The RIAA has officially crossed the line.
Dec 30, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #16 of 60
I hope they cross the BIG line someday, IE vanish from the face of earth or something.
mad.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #18 of 60
Every time someone connected with the RIAA pulls a PR nightmare like this or sues a 90 year old grandmother or 8 year old child they become weaker.

Every time Microsoft per Zune sold or Canada with recording media, etc. taxes to pay labels under the assumption they will be used illegally the RIAA gets stronger.

As others have mentioned, this was one of the points of the Diamond Rio case (that helped usher in DAPs).

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 60
A year ago I purchased the Bruce Hornsby Box set Intersections. I copied the CD's to my computer to so I could move copies to my MP3 played (Sansa) After doing so I found that disks 2, 3, and 4 had the same track information as disk 1. I contacted the Hornsby marketing company who in turn contacted the record company BMG about my concern. BMG replaced my box set.

RIAA is out tagging people for making 'illegal' copies for their own use but from my experience the records companies, at least BMG, doesn't care.

What are these guy smoking?

Dec 30, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the ultimate goal of the riaa is pay per listen
this is what they really want

Sounds credible. :| So, let's expect another Digital Rights Management feature: files protected from playing more than a certain number of times. The more you pay, the more times you can listen to the file. I can yet imagine the "special offers" - 20% FREE, pay for 10 sessions, listen 12 times! LOL.

Dec 30, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 60
So where does that leave those of us with a home music server?
Is my Squeezebox illegal in their eyes? How absurd.
I guess apple will be issuing a new mandatory update to remove ripping from iTunes?

They really haven't thought this through have they?

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 60
The RIAA is a business with an obsolete business model trying to go against the trends of the time. Although I wish that they'd give up the fight already; hadn't they had enough after suing a dead person?

Dec 30, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #26 of 60
One of the comments from engadget:
Quote:

This story is still not be reported correctly. The court briefing states that copying a CD to a computer in MP3 format and putting it in their shared KAZA folder is what made the copies illegal.

Not as bad as we originally thought, but the RIAA still does consider ripped copies illegal so this thread may continue without modification
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ataraxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RIAA is a business with an obsolete business model trying to go against the trends of the time. Although I wish that they'd give up the fight already; hadn't they had enough after suing a dead person?

The RIAA is an OBSOLETE business with an obsolete business model. They should give up the fight already, as there is no way to stop the piracy. They stupidly thought copy protection would do it, but pirates simply used the analog feed, bypassing the copy protection. The allure of digital from the start, I'm guessing here, was control over the media, back in the days when everyone [me included] was copying everything to R2R, 8-track, or cassette. They have failed miserably, after spending, I'm sure, untold millions of dollars to regain control. Now they are lashing out blindly at anyone who falls into their sights, and the pirates still operate with impunity. Any weekend, I can go to local flea markets where pirated CD's and DVD's are sold openly. Where are the agents of the RIAA?? They're suing people for huge amounts, and seem incapable of identifying real culprits. They must have some clone of Fred Phelps on the board.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Laz

Dec 30, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geez, who even uses Kazaa nowadays. I mean apart from the script kiddies putting out viruses and trojans..

That's not the point - sharing/P2P in general is. But again, as mentioned, the old dinosaurs are still contesting that ripping a copy for personal use is illegal regardless of where it ends up, so the discussion still holds water.

I say we stage a massive silent protest, coordinating big pow-wows at the big 4's headquarters where we sit, listen to our DAPs and share music with one another.

I'll bring the cocktails...

Dec 30, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the ultimate goal of the riaa is pay per listen
this is what they really want

And they won't stop until they mandate microchips to be implanted in all of our brains to automatically charge us with each listen, even if you hear a song in passing. Or even think about a song.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back