The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Jan 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #736 of 1,456

You might want to wait just a little bit longer, as there are a some DX50 owners who are saying the $350 FiiO X5 beats it for "sound" and there are very few UI complaints getting posted.   In other words, I'm actually thinking the X5 could be the DAP that rescues those of us who resonate with this thread.  

(I realize the DX50 sells for $239, so it's only a fair comparison in the context of $1000+ DAPs.)

ClieOS speaks:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/3945#post_10222712

Mike
Still waiting...

Cheers m8 ive been watching that x5 thread for a while now.

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #738 of 1,456
  Hey guys, anyone here ever heard a Genalex Gold Lion E88CC tube? I was thinking of upgrading the stock tube in my Aune T1 and I'm unsure if I should go with the Gold Lion or maybe instead go with a good Sylvania or Mullard tube. I noticed on the Aune T1 impressions thread the OP who started that thread likes the Voskhod 6N23P tube. Although I've run across various posts concerning Gold Lion, Sylvania and Mullard tubes on other tube threads I've never read anything concerning a Voskhod tube therefore I'm hesitant to invest in the Voskhod. I know next to nothing about tubes so any help would be appreciated guys.

(Man I'm sounding like a noob with this post)

Now that sounds like a Dubstep Girl question if ever I heard one. Doesn't she have a tube eval thread around here somwhere?

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #740 of 1,456
Lol. I was about to respond. What thread were you meaning to post in?[/quote]

I thought I was in MuppetFaces diary thread, lol.

Thanks for the help Hutnicks. If I remember right Dubstep knows tons about tubes and she has a tube thread somewhere on these boards.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #741 of 1,456
  Anybody know if I can use a microSD to OTG cable and connect a USB flash drive to something like a Sansa Clip Zip running Rockbox?  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  At least that way I can get larger memory than 64gb.

Just curious if anybody knows.

Thanks.

Here's a reason why:
MicroUSB != OTG.
OTG requires a special fifth pin that isn't present typically that allows the device to power passive electronics, like say a flash drive.  The MicroUSB connection is strictly for charging and transferring data to/from the device from an actively powered device (ie: smartphone or computer).

Even if RockBox supports OTG firmware, the physical limitation of the port prevents it from happening.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #742 of 1,456
  Here's a reason why:
MicroUSB != OTG.
OTG requires a special fifth pin that isn't present typically that allows the device to power passive electronics, like say a flash drive.  The MicroUSB connection is strictly for charging and transferring data to/from the device from an actively powered device (ie: smartphone or computer).

Even if RockBox supports OTG firmware, the physical limitation of the port prevents it from happening.

So this is a hoax?

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #744 of 1,456
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/51035/what-is-the-difference-between-usb-on-the-go-otg-and-usb-host-mode

The devices you've referred to (both of you) work on hosts/peripherals designed with OTG support.  The Clip does not have this support.  With a little bit of solder and a firmware update, maybe it could - but the damnfool thing is only like $50 and not really worth that amount of investment.  I've tried to transfer songs from my Note 2 to it and it crashed repeatedly.

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #745 of 1,456
be careful when you speak your mind about the ridiculous price of the new AK240 otherwise this thread might get locked as a matter of fact let's all praise Astell & Kern for their business model!

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #746 of 1,456
I'll just leave this here from the posting guidelines that the mods follow...

Likewise, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with. Having doubts about something you see in a design is fair enough, but to quote Robert Pirsig: "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." So remember that you can derive satisfaction from listening with any audio gear as much from your appreciation of the design (whether how it looks or how it measures) as much as how it reproduces music.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #747 of 1,456
  be careful when you speak your mind about the ridiculous price of the new AK240 otherwise this thread might get locked as a matter of fact let's all praise Astell & Kern for their business model!

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #749 of 1,456
Given the plethora of options available (& soon to be available) to us these days, I'm thinking the "sad state" is somewhat mitigated.  IMO, choice is always good, even if some of them are grossly over-priced for what they provide (again, just my opinion).  We've got iBasso & Fiio taking care of enthusiasts with lower-priced offerings, yet still providing terrific performance by most accounts, and we also have higher-priced DAPs for those inclined toward spending more for certain options/fit & finish, etc.  Personally, it looks like the Calyx M will be the one offering that will make me open my wallet sooner than I had planned.  Can't wait to read more about what others think of the AK24/Calyx M/DX90/X5.  I love me some competition!!!

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #750 of 1,456
Well, I agree that a lot of healthy competition could probably kick the industry hard enough in the pants to make companies stop putting out flawed products. As it is, we have DAP's on the market like the Studio V, the C4, the DX100 and the DX50 which are full of UI flaws. The AK120 seems to be running alright although its not without the odd burp once in a blue moon. The Calyx, the X5 and Sony's newest top tier DAP has me intrigued. For the time being I'm just gonna wait, watch and listen to what everyone else has to say about those.

An update involving the DX50: I recently updated to the latest FW and after weeks of it lying around collecting dust my DX50 is finally working at an acceptable level. The card scanning issues seem to be fixed and its freezing a lot less then it used to. I can now go 6 or 7 hours without having to do a reboot. The sound, I'd still rate it a step above an iPod but its still nowhere near being the giant killer some people seem to think it is. I'm still noticing tag issues on some of my files which aren't an issue on my other players, mostly artist isn't being displayed. I don't know, guess if I play around with some creative tagging the problem might get solved. Is the FW update enough to make me change my mind about the DX50? The honest truth is the overall experience I had with my unit coupled with the iBasso lackluster customer support and the less then cordial comments I received on my YouTube channel from the fan boys left me with a very sour taste in my mouth. If iBasso had been more diligent and had taken just a little more time with the OS before releasing this player my opinion of iBasso wouldn't have been so harsh. As it is, I'm treating all this as a learning experience and I consider myself lucky that in the end my unit is functional enough to be used for what it was intended for, enjoying my music on the go. Would I recommend the DX50? My recommendation still remains very guarded, meaning if I had the choice to do it all over again I would look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back