The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Mar 1, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #242 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you.

Not a problem
smily_headphones1.gif
luckily for myself my only headphones are jh-13s, and i already had the TWag recable, so im just getting them reterminated and then an adaptor so i can still use them with single ended sources.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #243 of 837
Just want to make clear since the word "provided" is being used that this was a connector Ray provided to jamato - there is no provided cable with the protector and Ray won't provide you with one. You have to make your own, re-terminate your own cable or go to a third party.

Unfortunatly the only third parties selling so far are offering luxury products with silver wire and exotic wood splitters.

Big gap in the market for a seasoned DIYer to make some money with reasonably priced equivellents...
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #245 of 837
I've contacted double helix cables and zx audio in regards to custom adapters and cables compatible with the Protector. I'm still waiting for a response. I know whiplash audio will reterminate any cable sent for a fee. I can't imagine Ray not offering his own cables and adapters upon the Protectors release. Will have to wait and see.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #246 of 837
One thing I have noticed about the Protector is that it neutral. I make my own IC's of different configurations and I have some of other makes. Sometimes I have a hard time hearing much difference but with the Protector I can tell as the connector does a better job. It is very revealing of anything upstream and just sounds better and better as the signal being fed it increases in quality.

Enjoying the music is what this amp is all about.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #247 of 837
has anyone made a female protector plug- 3.5mm male adapter? i'm looking at the female protector, and since it's designed to be mounted, i'm wondering how effective it would be as an adapter.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #250 of 837
i dont know much about the electronic stuff such as voltage, ohm, etc.
i asked this question in ray's pre-order thread but it wasnt answered.
someone help, please!

a popular amp built by another company is said to have 2-cell (8.4V) battery (i dont want to bring up its name in this thread). the protector has 16.8 volts.
does that mean the protector (in single-ended mode) has twice-stronger power to drive big cans?

Mar 4, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #253 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by xuan87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh and jamato, if it's possible, can you list some flaws of the Protector? i always like a 'balanced' review, pun definitely intended hahahah

I am not ignoring you but I haven't found anything that stands out. I will be very happy when others get their hands on this amp. The better the upstream feed to this amp the better it sound. The fault I have is I listen too much. The JH13's with the TWag balanced cable and the Protector seem like they were made for each other. I am using the dual optical in MB-2 dac that Ryuzoh is handling. With the lossless feed from m iRiver H140 the transparency and drive with this chain of electronics is totally top tier. I was tired of Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" but this setup breaths new life into it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #254 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not ignoring you but I haven't found anything that stands out. I will be very happy when others get their hands on this amp. The better the upstream feed to this amp the better it sound. The fault I have is I listen too much. The JH13's with the TWag balanced cable and the Protector seem like they were made for each other. I am using the dual optical in MB-2 dac that Ryuzoh is handling. With the lossless feed from m iRiver H140 the transparency and drive with this chain of electronics is totally top tier. I was tired of Eric Clapton's "Unplugged" but this setup breaths new life into it.

haha i understand what you mean. i got that feeling when i first tried the HF-2 and the little dot mkiii. no portable amp has left that kind of impression on me before but the Protector can be the 1st!

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #255 of 837
ATH-ES10

I am listening to them balanced with the Protector. Very nice. Solid bass that is well controlled. You can tell the phones have a bit more bass delivery than the ESW10. Not sure if I like the bass peak but in other areas they are great fun balanced with excellent depth to the sound and good stage width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back