The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Sep 24, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #76 of 1,456
  Bose - RIP.  Still king of noise canceling cans.

I remember when I made a big deal with internal storage - the more the merrier.  I thought to myself, "boy, it must be great to have my whole collection of digital music files in the palm of my hand." The reality was and still is that  I normally listen to a handful of favorite albums and tracks.  The rest were treated as fillers and after a second or two, it disappeared with the next track or forward button.  I wonder if this is the case for most users.

I have my entire collection always with me at work.
I listen with the Shuffle - All function on!
Meaning, the player rarely repeats a song, heck sometimes I don't hear the same artist in a while, usually never skip tracks (unless I'm falling asleep on my keyboard and it's a slow song playing), etc. So my routine is. Get to work, take out my Cowon and headphones of that week (alternate between Sig DJs, Mad Dogs, Dido D901), turn on the player and connect it to the Schiit Magni, press Play and forget about the player... It stays on playing even if I'm not listening. Usually lasts like 3 days (10 hours or so per day... battery life is very good on that little player!).

So if I'm going for one of these new DAPs and pay $200/$300/$500/etc. it NEEDS to play all my files, via Shuffle all, NOT CRASH and of course be able to read microSD or have an internal mem of 64gb+. If it has battery life of more than 12 hours, even better! And although you might say: "Dude! All of these players do that exact same thing!!!" My answer would be... probably... if the UI and the reliability of the software was worth a darn... .... ....

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #77 of 1,456
Just noticed that I have been the "first" post on pages 4, 5 and 6! I should play that number... LOL

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #78 of 1,456
  Bose - RIP.  Still king of noise canceling cans.

I remember when I made a big deal with internal storage - the more the merrier.  I thought to myself, "boy, it must be great to have my whole collection of digital music files in the palm of my hand." The reality was and still is that  I normally listen to a handful of favorite albums and tracks.  The rest were treated as fillers and after a second or two, it disappeared with the next track or forward button.  I wonder if this is the case for most users.

I actually try to focus more on the tracks that I really enjoy. Like the one hits wonders kind of stuff. Basically most of the tracks that I have on my DAP are things that I very much enjoy listening to. But at the same time I also have tracks that I still enjoy just not as much. I will still listen to them as fillers as you state. But generally a huge amount of the stuff on my player I really want on the player. I probably have around 4,000 tracks in total that I use for portable usage while I have close to 2 TBs of actual music lol. So comparatively small in that regards :p.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #79 of 1,456
I still wish one day I can carry 1TB worth of music on a DAP, but that requires a large display and very good browse/search features

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #80 of 1,456
  I still wish one day I can carry 1TB worth of music on a DAP, but that requires a large display and very good browse/search features

Well if tech continues at the speed it has been you might see a 1tb micro sd/sd card in your life time.  128 gb micro sd cards already exist and will probably be readily available to the public within a year.  

I'm fine with low quality audio for mobile use, 320kbps on android > otg cable > E7 > K272 

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #81 of 1,456
I would rather have a good sounding dap with no expandable memory or low memory than a so-so dap with a lot of memory, is not like I will never use the computer again if I leave my house, you can always add or delete songs, is not a cd pleyer you know.

The point is you can have all of the above. The DX-50 can be expanded in memory (mine has 192 Gb now as I sit, enough for well over 100 HD albums and has the possibility to be expanded to 2Tb) sounds excellent and is not particularly expensive. Why shuffle files and wish you had left a particular album on, etc? In fact, you can carry around a few 128 Gb thumb drives and swap them in and out...

The DX-50, hi-res files and top flight IEMs (actually, the DX-50 will do a capable job on full size phones...). This is the future my friends, right now!

Kevin

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #82 of 1,456

I will probably be doing just this in around a week or 2...

Kevin

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #83 of 1,456
Just a quick update involving whats going on with my DX50. Originally I was going to return it but after emailing iBasso and talking it over with a couple of friends on head-fi I've decided to give the DX50 another chance. Quoting loosely what one of them said "give the player another chance receiving a sour lemon sometimes happens". In iBasso's defense when I originally messaged them concerning my troubles they seemed more then happy to either exchange the player or process a return. They also agreed to cover the shipping back to them and told me to include a copy of the shipping receipt. What the heck I'll give it another shot and see what happens. My defective DX50 should be in the mail on the way back to iBasso by the end of this week.

Sep 25, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #84 of 1,456

128 gb micro sd cards already exist and will probably be readily available to the public within a year.  

I have yet to see one, although I agree it should be within a year that we can buy one. Of course, it will probably cost about $1 per GB at first.....

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #85 of 1,456
I watch your video. I completely agree with you. I sub'd this thread to read it entirely later on. Now I don't have time unfortunately.

Short story: Someone really says the truth. I like it. I like it so much.

Cheers mate!

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #87 of 1,456
So that everyone knows, I'm the guy who created that rant video and the point was the hope iBasso would see it as well as other companies and give some thought I to FW development before releasing anymore buggy crap into the market.

Sep 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #88 of 1,456
It's tough. I think the problem is that these companies introduce these things at shows before they're able to ship and then consumer pressure has them scurrying. They should just keeo things undercover until their ready and then start building them where 2-4 weeks from intro to shipping would be viable and reliable.

I think Ibasso is a VG company but shipping a HiDef player that doesn't play the spec'd res at intro is goofy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back