The RIAA has officially crossed the line.
Dec 30, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #31 of 60
A one day "no CD, no MP3" boycott might be a good idea. I would suggest doing on the day of the next inductions into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, to demonstrate that the musicians are more important than the companies...

Dec 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the comments from engadget:

Not as bad as we originally thought, but the RIAA still does consider ripped copies illegal so this thread may continue without modification
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, the RIAA is still working at doing away with the Home Recording Act and every Fair Use law.

-Ed

Dec 30, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #33 of 60
I completely agree that the RIAA is an OBSOLETE business with an obsolete business model trying to hold on for dear life. I hope they DIE!!!!

I now try to avoid buying new CD's. Used is where it is at. I especially try to avoid Sony CD's because of their "brilliant" root kit idea. I'm all for supporting an artist - I just don't support scare and bully tactics by major corporations.

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Diamond, 9th Circuit, etc.

Well, so much for my memory...

I guess they are expecting to hit the target if they just shoot blindly enough times.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #35 of 60
So what? Are you going to stop just because someone told you to?

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #36 of 60
OK, guys. Check /., it links to something a bit more enlightening. They are moving from actively sharing to negligence as worthy of suing. So it's not a major line-crossing, but another straw. Poor camel.

Dec 31, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #38 of 60
Music industry executives are completely bonkers. Almost no one under the age of 30 has a standalone CD player any longer. By intending to kill the use of DAPs, they're intending to destroy their entire market. Great idea.

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #39 of 60
So what's the solution? Should we be able to download whatever music we want for free? Just because we have an outlet to do so doesn't mean we should be able to. If we follow this course, people will demand that anything that can be downloaded (or uploaded) via the internet be considered free and unrestricted - movies, books, software, etc.

While the current music distribution system may be outdated, no one has come up with a better solution on how to do it over the internet. Another part of the problem is that no matter what the solution is, there will be people who will be unhappy - whether it's the record companies, the artists, the fans who can't get music in the format they want (e.g. lossless), or the fans who may not have access to a computer or high speed connection.

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"If you make unauthorized copies of copyrighted music recordings, you're stealing."

I'm stealing from myself?

NO! You're stealing from the artists, who *sniff* spend all their time and money to *wipe tear* deliver you their best efforts, while you just STEAL it
mad.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #41 of 60
I don't know who this RIAA guy is, but I'm all for setting his house on fire.

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know who this RIAA guy is, but I'm all for setting his house on fire.

..and if he catches on fire I'm all for pissing on him to put it out, but only after he's been smoldering for a good while
mad.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..and if he catches on fire I'm all for pissing on him to put it out, but only after he's been smoldering for a good while
mad.gif

We could pee on him then set him on fire.

Dec 31, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we'd need to make sure we left some dry bits or we'll be there all night...

I can chug some kerosene before we go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back