The RIAA has officially crossed the line.
Dec 30, 2007 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Edwood

1/2 hamster, 1/2 Turkish∙ Blueteething
They've been making veiled threats about considering Ripping your own CD's for your own use as a crime.

washingtonpost.com

Total BS. I hope Jeffrey Howell wins the case and wins a counter suit.

Total nonsense. I guess the RIAA can't win against real piracy so now they're actually suing paying customers. Way to go.

-Ed

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 60
Diamond. That is the first name that springs to mind. There is a case, merely eight or nine years old, where the big ol' dudes (that would be SCOTUS) said it's OK. What angle are they going to try to use to wiggle out of it?

How can it not be argued, with your mouth gagged, that format-shifting, and convenient media libraries, have been beneficial, through means that SCOTUS has ruled for several times? Do we need to give them that old (well, it's old now) lecture that starts from the player piano?

eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Add to all of that, that when I buy, I get a sales receipt. As long as I stay on my side of the copyright fence, the copyright holders have no authority over my use of the material I purchased. That's sort of the whole point of copyright.

I wonder if they want to put it through SCOTUS again, hoping that maybe by the 50th time, they will get an affirmative. After all, we indeed don't have quite the same environment as when the Diamond case went through.

Dec 30, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 60
the RIAA crossed that line years ago. they are now fully in the business of drawing their own lines to cross.
look at what's been going on with many bit torrent sites in recent years. they are playing by their own rules, resorting to intimidation and threats with little regard for legal primacy.

Dec 30, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 60
Funny, no sad that their industry lawyer, Ira Schwartz, argues that MP3 files from legally bought CDs are "unauthorized copies" of copyrighted recordings. One only wonders what mp3 player he, Jonathan Lamy (RIAA spokesman), their children/families and the rest of their henchmen use and what they’re loaded with
rolleyes.gif

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by cerbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Diamond. That is the first name that springs to mind. There is a case, merely eight or nine years old, where the big ol' dudes (that would be SCOTUS) said it's OK. What angle are they going to try to use to wiggle out of it?

Recording Industrial Association of America v. Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. was decided in 1999 by the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

The Diamond Multimedia case did not directly address whether it is legal to rip one's own CDs to a hard drive for personal use. Instead, the decision focused on whether the Rio player was a "digital audio recording device" as defined by the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992. The RIAA was attempting to obtain an injunction stopping sales of the Rio because it did not employ the Serial Copy Management System required under the AHRA for any "digital audio recording device." RIAA argued, in essence, that the Rio was a "digital audio recording device" because it recorded music stored as MP3s on a computer hard drive. Both the trial court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals rejected this contention. The court held that the the Rio was not required to employ a Serial Copy Management System because it received MP3 files from a computer hard drive, and the express language of the statute makes it clear that the computer hard drives are not within the scope of the definition of "digital audio recording device" as defined by the AHRA. The court held, "Under the plain meaning of the Act's definition of digital audio recording devices, computers (and their hard drives) are not digital audio recording devices because their 'primary purpose' is not to make digital audio copied recordings."

The court then went on to make the following observation, which is relevant to this thread:
Quote:

In fact, the Rio's operation is entirely consistent with the Act's main purpose -- the facilitation of personal use. As the Senate Report explains, "[t]he purpose of[the Act] is to ensure the right of consumers to make analog or digital audio recordings of copyrighted music for their private, noncommercial use." S. Rep. 102-294, at *86 (emphasis added). The Act does so through its home taping exemption, see 17 U.S.C.S 1008, which "protects all noncommercial copying by consumers of digital and analog musical recordings," H.R. Rep. 102-873(I), at *59. The Rio merely makes copies in order to render portable, or "space-shift," those files that already reside on a user's hard drive. Cf. Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, 464 U.S. 417, 455 (1984) (holding that "time-shifting" of copyrighted television shows with VCR's constitutes fair use under the Copyright Act, and thus is not an infringement). Such copying is paradigmatic non-commercial personal use entirely consistent with the purposes of the Act.

The court then went on to discuss whether the Rio was capable of reproducing a digital music recording "from a transmission," which would also have subjected it to the provisions of the AHRA, and determined that the Rio did not have that capability.

There are several important things to note about the Diamond Multimedia decision. First, unlike the Sony decision that it references, Diamond Multimedia was not decided by the United States Supreme Court, but by the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Thus, its holding, strictly speaking, is not binding on federal courts elsewhere in the country, although it certainly constitutes what lawyers call "persuasive authority." Second, the case involved interpretation of the AHRA, and not interpretation of the Copyright Act. Though the portion that I've quoted above strongly suggests that the Ninth Circuit would find that ripping CDs to one's own computer for personal use falls within the fair use exception to the Copyright Act, that issue was not before the court, and the court's observation is thus arguably what lawyers call "dicta." Dicta is not a binding statement of the law.

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #12 of 60
Now they have to outlaw pens & paper. I might copy the lyrics longhand.

Dec 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now they have to outlaw pens & paper. I might copy the lyrics longhand.

Actually, that type of copying is precisely what the Copyright Act was originally intended to address.

Dec 30, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the RIAA crossing the line would mean going back to the good side.

I have the same feeling.
RIAA crossed the line several years ago. If they were to cross the line again, they would cross over to the good side.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back