The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Feb 16, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #751 of 1,456
  be careful when you speak your mind about the ridiculous price of the new AK240 otherwise this thread might get locked as a matter of fact let's all praise Astell & Kern for their business model!

Really?

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #753 of 1,456
ROFL

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #755 of 1,456
Bustedddddd
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #756 of 1,456
I always enjoy a good laugh. I wish I knew what was funny here. It's just kinda sad that someone wants to play victim (and blame the mods) for stopping “the right” to junk up the forum with nonsense complaints about a product that hasn't even been released yet.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #757 of 1,456
  be careful when you speak your mind about the ridiculous price of the new AK240 otherwise this thread might get locked as a matter of fact let's all praise Astell & Kern for their business model!

Really?

I wonder what you're trying to say with that question? I've visited the AK240 thread some time ago and there was a palpable air of hostility towards members who criticized Astell & Kern's pricing. During the short time I stayed, none of the mods attempted to relieve the tension and tell people to behave and respect different opinions. To the contrary, Jude himself got personal with one member and told him to "stop with the ridiculous drama" (which led to him leaving the thread). I personally couldn't care less about the pricing matter, but suffice to say I felt quite uneasy about what went on there and unsubscribed shortly afterwards.

So, even though I may not share Gorillaz' critique of Astell & Kern's business model, I think I know exactly where he's coming from. And tbh, I think you know it too.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #758 of 1,456

I wonder what you're trying to say with that question? I've visited the AK240 thread some time ago and there was a palpable air of hostility towards members who criticized Astell & Kern's pricing. During the short time I stayed, none of the mods attempted to relieve the tension and tell people to behave and respect different opinions. To the contrary, Jude himself got personal with one member and told him to "stop with the ridiculous drama" (which led to him leaving the thread). I personally couldn't care less about the pricing matter, but suffice to say I felt quite uneasy about what went on there and unsubscribed shortly afterwards.

So, even though I may not share Gorillaz' critique of Astell & Kern's business model, I think I know exactly where he's coming from. And tbh, I think you know it too.

Getting locked out. Without warning.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #760 of 1,456
Originally Posted by james444 View Post

and I'm pretty sure everyone else knows too, I find it pathetic and at the same time funny how after the "Really" comment by Currawong I got all these LOL quotes, they reminded me of the minions in Despicable Me, I don't blame them they must follow their leaders!

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #761 of 1,456

Getting locked out. Without warning.

also why are peolple complaining about that thread being filled with nonsense about the product in question, if I am not mistaken the thread that was locked was not the "Astell&Kern 240 appreciation thread" it was a thread about discussing their business model and such.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #763 of 1,456
Fiio what? X5 gets good responses as i could see, what else? As i understood we are seeing the begin of golden age of high end DAPs since more great offerings are made to choose from, which is great IMHO.

yes, i find AK240 price interfering with hard core high end which i believe not good for AK but i could not care less about them since this their decision and my money spending is my decision and i am not pressed to buy it thanks to Fiio, Calyx and older AK models which i find great for what they can and cost.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #764 of 1,456
I have to agree. Things are progressively moving towards quality UI and quality sound at more reasonable prices. It works for everyone (the consumers) in the end. I also am not a big fan of what AK has been progressively doing. But it is just my opinion. They offer some good products but really there is no value in what they offer for the most part vs what you are paying. Personally I think their business model will not work very well in the long run and they will lose out to the competition due to their price gouging. This coming from someone who owns an AK product and very much enjoys its sound. I just call it as I see it though.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #765 of 1,456
  also why are peolple complaining about that thread being filled with nonsense about the product in question, if I am not mistaken the thread that was locked was not the "Astell&Kern 240 appreciation thread" it was a thread about discussing their business model and such.

I apology to you, sir, if your complaint was specifically about the price of an unreleased player. Perhaps I misunderstood the business model thing.  And your beef with the mods is between you and them. But if I were a moderator, I wouldn't like being accused of heavy-handedness.

I was making a general statement about what I see (more often than not) on this forum. And that is, people complaining about a product before it is even released. I mean, I could go on the Stax 009 thread and complain about its price but why would I do that? I have no intention of buying it or any number of other products (high priced or not). More power to the people who do buy it. I can afford it. I just don't want it.

I don't know anything about the AK240 thread or similar threads. Mods have deleted some of my posts because I argued with a guy who was critical of the specific functionality of the Shure 846 design (months before it was actually released). They were right for deleting the conversation. If a company takes the time, money, and resources to make a product, they deserve the benefit of the doubt up until the minute people get their hands on the product (and can judge from a position of knowledge).

I decided a while back when looking at the AK100 and AK120 that I didn't want either. I certainly don't intend to get the AK240 unless trusted reviewers start describing it as a definite game changer and the best sound I could ever hope for in a portable player. I'm not holding my breath. And, I'm not impressed by yet higher res playback. I don't hang out on those threads.

If moderators have mistreated individuals on those threads, it's the first I've heard such a thing in the three years I've been here. I haven't witnessed any mistreatment so pardon me if I'm skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back