pay for.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #81 of 333
Have heard of and seen SACDs on sale. Have not heard of DSD before though.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Nope

N/A

Nope. My main music sources are MP3s (which i have ripped from my CDs for the convenience factor). My "HD" music sources are 88.2/24 or 96/24 FLACs.

Not required

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #82 of 333

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? no
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?CDs converted to Flac files
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? no
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?not interested on SACD at the moment. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #83 of 333

YES
2. Do you own any SACDs?
NO
N/A
NO
NO

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #84 of 333

Yes.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
No

Sacd - 0%
CD - 85%
Files - 15%

I'll also throw in that you should also consider a phono pre....

Not at present but would like the option to add if I decide to get into SACD

30% above your cost to make it.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #85 of 333
No.

2. Do you own any SACDs?
No.

None.

(at this point I've wiki'd it) Heck no. Physical media has been dead to me for the better part of a decade, I don't see the point of digital data on physical medium when it would be much safer and easy to access on a backed up home server.

No.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #86 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?  Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?  No
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?  0% SACD vs 5.5% CD vs 94.5% Files
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?  No
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?  $165.93

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #87 of 333

Quote:
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? YES
2. Do you own any SACDs? YES
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? <10%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? Not Very
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? Probably about 150. Would much rather the cost go into improved power supplies, internal wiring, casework, etc.

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #88 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

Yep.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

One or two I guess. 

Maybe 2%.

Not really, no.

Don't think so.

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 18, 2012 at 8:45 AM Post #89 of 333

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

1 : yes 

2: yes 

3: 15% sacd 85%cd 

4: yes 

5: 750$ maximum

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #90 of 333

Please find my response (in blue) to the survey below.

I'm familiar with SACD but not DSD.

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes, about 60 SACDs.

I would say approximately 5% SACDs and 95% are CDs and files.

Not really, since only 5% of my music collection are SACDs.

Maybe, if my collection of SACDs grows but judging from the trend, it seems unlikely that the SACD format will catch on in future. I would pay no more than $250 for the upgrade.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back