The Schiit SACD/DSD Research Thread--Your Chance to Win a Bifrost!
Apr 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #16 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD?
Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
Yes
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?
10%
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC?
Yes
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
$100 to $150

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

Thanks to all in advance for participating! 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 333
yes and yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
yes, about 100 or so

about 3%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? 
No, but only because it's almost never even an option, and I use an Oppo BDP-95 for SACD playback

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade?
very likely unless it was massively expensive

No need to include me in the drawing, as I already own a Bifrost :wink:

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 333

Quote:

Yes. Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes, but I sold my Universal player & most of my SACD discs some time ago, keeping only a handful of hybrid disks
<5% SACD
No, since SACD/DSD disc content is not usable via standard digital interfaces & DSD downloads are rare at the moment.
Undecided. After being through the hi-rez format wars before, I'd have to see significant & relevant music content first before deciding to jump back in to SACD hardware.

My responses in bold.

Thanks Jason!

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #19 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

It's that time of year again--time we pick your brains. The topic of SACD and its associated DSD datastream have come up in questions about our DAC products, and we want to know what you think about it.

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

That's it. Please let us know what you think by May 15, 2012 in this thread to enter for your chance to win a Schiit Bifrost with USB. We'll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, within a few days afterwards.

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

1. No
2. No
3. 0 SACDs, quite a few CDs... the exact number escapes me. Regardless, they're all ripped in ALAC 16bit/44.1khz. I also buy music from beatport, most of which is AIFF 16bit/44.1khz or 320kbps mp3. I also get stuff from HDtracks on occasion in 24bit/96khz. For music production, I do everything in 24bit/96khz.
4. Nope.
5. Not interested at this time, so I wouldn't pay anything for it.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #20 of 333

Quote:

So, in order:

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

Yes

~2% SACD, the rest is CD's ripped to lossless, high res downloads and some vinyl

Not really but it would be a nice option to have.

$100-$200

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #21 of 333

Quote:
yes with SACD, but not with DSD

2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes, quite a lot SACD, but only using their CD part.

20%

Not at all

Maybe, depend on the price.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #22 of 333

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes
Around 1:10 (SACD:CD)
Not really, since most SACDs are classical music, and I have more other genres of music to listen to.
I would, depending on the quality. Perhaps $200

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #23 of 333

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No

99% files or so, about 1% vinyl

no

If I owned or cared about this technology, probably 300 or so ballpark estimate.  If it was something I was really into I don't think price would be a huge concern and I would pay whatever was needed if I felt the upgrade really did something great in terms of SQ.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #24 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs? Mostly classicals, lots of them!  
3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files? ~10% SACD, 20% HD Downloads and the rest are CDs ripped at the highest format possible.
4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? Not really. SACDs are not that widely used where i live and if it is going to be a feature, it will be one that i don't use all that much anyway.  
5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? Less than 20% of the price of the actual DAC. Unless it's a cheap DAC :) then probably ~$200 at most.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #25 of 333
1. Yes. I own a few myself and would like to get more into the format. 
2. As said above, I own a few of the more recent releases on the format. 
3. I'd say roughly 3% SACD, 2% High Res. Files, 3% Vinyl, 92% CD Rips or Downloads.
4. It hasn't been simply because it's not prominent in stuff yet. I was frustrated to learn about the fact I couldn't use most DACs with the format, and that most players didn't even output for it.
5. Absolutely. If it became more available and was fairly reasonable I'd go for it.

Thanks for really listening to the people asking about DSD. It's nice to see direct involvement from the guys as Schiit throughout the process.

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #26 of 333

Only a bit with SACD

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

No

I do not own any SACD.

No.

I'm not sure that I would've used it, so I do not really know the answer.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #27 of 333
See my embedded answers.

Quote:

So, in order:

Yes.
2. Do you own any SACDs? 
Yes.
I'd estimate around 5%.
If it was available, I would consider it.  Honestly, up to this point I haven't felt the need for that feature.
Honestly, not at this time.  My SACD player downsamples all SACD albums to 16/44.1 for digital output.  Only the analog stage delivers SACD quality sound.  I would have to get a new transport before considering this feature.

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #28 of 333

Quote:
Hey all,

So, in order:

Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? 

In the past I have, but no longer.

n/a

No, its not practical in the current market, in my opinion.  It is only good for those with Summit-Fi level gear and very elaborate and expensive speaker set ups, I am not sure headphones can grasp the full awesomeness of it.  

Upgrades are always wise for future/unforeseen needs.  Didn't the Playstation 3 have this ability, originally?  The problem with this type of format is that its immensely rare to find Binaurial recordings or very well recorded music.  I see almost no use for it beyond the rare instances when a recording is worthy of such a premium quality output.  Recording companies show no care or signs of upping their recording qualities.  Right now, its not the best time for this technology but in the future I think it will become much more popular.
In the current market, mid-fi level and budget range audio gear won't benefit from this type of sound.  Some of the really expensive headphones will, for that reason, since it caters only to the super elite, I would ask any manufacturers who produce this type of product to actually pay me to use it, as it would require purchasing yet more expensive gear just to be able to enjoy it fully.

$0.00 now, perhaps $199 US in the future.   

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #29 of 333

Yes
2. Do you own any SACDs?
    No
    0% SACD, 30% CD, 70% FLAC/lossless
    No
    ~150 to 200

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #30 of 333
1. Are you familiar with SACD? DSD? Yes

2. Do you own any SACDs? Yes, a few hybrids

3. If so, what percentage of your collection is SACD vs CD or files?  1-2%

4. Is SACD/DSD decoding an important consideration when you're looking for a DAC? No

5. If you owned a DAC that could be upgraded to playing SACD/DSD, what would you pay for the upgrade? No more than $150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back