The Sad State Of The So Called Audiophile DAP Market
Sep 24, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #46 of 1,456

The problem is they are playing the same proprietary crap that apple is. If they included a micro SD slot this would be a non-issue. They basically keep shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. They can't expect to get away with it either. Now apple can because it's apple lol.

Exactly... I love Sony but... COME ON!!!

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #48 of 1,456
  It has wetted our appetites for someone to make a proper DAP with good software -- which Sony just did (at least so it appears).

You mean the one with the non-replacable, non-expandable memory for your hi-def 1Gb + files? I don't see that as proper, exactly. My DX-50 right now has a 64 Gb Micro SD card, a 128 Gb thumb drive and may eventually have a 1 Tb hard drive. At the least, I could buy another 128 Gb thumb drive and swap them (one for HD Classical, one for HD Rock/Jazz, maybe) or get a 256 Gb thumb drive when prices come down. What's the point of a HD player with seriously limited storage?

Kevin

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #49 of 1,456
While I totally get the OP's point and understand it. I really don't have issue using my Anniversary 3. Of course I could wish it had a back button etc. but I it sounds great, is easy enough to find anything on the player and plays plenty of file types. Size and play time are big assets. While the OS isn't perfect, it's quite functional and their engineers seem to have spent a lot of quality time on the codecs.

I also don't see any issue with my AK120. It worked very well from day one and plays everything. I'm not a playlist guy so maybe that makes these players more accommodating to me but the AK120 is very modern, complete and stable in it's OS.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #50 of 1,456
  While I totally get the OP's point and understand it. I really don't have issue using my Anniversary 3. Of course I could wish it had a back button etc. but I it sounds great, is easy enough to find anything on the player and plays plenty of file types. Size and play time are big assets. While the OS isn't perfect, it's quite functional and their engineers seem to have spent a lot of quality time on the codecs.

I also don't see any issue with my AK120. It worked very well from day one and plays everything. I'm not a playlist guy so maybe that makes these players more accommodating to me but the AK120 is very modern, complete and stable in it's OS.

My Studio V/Rocco had problems just REBUILDING the freaking database with my 64gb microSD card. Everytime I turned it on, it stayed at the "rebuilding" (or whatever) screen for MORE THAN 10 MINUTES (totally unacceptable of course). Random crashes too and since it seems I have too many files, the player crapped out. I even deleted ALL my album covers, "fixed" my tags just in case (using a guide "Lee" created), etc.

$300 and THAT?!?!
UNACCEPTABLE!! My cheapo Sansa and Cowon NEVER took longer than 1 minute booting up and/or rebuilding the libraries (and mind you, the C2 does that every time you turn it on too!).

So, maybe you don't have 50gb+ o files varying in MP3s, WAVs, FLACs, etc. and maybe you don't see other issues others have had and if so, GOOD FOR YOU! For those of us with problems well, we are definitely going to be vocal about it.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #51 of 1,456
Generally due to a file issue and it was never spec'd for 64gb. I've only used up to 32gb which I've had filed with a mix of Flac, AAC and WAV. These devices obviously aren't for everyone. Opinions will vary and you're certainly entitled to yours. I get that they're rather sparse in features and OS but I've never had read or play issues. I've also dropped it a couple times on a hard surface and while not as pretty as new, works like it.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #52 of 1,456

The problem is they are playing the same proprietary crap that apple is. If they included a micro SD slot this would be a non-issue. They basically keep shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. They can't expect to get away with it either. Now apple can because it's apple lol.

Really? No SD on their new unit? Sony is so capable but do operate in a vacuum.

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #53 of 1,456
I can afford to purchase any (and all) of the “audiophile” DAPs, but I haven't bought a single one of them simply because I no longer have a desire to deal with the problems of early adoption. I went through all that with Windows Mobile in the early 2000s. It was Microsoft (the preeminent software maker). It was frustrating on a daily basis. If I had a dollar for every occasion I hit the reset button on various Windows Mobile devices, I'd be a millionaire.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned CompuServe. Yes, I also remember when Netscape wanted to charge for a better internet browser and RealPlayer wanted to charge for a better media player. The big players stepped in and offered similar (and better) products for "free".

