The RSA Protector balanced portable: Images and impressions 1st page, Please post your impressions . .
Feb 24, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #226 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soup,
Fair enough, but I'm not really talking about the broader cables debate, which I'm not interested in throwing my hat into.

On this very simple and limited issue I do need some clariffication and whatever my own views on cable, for this question I will assume that wire does make a difference for the sake of avoidng tangents.

If I put it like this -

Let's put down the cable debate and assume for the sake of argument that wire used does make a difference.

Within this world-view and ignoring all broader on-going debates -

Can anyone give me a logical reason on how using wire in an interconnect that is thicker than the wire in the headphone cable make any difference.

A logical reason.

If no one can I'll assume the claim, as it sounds, is nonsense.

in that case, the only logical case for that would be that the length of the interconnect could be longer than the headphone cable, and thus a thicker gauge would limit the resistance to a value in line with the headphone cables value. Though i dont know what difference that would make. Though digital cables are a different ball game, they run at frequencies much higher than audible, and i guess skin effect could be a factor?? though i dont know on that one.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #227 of 837
Thanks Soup,
So a short interconnect, a simple adapter like that which is called for in this case, there would be no advantages to using wire any thicker than the wire in the headphone cable?

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #228 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Soup,
So a short interconnect, a simple adapter like that which is called for in this case, there would be no advantages to using wire any thicker than the wire in the headphone cable?

I dont want to go against what ray said, since he is the one that designed the amp, and is one of the few that has listened to it, but from a logical standpoint i would say no. But what in this hobby is logical
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #229 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what in this hobby is logical
tongue.gif

So true!
biggrin.gif

I understand that after the work Ray's put into this amp he wants people to be using a high quality adapter with it, and might be worried that people might not get the best by botching their own jobs.

A solution would be to get his team to produce some and offer them along with the amp at a reasonable mark up people will be happy to pay.

I'm not some one who objects to a bit of a big mark up to save me trouble of learning a new skill and a lot of time.

I'll accept buying a balanced cable running several feet, nicely finished, for $100 because that saves me a lot of time and effort and will probably be significantly more durable than my own effort would. I know that in terms of material used I'm getting a bit ripped off, but I don't mind paying that much for the convenience of being able to sit on my backside and wait for it to arrive. I'm a lazy guy.
wink.gif

But there are limits...

This is a whole different story. We are talking about a minimal amount of wire I could cannabalise from old headphones or interconnects I already have, two female XLR connectors for a couple of quid each, and the connector Ray is selling for $2.50 each.

There is no way I could look myself in the mirror without shame if I paid the sort of outrageous prices these MOT are offering. ($150 for an adapter that could be made for £10).

I'm looking forward to enjoying this amp, but I don't want it to come pre-packaged with a feeling of embarrassment and irritation over being ripped off on the adapter.

So it's got to be DIY.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #230 of 837
So I have been listening single ended for a while with the Ultrasone Ed. 9 and I am impressed. While they are easy to drive, for me, they also change easily according to what they are being fed. The detail and clean fast dynamics impresses but what surprises me is the width and depth of the sound field and any noticeable compression of that field on loud passages.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #232 of 837
No, you will have to build or buy an adapter for that. It just comes with the connector that fits in the plug on the amp.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #234 of 837
You need to get an adapter. Not uncommon with many things. I can use some lenses that are for SLR's on my Leica rangefinder, with an adapter. There are several different balanced connectors and not one fits all. So you get an adapter. And if you were to use the large balanced connectors with something like the JH13 Pros, it would defeat the purpose of having lightweight IEM's with a portable balanced amp. So what you get is a small balanced connector that is inexpensive and easy to implement.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #236 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of the adaptor, have you had any trouble with the connector chosen for the protector? Such as problems with its inability to rotate?

Not yet. I wasn't sure if having it non rotating would be an issue but it has not turned out to be one. I have used the Protector in my jacket pocket, tossed in a small backpack on my back and in my cargo pocket in my pants and there was no problem with the cable. The way the male and female connectors are made they fit together very well and I was surprised at how strong the material is for the casing of the plug is. I bought 5 and with my fingers tried to pinch together the case before it was applied to the inner shell and could not do any damage. Now with the whole plug snapped together it is even stronger so the connection and plug appears to be very well thought out and built for long use and many, many, multiple repeated connections. I doubt anyone is ever going to wear this out.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #237 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not yet. I wasn't sure if having it non rotating would be an issue but it has not turned out to be one. I have used the Protector in my jacket pocket, tossed in a small backpack on my back and in my cargo pocket in my pants and there was no problem with the cable. The way the male and female connectors are made they fit together very well and I was surprised at how strong the material is for the casing of the plug is. I bought 5 and with my fingers tried to pinch together the case before it was applied to the inner shell and could not do any damage. Now with the whole plug snapped together it is even stronger so the connection and plug appears to be very well thought out and built for long use and many, many, multiple repeated connections. I doubt anyone is ever going to wear this out.

thanks for the info jamato
smily_headphones1.gif
now we just gotta hope other manufacturers dont use another different connector for their balanced portable amps, or at least wait till the general response comes back after the release of the protector.

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #238 of 837
jmato8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is very easy to terminate the stock cable with the connector being used and you can buy a new cable for not much money. The cable I am using right now is terminated as a standard balanced cable and then uses an adapter going to the balanced termination plug that the Protector uses, as seen in previous images. It is a cable and adapter that Ray has made. The wire is the special military wire he uses for his IC's and the sound is excellent.

Hi jamato8 I apologize for being a balanced noob here. What exactly is on the end of your re terminated headphone cable that works with the supplied cable adapter that ray has made? I greatly appreciate all the info you have given us headfiers regarding the Protector. Keep up the good work!

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Do!

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #240 of 837
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jmato8

Hi jamato8 I apologize for being a balanced noob here. What exactly is on the end of your re terminated headphone cable that works with the supplied cable adapter that ray has made? I greatly appreciate all the info you have given us headfiers regarding the Protector. Keep up the good work!

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Do!

I am pretty sure the adaptor that ray provided is a 2 x 3 pin XLR female to protector connector male. Though one could also made from a 4 pin XLR as well. Or for IEMs im pretty sure that jamato just got a new cable with the protector connector on the end so it can be used without an adaptor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back