I'm hoping Samsung will get better still at delivering quality sound through its chips (as well as other venders). And, it does appear the big players are getting better and are acknowledging the existence of consumers who crave better audio quality. I'm on my way out the door right now to go listen too the Snapdragon 800 SoC sound on a new smartphone. I hope it is (at least) an incremental step forward.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #55 of 1,456
  I can afford to purchase any (and all) of the “audiophile” DAPs, but I haven't bought a single one of them simply because I no longer have a desire to deal with the problems of early adoption.

I really want to find the excuse to donate my money (badly) to get those so called high-end gears but I just can't find one. The reason? Because what I am having now has exceeded my (low) expectations for portable/desk music, period. Then the DIY thing has made it even worse. I hate the head-fi for gettign me into the DIY crap.

Unlike other audiophiles, my ears and brain can ONLY tolerate one pair of iem's once I am used to that sound sig. I know I have a pair of defected ears but that's unfortunate.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #56 of 1,456
You mean the one with the non-replacable, non-expandable memory for your hi-def 1Gb + files? I don't see that as proper, exactly. My DX-50 right now has a 64 Gb Micro SD card, a 128 Gb thumb drive and may eventually have a 1 Tb hard drive. At the least, I could buy another 128 Gb thumb drive and swap them (one for HD Classical, one for HD Rock/Jazz, maybe) or get a 256 Gb thumb drive when prices come down. What's the point of a HD player with seriously limited storage?

Kevin

I would rather have a good sounding dap with no expandable memory or low memory than a so-so dap with a lot of memory, is not like I will never use the computer again if I leave my house, you can always add or delete songs, is not a cd pleyer you know.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #57 of 1,456

My Studio V/Rocco had problems just REBUILDING the freaking database with my 64gb microSD card. Everytime I turned it on, it stayed at the "rebuilding" (or whatever) screen for MORE THAN 10 MINUTES (totally unacceptable of course). Random crashes too and since it seems I have too many files, the player crapped out. I even deleted ALL my album covers, "fixed" my tags just in case (using a guide "Lee" created), etc.

$300 and THAT?!?!
UNACCEPTABLE!! My cheapo Sansa and Cowon NEVER took longer than 1 minute booting up and/or rebuilding the libraries (and mind you, the C2 does that every time you turn it on too!).

So, maybe you don't have 50gb+ o files varying in MP3s, WAVs, FLACs, etc. and maybe you don't see other issues others have had and if so, GOOD FOR YOU! For those of us with problems well, we are definitely going to be vocal about it.

I can understand where you are coming from in this respects. With 10,000 mp3 files or more it would definitely take a long time to boot up on each restart. In that regards it is very stupid. Since the player already builds a data base on the initial scan I see no reason for it to have to do that extra scan at each start up as it is redundant. But in my case since I use all WAV and use to use FLAC, it take me less than 40 seconds each start up due to having 750 or less files on each card. It actually took about 45 seconds to boot up a 64 GB card with about 2000 flac files. Or it might have been around 1700. Not sure now. But since I've done a mod to the firmware it has slightly increased the boot times but the overall sound is better.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #58 of 1,456
Cyclical threads like this tend to be quite inward-looking because whilst the profile of what Head-Fi is all about continues to grow, it is not yet mass-market penetration. The present and future of consumer electronics is portability, convergence and connectivity.

Once upon a time I owned the Sony HD3 and later the A845. At present own the Clip+ and Clip Zip although they are so cheap they can be considered throwaway money. But I have largely moved on and that is despite many demo with many toys like the AK line. If there was profit then companies would offer it. Also complaining about niche players submitting promising hardware spec but having flawed software implementation does work both ways - I for one will not buy until they step up their game. Evidently plenty on Head-Fi will accept compromise judging by the length of impression threads. I do not see what incentive there is to improve software engineering if the bottom line is not affected and we are talking years with some of these companies. Why I am at present committed to computer and iDevice dacs. Praise / Scorn is up to the individual but you cannot accuse the iDevice product category of not being dependable and predictable - in a good way.

Case in point: copy and paste this thread, replacing "daps" with "Beats" and it would read fine.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #60 of 1,456
We clearly prefer them based on sound quality alone. It's pretty much the reason we even deal with the poorer UI experience. Not that I think its a plus in that regards. Although the AK line in particular is the closest to getting it right, but still not quite there. Plus their pricing is generally questionable vs comparable units that even sound better for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back